Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Coating Rem Stainless >

Coating Rem Stainless

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Coating Rem Stainless

Old 01-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Spike

Default Coating Rem Stainless

I've noticed the spectrum of light at twilight hours makes Remington stainless glow like a Star Wars light saber.

What process do y'all recommend to coat these parts.

I've observed many game animals and predators spooked by the Remington stainless.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can have it dipped in a cammo finsih. Usually around $200 fee.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cheapest option, Allen gun wrap or even cheaper, "Vet wrap". Doesn't ruin a nice looking barrel either.

Next cheapest would be a DIY Krylon job.

Or Duracoat it yourself. The aerosol kit is cheap, and works better than you'd expect. Buy extra aerosol's though, as you'll go through more than you expect, and dab the tip after each spray to clear droplets from the nozzle.

Bead blast the barrel to take the shine off of it. Last couple I had done were $50-75.

Parkerize, pro-duracoat, cerakote, camo dip, take your pick. They're your underwear, pick what you like. Anywhere from $100 to $300.

Honestly, I have never believed game was spooked by my stainless barrel. By the time an animal sees my barrel, it's far too close, in any light.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Spike

I've done a purposeful test on a few occasions. Probably will go with tape and a Krylon job. Damn M-7 LSS with trigger costed enough already.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Spike

Good enough

http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/gun-...o-gun-kit.html
Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ferguson Outfitters
I've done a purposeful test on a few occasions.
Since I cut my teeth as an experimental scientist, I'd be very interested to hear your procedure if you can elaborate on what you did to prove out your theory? This gets kicked around a lot, it'd be interesting to know there was conclusive evidence out there that stainless barrels spook game.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:29 AM
Spike

All stainless barrels don't spook game, whatever remington does glows in the dark about 15 minutes past sunset and right at sunrise. I don't have any scientific test but I have moved my barrel just the slightest and it made deer explode at 70 yards and the same with yotes and bobcats. Think about how dark it is at that time, and think about that distance,think about with my eye its brighter than my dayglo orange hat. Even when I'm on the ground with a dark backdrop, they can see it.

My Rugers don't glow and one of them is bright stainless.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure I think stainless barrels are reflective enough to be bad in general, but that being said I also don't like flashy barrels and only have a couple stainless barrels...and all of them are "dull" in finish. That being said, I don't really think a flashy barrel makes all that much difference and mostly agree with Nomercy. But...my primary whitetail rifle (Tikka T3) appears to be lightly bead blasted from the factory and my new custom rifle has a stainless Lilja barrel on it...which I opted to have the barrel lightly bead blasted to keep the "shine" down...well worth the $40 added onto a $1500 build. IMO, bead blast it if you want...best bang for your buck to reduce reflection.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Spike

It looks bead blasted. My Marlins, Kimbers, Winchesters, Rugers, and everything else, doesn't have this phenomenom.

It happens with the Rem Mountain and M-7
Old 01-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Ferguson, its your hunt and rifle, but I'm with Nomercy and emtrescue on this. I have two Rem 700s with stainless barrels that I've successfully used on numerous hunts in Montana, Northwest Territories, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.

Kind of like Nomercy wrote, if an animal is close enough to see the "glow" of my stainless barrel, he is either already dead or I don't plan on shooting him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.