Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
1st post & first shotgun?? >

1st post & first shotgun??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1st post & first shotgun??

Old 01-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DJfan
You'll love the Mossberg 500.
I like mine !

I've got more expensive shotguns than my 500 but none I like any better.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive heard from quite a few people that the 870s are not made as well as they once were. I got mine used over 20 years ago and the blue is still not wearing although the wood is where my hand sits.

My 870 feels like a much heavier duty gun than my 500 but neither have ever failed. The 500 is lighter.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Spike

Default Maybe some used ones instead???

Originally Posted by Frankwhoa
I'm looking to purchase my first shotgun soon. I'm on a budget, cheaper is better. I have read over and over about the 870 and 500's.
I would like to get a combo kit with two barrels but I know little about types of ammo as they pertain to types of game.
I'll be primarily hunting rabbit and squirrel, then perhaps some deer, duck, and maybe turkey.

What length and type of barrels would I need for each:

Small Game -

Deer -

Duck -

Turkey -
Frank
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I was just talking to a buddy of mine and he wants to sell me his dads old shotguns since he doesn't hunt much and these are relatively cheaper (replaceable) models.
They are:

Rem 870 Express

Moss 500

Moss 835

Charles Daly kbi-hbg

I think he wants about $100 ea? Seems like a really good deal on some moderately used shotguns, huh?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

$100 for an 870 is a good deal. Used one's are going for the price you can get a new one for.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I was just talking to a buddy of mine and he wants to sell me his dads old shotguns since he doesn't hunt much and these are relatively cheaper (replaceable) models.
They are:

Rem 870 Express

Moss 500

Moss 835

Charles Daly kbi-hbg

I think he wants about $100 ea? Seems like a really good deal on some moderately used shotguns, huh?
$100 each is a good deal if they all work!!! You will have a 3-1/2" in the 835 for turkey, duck and goose if you choose to fire the roman candles. You will also have the 870 and 500 to play with and if I read it right the Charles Daily is a Side x Side? If you don't care for it, sell it and get a deer barrel for the 500 or 870!!!! All problems solved!!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are:

Rem 870 Express

Moss 500

Moss 835

Charles Daly kbi-hbg

Buy them all........or be the nice guy and tell him that is way to cheap.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Buy them all........
That's what I was thinking!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
You don't miss too many chances to bash Remington.

The 870 Express is not intended to be a well finished gun (no pretty blued finish), but otherwise it is the same as every other 870 - old or new. It is my choice for duck hunting when I am either is a swamp or boat where guns tend to get beat up. They operate exactly the same as my Wingmaster models but do take a little more time to break in, I think due to the finish. I did have one Express model that had evidently been sent from the factory with some sort of gunk in the chamber but a couple of twists with a dowel wrapped with steel wool fixed that quickly.

I have both Wingmaster and Express models in both 12 ga and 20 ga. They are solid and reliable guns, the Express is obviously intended to be a lower priced version due to it's finish and type of wood in the stock. There is nothing at all wrong with them and their quality is just fine.

The "cutting corners" comment seems inappropriate to me.
When I see someone asking for information about Remington in general an 870s in particular, I don't think it's unreasonable to relate my experiences and dissatisfaction with my two Remington purchases. I do not think "bashing" is a fair characterization of what I am doing. I own some older Rems, which are just fine.

After my purchases, I originally questioned Remington's quality generally, but I've come to the conclusion that my experiences are probably limited to Rem's lower price point (although I don't own one, I've heard plenty of bad about the 770 series as well, which would fit with my experience with lower end Rems). The OP was asking about affordable shotguns, so I belivee my comments are pertinent to him.

Before giving Rem a pass simply because these are their cheaper lines, I'd point out that I buy other manufactures at this price point as well (mostly Savage) and don't have the same complaints.
My other Rem purchase was a low-end ML (Genesis) which suffers from some of the same problems.

Anyways, the OP asked about 870s and said "cheaper is better." That's what I bought, and I figured it would be good if he understood what he was thinking of buying.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy

After my purchases, I originally questioned Remington's quality generally, but I've come to the conclusion that my experiences are probably limited to Rem's lower price point...

Your comment included the phrases "I think the quality has slipped at Rem recently." and "cutting corners" without any qualification as to whether it was their lower priced products or full priced products. That is casting a wide net and being negative about all things associated with the brand. In this context I think the label "bashing" is fair, and you seldom pass an opportunity to make similar statements.

I am probably guilty of bashing certain products also but I am trying to kick the habit. I made the mistake of responding to a post once about "best and worst" scopes for reliability and offended some loyal owners.

Apples to apples: Do you have a new Express that is lower quality than an old Express?

I have several Express models, both old and new, and see no difference. I also have a few Wingmasters (the full price 870), both old and new, and see no difference. The same can be said of the 700 rifles (I have quite a few). Those are the only Remington products that I have that are both old and new, but I see no evidence of declining quality when comparing apples to apples.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

I think my comments were qualified by stating exactly what my experiences were and what it was that I objected to. Immediately after I stated my opinion about quality slipping, I stated the reason for that belief. Moreover, I do not recall ever saying anything negative about Remington outside of a response to a specific request for information. I don't think I ever stated an "I hate Rem" thread or anything like that. I'm just relating my personal experiences and the conclusions I've drawn from them. If that's "bashing," then, I guess I'll be continuing to "bash."

(by the way, what you view as "seldom pass[ing]an opportunity to make similar statements," I'd call providing relevant information in response to an OP's request for information)

Last edited by Murdy; 01-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.