HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Best .22 semi-auto rifle? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/38878-best-22-semi-auto-rifle.html)

glock9mm 10-02-2003 08:07 AM

Best .22 semi-auto rifle?

im thinking about buying a new .22 ive owned a few ruger 10/22s before but i was wondering about the remington 597. anyone out there ever own both of them? if so how do they compare? which one would u say is better? they are both about the same price arent they? around $140 the last time i checked. i would appreciate any responces, thanks

Nomercy 10-02-2003 10:23 AM

RE: Best .22 semi-auto rifle?

Getting a 10/22 for $140 new isn' t really easy to find anymore, but you can still find them that cheap, usually closer to $180 is a good price for one around here.

In my opinion, you can' t beat a Marlin mod-60 for price and ruggedness, they' re tough as nails, and as long as you do your part and don' t go a thousand rounds before cleaning or oiling it, they' re incredibly reliable, I' ve never once had my five year old marlin 60 jam, and my 40yr old marlin 99 (mod 60 action, different asthetics) has only jammed one time since I' ve had it. My father' s 30yr old Marlin 66 (mod 60 plus one round extra cap and different stock), until the ejector broke, had only jammed on him 7 times that he could remember, deservingly so under the conditions at the time (while coon hunting with dogs, your gun doesn' t always get a ' pampered ride' ). The reliability and accuracy are right on or better than the rugers, you just don' t get a detachable magazine, and you save yourself a grant bill ($50 for those less familiar with his face).

The remington is pure crap, I might take it if someone gave it to me, but otherwise, I' d never spend one red cent on one.

BareBack Jack 10-02-2003 11:04 AM

I have had a marlin 60 with the 10 shot clip for 20 years and have never had one problem.I put thousands of round through it every summer shooting gofers and the accuracy is excelent.I know rugers are good and reliable but for the price I would go with the marlin with the tube magazine,17 vs 10 shots.

I never shot the 597 but I had that viper POS that never worked.

Vapodog 10-02-2003 01:33 PM

Marlin 60 tube feed.....love it

Marlin makes more .22 rim fire rifles than all the other companies put together.

driftrider 10-02-2003 01:38 PM

I highly recommend the Ruger 10/22. I' ve had the standard grade carbine version for years and it' s never let me down. One thing I really appreciate about it is its compact size and low weight. It' s a great rifle for toting around the thicker woods looking for squirrels. It is easily maneuvered in close quarters and carrying it around all day without a sling isn' t a chore. If you want a real nice looking, tack driving version, Ruger makes a version of the 10/22 with a very sharp looking spiral hammer forged bull barrel and laminate stock and I THINK it also has a better trigger. I think this high-end version sells for in the ballpark of $300-350, which isn' t too bad for what you get.

I' ve also found it to be a very accurate and reliable rifle if you feed it the right ammo. My 10/22 likes only high velocity rounds and really likes copper plated bullets. I' ve found that the Winchester Super-X high velocity .22LR loads are the best and it' s never malfunctioned with them. The 10/22 is also great if you ever feel like customizing it to your liking. Aftermarket support for the 10/22 is great so it' s very easy to get trigger upgrades, aftermarket barrels, stocks, and such. I' ve found that my 10/22 is great without any of the fancy upgrades, but the option is always there.

One can' t go wrong with the 10/22. And heed the warning about the Remington 597. It is the biggest POS autoloading .22LR I' ve ever seen. Every person I' ve ever met who' s owned one says that reliability is crap. I don' t quite know what Remington was thinking when they introduced the 597, but it' s a rifle to be avoided at all costs. I think it only sells at all because of Remington' s otherwise good name.

Mike

ButchA 10-02-2003 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

Marlin 60 tube feed.....love it

Marlin makes more .22 rim fire rifles than all the other companies put together.
Yeah!!!! :D Another vote for the tried and true Marlin Model 60. I had one back when I was 14 years old and loved it. Now decades later, I got another one and the quality and feel is exactly the same. **As long as you take care of the Mod 60, it will last a lifetime. Mod 60' s can get " finicky" if they are not kept squeaky clean.**

Butch

mlaubner 10-02-2003 03:33 PM

while you are " test driving" the auto' s...give the .22 Classic and the .22 Target a good look. They are both made by T/C.

Smitty_nc1 10-02-2003 06:14 PM

I have had both the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin mod. 60. They are both great guns. For tree rats, I perfer the mod. 60. They are both great plinkers, but if you can find a couple of 30 round mags for the 10/22 it will be that much more fun.

Remington makes one heck of a model 700 rifle and some great shotguns, but I would not waste my money on a 597.

propmahn 10-02-2003 06:16 PM

the TC is a sweet gun, though of the 2 you mentioned id go with the ruger. bad expierences with 2 marlins 1 mag fed and one tube fed

PABuck_HNTR 10-02-2003 07:01 PM

Ruger 10/22