Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
WD-40 on guns >

WD-40 on guns

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WD-40 on guns

Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

It's not a good idea for any finish of metal blues or stainless to go from cold to warm with out wiping off with oil.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Typical Buck

That may be true but I've got a Browning stainless 270 that's been going from bitter cold to warm and back again since about 1986 with not the slightest speck of rust anywhere. This rifle gets one cleaning a year, after the season is over. One wipe down and she's good to go till next fall. That includes summer rock chuck practice.
Love that stainless !
Old 12-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

With any preserve or water displacing product, it works until it doesn't. I know WD will work to displace water and prevent oxidation. But its weak. I know I use WD-40 for all my wood working equipment and it sometimes fails to prevent oxidation. It really depends how one uses it. In MD, or PA, you could almost get away with anything. But hunting in brackish swamps, or hardcore duckhunting, in the bay, WD will not and has not stood the test of time for me. Therefore, I use something else.

These posts kinda puzzle me. I am not sure if people try to convince themselves or what.

I hear people all the time say "I never had problems with this or that", and thats fine, keep doing what your doing..
Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Ok I had a guy at work tell me WD-40 was no good to use on guns... I've been using it for the last 30 years with out any prob... I've got a bunch of rifle, pistols and shotguns no problems...

I decided to do a little research and all I came up with was...

Don't use it... Gums up... Evaporates...

Haven't seen any gum up issues
Haven't had a gun rust on me yet
As far as evaporating wouldn't know if it did...

I use it and will always have a can in my position while on hunting trips...

So what you all think about the dreaded WD-40
Don't use it...gums up.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

It's good at preventing rust, if applied fairly often and properly. Oil may is better for long term storage. Dunno if it gums up; it might. It's also good for rubbing with steel wool to get rid of surface rust.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol some people really take this wd40 thing serious!!!

I guess ill gust keep on using it
Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

I did rust blueing since wayback. If a guy wanted a hot blue job, I would prep it and send the parts out to a plating shop I dealt with. They always instructed me to oil the parts down good with WD-40 and let sit for a day before wrapping. Sure enough, the WD-40 was like dried glue and would not run off during shipping. I use car wax on the barrel when hunting in the rain. If you get caught in the rain, it does displace water and is OK for emergencies, but I would not use it to lube anything.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Spike

Man, I just read this entire thread chuckling to myself. That’s some funny stuff, I don’t care who you are.

I have been using a product for 30 years but somebody told me it doesn’t work…

The best was WD 40 should only be used for what it was designed for. By the way it was designed as a Water Displacement product for Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles.

I don’t always use WD 40, but when I do….I prefer ICBMs
Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Spike

I've used it with military weapons. It will get gummy if you are at high rate of fire. But I use the heck out of it.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:04 AM
Typical Buck

If WD40 cost $4.00 and real gun oil cost $25.00 I'd just use WD40 and suck it up.

But that's not the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.