Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
7mm WSM - Your thoughts..... >

7mm WSM - Your thoughts.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm WSM - Your thoughts.....

Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308

There's no replacement for displacement, right? But there are high compression engines with fuel injection and twin turbo chargers.
I was gonna say the small block motor has replaced the big block motors in racecars for years because the power is about the same but the weight savings and the cars handle better, put it over.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Classic cartridge guy.

Give me my 7mm RM.............. and I'll be fine.
Hey if you got one, No point to changing But if a guy doesn't have one. You really need to look at them.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have the money, you should really own every caliber there is.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
I was gonna say the small block motor has replaced the big block motors in racecars for years because the power is about the same but the weight savings and the cars handle better, put it over.
But there a big block is so much cooler, and demands respect.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
I still say the 7mm rem is a better round then the 7mm wsm.
7mm Rem Mag isn't broke so there was no reason to "fix" it by doing the whole WSM treatment. I've shot a 7mm Rem since I was 14. My brother shoots one, my late grandfather shot one, my late father shot one and none of them needed "improving".

It was a brilliant marketing concept and helped sell a lot of rifles but 100-200 fps from any 2 different rifles of the exact same caliber don't make a bit of difference in the performance on either game or targets.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

In a lot of cases building superior long range accuracy is better in a larger case thus being able to use a slower burning powder and a longer barrel. The major bonus is the bigger case and slower burning powder builds it's pressure as it burns down the barrel behind the bullet. The smaller case and faster burning powder has it's pressure build in half the time and a lot of the pressure is right there on the chamber. Compare the two and you'll find the 7mm Rem mag can reach same velocity's with 5,000-7,000 less psi. It's just more efficient if you look at it the other way. A magnum in a 22" barrel is a waste of powder in the first place. Minimum would be 26" barrel for a magnum .338 and smaller. Makes no since to compare apples to apples unless you use something it can gain full potential from.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

I use the 7mm rem since I as 16 the best caliber in my opinion. That's why I bought my nephew one when he was about 5. He is 8 now and uses a 7mm/08. I like the 28 caliber bullet.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Blackelk
In a lot of cases building superior long range accuracy is better in a larger case thus being able to use a slower burning powder and a longer barrel. The major bonus is the bigger case and slower burning powder builds it's pressure as it burns down the barrel behind the bullet. The smaller case and faster burning powder has it's pressure build in half the time and a lot of the pressure is right there on the chamber. Compare the two and you'll find the 7mm Rem mag can reach same velocity's with 5,000-7,000 less psi. It's just more efficient if you look at it the other way. A magnum in a 22" barrel is a waste of powder in the first place. Minimum would be 26" barrel for a magnum .338 and smaller. Makes no since to compare apples to apples unless you use something it can gain full potential from.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I'd say, however, that the more efficient cartridge would be the one attaining like velocities with less case capacity & powder (that would be the SMs). Not sure pressures matter all that much since the same actions (action strengths) are used for the vastly differing pressures produced by different cartridges. Look at the difference between a 7X57 and 7mmRM, both produced in the exact same action.

The 6.5-.284 also seems to discredit that way of thinking as well being a darling of the long-range accuracy bunch while using what would be seen as one of the very first SM type cases, along with the .350RM & 6.5RM. Matter of fact, the 6.5-.284 has almost identical case capacity as the 6.5RM (which should probably now be called the 6.5 RSM )
Old 12-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Spike

i have a M70 in 7wsm i have no feeding problems and shoots great
Old 12-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
If you have the money, you should really own every caliber there is.
And there ya have it folks, the only answer of value so far...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.