HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Need some help here fellows older h&r ultra slugster (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/388209-need-some-help-here-fellows-older-h-r-ultra-slugster.html)

oliveschoolhunter 12-18-2013 04:43 PM

Need some help here fellows older h&r ultra slugster

Ok guys here's the deal. Got a older h&r 12 ga slug gun with big bull barrel. bout a year ago it would not throw a group at all. So I took a long drill rod with a wire brush and brushed it out real good and it acted better. Now its doing it again 2 shots touching one shot misses 4 x8 piece of plywood. Any idea what's up. Its the barrel scope is tight shooting off lead sled. Has anyone else ever had this happen. I've always had a h&r since I started hunted. Any ideas on what to try next would be great. :confused0024:

grinder67 12-19-2013 02:41 PM

The first place I look when this happens is the scope. They do go bad and I have read that shooting of a lead sled can cause the recoil to effect the scope more dramatically than normal. I dont know if this is true but I would try a different scope if you have one.

oliveschoolhunter 12-19-2013 05:08 PM

Ok has anyone ever had.a barrel actually go bad so to say.

Mr. Slim 12-19-2013 05:21 PM

OSH, I would check the scope first to see if it has paralex. to do this you need to put the gun into the sled and sight the scope on a object. without touching the gun look through the scope. slowly move your head left and right and up and down. if the crosshairs seem to move the scope is done. also make sure the mounts and rings on the scope are tight. any of these things will cause the gun to shoot off. hope this helps.

Ridge Runner 12-19-2013 05:44 PM

parralex will not cause you to miss a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 100 yards.
what ammo you shooting? saboted slugs? if so clean the barrel with the solvent that removes plastic.
a scope is not good for 2 shots then goes way off, then good for a couple more.
RR

oliveschoolhunter 12-19-2013 07:31 PM

Ok RR what is it then lol.
I'm shooting light fields

Bbj270 12-20-2013 01:19 AM

I would try another scope. It could be the scope. Slug guns have a lot of recoil. What scope is on it. It's it a shot gun scope. If not might want to try one made for shotguns.

oliveschoolhunter 12-20-2013 04:05 AM

Nothing special just a Bushnell straight 4x. I will try switching scopes out and re post

Bbj270 12-20-2013 04:24 AM

Dad had an old weaver years ago on an 30/06. It did that 4 or 5 shots totally off then one in bullseye. Put and redfield on it no problem. But the weaver on another rifle same thing.

emtrescue6 12-20-2013 10:36 AM

I'm with RR...before I did anything else I'd use a cleaner designed to remove plastic and see what that does. If that doesn't resolve the problem, try another scope...simply the way they are designed, lead sleds are really hard on optics on hard recoiling rifles....and the reason I don't own one (a lead sled that is).