Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
mild pitting in new revolver bore????? >

mild pitting in new revolver bore?????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mild pitting in new revolver bore?????

Old 12-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

If his problem is misalignment of cylinder and barrel to the point that blow-by is occurring the accuracy would be suffering. He reports very good accuracy.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually would expect that, but not always. I had an improperly aligned Ruger Vaquero once that shot incredibly well, even though you could visibly tell looking down the bore that it wasn't aligned right. Not surprisingly, that particular Vaquero was very poorly timed as well. Numbers matched, but it REALLY seemed like that cylinder was never meant for that revolver! But it shot really well.

Just trouble shooting though. My mentality would be that it's a symptom of a problem, regardless of what the problem is, and my mind would turn me inside out every time I saw it in the safe let alone took it out to shoot it.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Usually would expect that, but not always. I had an improperly aligned Ruger Vaquero once that shot incredibly well, even though you could visibly tell looking down the bore that it wasn't aligned right. Not surprisingly, that particular Vaquero was very poorly timed as well. Numbers matched, but it REALLY seemed like that cylinder was never meant for that revolver! But it shot really well.

Just trouble shooting though. My mentality would be that it's a symptom of a problem, regardless of what the problem is, and my mind would turn me inside out every time I saw it in the safe let alone took it out to shoot it.
I think that's the OCD factor I mentioned previously. Its understandable that such a thing would bug you, but in that situation I would not worry about it till a real problem developed. If it ever did I would take it to a gunsmith. I doubt very much if some light pitting in this fellow's barrel will ever cause him any real world problems. Knowing its there could create the problem, the problem of lack of confidence in the weapon.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Knowing its there could create the problem, the problem of lack of confidence in the weapon.
This would be me.

I'd also look at it like this: it's new now, S&W will replace it. If it DOES become a problem soon enough, he can take it to a smith and get it remedied, on his dime, or send it now and never have a potential for a problem.

Then again, I'm also the type that buys new guns, scopes, bikes, etc, even though I could buy a used one cheaper, because I'd rather not buy problems. If the volume of car/truck depreciation new vs. used weren't so big, I'd never buy a used car either.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
This would be me.

I'd also look at it like this: it's new now, S&W will replace it. If it DOES become a problem soon enough, he can take it to a smith and get it remedied, on his dime, or send it now and never have a potential for a problem.

Then again, I'm also the type that buys new guns, scopes, bikes, etc, even though I could buy a used one cheaper, because I'd rather not buy problems. If the volume of car/truck depreciation new vs. used weren't so big, I'd never buy a used car either.
I agree. And the OP would be completely justified in getting the problem taken care of right up front while the warranty was still in effect.
I'd rather buy new myself. That way I know the whole history of the gun, car, whatever.

There's just this thing I have about not messing with something that is working so well.
I have an M1 Garand that probably saw action in Korea and maybe even WW2. The bore looks like it has been sandblasted. The rifle shoots truly amazing groups from the bench.
It works great so it doesn't get tampered with.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

With misalignment, i would expect to see some bullet shearing, which is not evident. I think i am going to shoot a few 100 more rounds of fmj and clean after each cylinder. See if i can polish some of it out. Heck, i have about 200 rounds total through it right now. Its not even fully shot in yet.

Thanks for the info guys.