Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Choosing the right "one for all" gun. >

Choosing the right "one for all" gun.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Choosing the right "one for all" gun.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Spike

Default Choosing the right "one for all" gun.

I've had a 45-70. It was "too much gun" for me. I could shoot it, but it had such a bang to it that I couldn't guarantee my shot location regularly enough to justify using it when hunting.

I had a .30-06 that didn't have iron sights. I could have had them put on, but I would have shelled out a couple of hundred to have it done proper.

Right now my Model 94 (pre 1964) is doing it for me, along with a 12 Gauge slug gun.

If I was to add one more rifle to my hunting arsenal, I'm thinking ".308" or another .30-06 with irons sights already on it.

Whatever additional gun I choose, I'd like it to be a good "all around" gun that could handle Moose, Elk, Caribou, Bear, ........as well as Deer.

While I'm at it, let me say that I STILL can't wrap my head around the idea that a "bolt action is a better hunting gun than a Lever Action," as some have said. Why is that true for them? What is the rationality? Please explain in detail. (Thanks).

-Soupy1957
Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as "one for all ", You can't get any more "one for all" than a 30-06. If you're concerned about shooting deer at close range with irons, put a lower power scope on it. I think most people are over-scoped. I used to hunt with the standard issue 3x9 scope. Since I went to a 1.5x4.5. I've shot deer at 5 to over 200 yds with that scope and never used the iron sights on it.
Rifles seem to be manufactured for accuracy these days. I am a bolt guy, but I have owned lever actions and a single shot that will group with any hunting bolt gun. You action preference is your own.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

unless you are hunting something dangerous like large brown bears i agree with wingbone, doesnt sound like you are shooting very long distance since you are thinking iron sights, the 3006 is about as all around as you can get.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

One main reason for scoping a rifle is that it captures the little available light at primetime - Dawn and Dusk !

The larger the objective the more light it captures, but the higher rings are required - effecting your ability to get a good cheek weld (without using some sort of raised comb/pad).

Lastly, I think "most" would agree that the .30-06 is a "one for all" gun.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

If you like leaves actions why not the Browning blr in 30/06. It has opens sights and you could also scope it. I am a bolt action man and no opens sights for me. But that is how I got stared shooting bolt actions and scopes.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with 3006. To me a30/06 or 308 is a great round for anything. Iv shot ars bolt guns lever guns. I liked my 30/30 but idk just not it for me hunting. Iv hunted with shotguns ars lever guns and a muzzy goin for a hunting rifle id say bolt or ar. Iv shot 5 deer in three years all but one was a tc triump muzzleloader 3 at 250s. To me its what ur comfortable with what u shoot the best. My dad was slways better then me with the marlin 30/30 but iv always been better with pistols and shotguns.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

I gotta go with the '06. Do (almost) it all.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

I can work my bolts actions faster then my leaver actions and shot them more actually.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

My main deer rifle is a 7mm rem magnum. Handle all the game I want to in the lower 48. But if you can handle a 30/06 go with it. Great bullet range from 125 to 220 grain factory loaded ammo.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Of the two cartridges that you mentioned, the .30-06 would have a slight edge over the .308, especially in a modern scoped rifle. With proper bullets and shot placement, either would kill and of the animals that you listed.

Historically, bolt actions were stronger and more accurate than other actions.

Although I have a couple of traditional iron sighted muzzleloading rifles and two Model 94 Winchesters, I personally prefer a clean bolt action rifle with a scope and no iron sights.

Another benefit of scopes is as we get older, it becomes harder to see iron sights. When scopes are properly adjusted, the cross hairs and the target are in focus at any range.

My current favorite "all around" rifle is my .300 Weatherby vanguard. It has served me very well on a number of North American and African hunts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.