Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Choosing the right "one for all" gun. >

Choosing the right "one for all" gun.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Choosing the right "one for all" gun.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I could only have one and it would be required for everything, I'm going with my 375 H&H Mag. With solids you can use it for the very smallest and the very biggest and with soft points you can use it for everything in between. I'm the first to admit that it is too much gun for most of North America, but I also hunt Africa every couple of years. So I need something that can be relied to take down game up to elephant. It stands to reason that something that will kill an elephant will also kill a deer. The reverse cannot be said.

If I can't have my 375 H&H, then I'll take my 9.3x62 Mauser. What can be said of the H&H can also be said for the Mauser.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

It's funny. If I had no rifles and needed to buy just one to handle everything I hunt, that would be easy.

If I had to get rid of all my current rifles except one all around rifle for everything I'd bust a gasket in my brain. Each one fills a particular niche to perfection. I don't think I'd be able to decide.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
It's funny. If I had no rifles and needed to buy just one to handle everything I hunt, that would be easy.

If I had to get rid of all my current rifles except one all around rifle for everything I'd bust a gasket in my brain. Each one fills a particular niche to perfection. I don't think I'd be able to decide.
I hear ya. I've been carrying the same 7mm Mag since I was 14. I have 2 old M1984 30-30s that mean a lot to me. I love my 6.5x55 Swede and my wife would kill me if I got rid of my M1903 6.5x54 Mannicher Schoenauer. My 450 Marlin is hell on wheels for heavy timber hunting and so in my 350 Rem Mag. Dad gave me an old Springfield 30-40 Krag when I was 10. My slug gun and all my muzzleloeader are proven game getters. I don't want to get rid of any of them.

But if I absolutely had to I'm keeping either the 375 H&H or the 9.3x62 Mauser. But I hope I never get forced into actually doing it.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
...and my wife would kill me if I got rid of my M1903 6.5x54 Mannicher Schoenauer.
Just hope she doesn't take up reading Hemingway...
Old 12-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by homers brother
Just hope she doesn't take up reading Hemingway...
Not much of a threat of that but as soon as she shot that little beauty for the first time, it became "her rifle". Didn't matter that I had it long before I met her, she laid a claim to it. I guess I'll have to keep her because it is easier to find a new woman than it is a Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1903 in 6.5x54!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Spike

I'm a fan of bolt 308,the 06 is probably a little more versatile, especially if you reload; but factory loads covers the gamut of needs as well. As far as actions, what's comfortable to you, the BLR comes in most calibers as does every other action. I cant complain about the ones I've owned. My eye site is good and I use the low power on just about every shot mostly as an aide rather than as a magnifier, 1.5-4x has covered every need so far. I just think it's great we still have the problem of SO many different choices!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Soupy1957
While I'm at it, let me say that I STILL can't wrap my head around the idea that a "bolt action is a better hunting gun than a Lever Action," as some have said. Why is that true for them? What is the rationality? Please explain in detail.
In detail eh? Some of you will get it...

The advantage of the levergun = fast cycling. Is that important? Only if you miss the first shot.

The advantage of a bolt gun over a levergun? Primarily the cartridges (and the diversity of cartridges) that they're chambered in. Talking modern manufacture leverguns, you're really looking at pistol cartridges like the .357mag, .44mag, or .45colt. Still a few .44-40's kicking around, or you're talking .30-30win, .45-70, 444marlin, or .450Marlin. At the end of the day, all of these rounds are big slugs, moving very slow. The .30-30 is a bit of an oddball for the group, but other than the Leverevolution rounds, still required a round nosed bullet or flat nosed bullet, and only pushes them to around 2200fps, way too slow by today's standards.

Sure, the 308Marlin is trying, but nobody has had confidence that it would stay the course, so it's been a slow start for them.

I won't stoop to include the criminally ugly BLR in this conversation. Every part of me is repulsed by the BLR.

Personally, for the game you suggested, my first instinct would be my wife's Marlin 1895 Guide Gun .45-70. A .458 Socom AR might be a fun twist if dangerous bears are on your list. But either of these might be a bit punchy since you mentioned you didn't like the recoil of the .45-70 already (which I find to be more mild than most 30caliber x 2900fps+ cartridges).

A .35 Whelen wouldn't be a bad choice, or a .338-06. Not quite as punishing as some of the heavier magnum cartridges on your end, but plenty of punch to deliver death to large game on the other end.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally love the 45 70. The 30 06 will do all that you ask and more. Don't forget the 270 Winchester either. It too will do all that you require.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Might want to try a 300 win, don't personally have one but know many that use one. I have a 300 wby but if you don't reload ammo can be pretty pricy for it. But the 300 win is easy gotten at Wal-Mart.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

no one has said it yet so im gonna. two words. MOSIN NAGANT 7.62x54R. Iron sights just like you want. 123 to I believe 203 gr bullets. Case fits right in between a 30-06 and .308. I have one that I am getting ready to sporterize. Just a thought. I don't know about big bears, but the germans sure didn't like getting sniped with them in ww2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.