Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rust Protection >

Rust Protection

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rust Protection

Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Rust Protection

My son is away at college and will be leaving straight from school and going to our camp. On occasion, he may be going when I'm not there. I am considering leaving his rifle at the camp since he can't have it at the dorm. It's a Rem 700 SPS, Leupy mounts and scope. My camp has heat and A/C (not needed in winter) but is only on when I'm there. During hunting season, I normally use Barricade on exterior and nothing on the bore unless I get into foul weather. I am considering RIG on the exterior and an oily patch through the bore. Any recommendation?
Old 11-18-2013, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a big fan of the stuff. If you do the exterior, make sure the metal under the stock is covered. That'll rust too. I'd put RIG into the bore as well. But Id wipe it out and maybe run a patch with rubbing alcohol on it before shooting.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

A light coat of oil on the metal parts will keep it stored well for weeks. If you're talking months or years without contact, then having a better coating of a heavier oil will be better.

BUT, the most important part, in my opinion, is prevention. Don't store your rifle somewhere that it's going to see a lot of humidity swings. Meaning don't leave it out in the camp all year standing in the corner, or in a padded case, etc. I have more problems with that method than just rust prevention.

It's an unattended camp, what security do you have to prevent the weapon from being stolen between your visits? I HOPE the answer is a camp safe. If not, then it should be. Please at least have a locking security cabinet.

Beyond that then, since the rifle will be secured in a PROPER storage locker or safe, all you need to do is add a 'safe rod' or other desiccant method. If your locker doesn't seal up well, you can add weather stripping to the door to help the door seal then caulk (or tape) to the inside to seal it up. OR you could go the bubba-route and simply put a strip of duct tape over edges of the door to seal it up (keep the roll sitting on top of the locker).

The 'safe rod' like the Golden Rods would require that the power be on at your camp at all times. This may or may not be the case. If you don't visit for long stretches, then add a traditional desiccant brick in case the power would go out.

Problem solved.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Back when I spent time in humid areas a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax on all exterior metal did the trick. Doesn't collect dust like a coat of oil either.

For the bore, a coat of standard gun oil will do. Then run a patch soaked in brake cleaner through the bore before using the gun. The bore is then oil free and dry. Ready to go.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like some stuff called corrosion X I use it on the ccw piece that lives in my truck year round.
RR
Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmmmm...some of those silicon dessicant packs, a silicon gun sack, and, on the metal parts (nontraditional - - rust protection only, not cleaning) some WD-40.

I've got blades I leave outside made out of cheapy pot steelish "metal" that don't rust due to an application of WD-40.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Spike

I agree with Ridge Runner I use Corrosion X the Marine kind cause its made for saltwater exposure as well. This stuff penetrates to the medal. I usually spray this stuff and rub it on all metal parts including inside the barrel. Than I store all my rifles in a silicon sock in side the safe. When ready to shoot rifle I just run a few dry patches through barrel.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Ridge Runner I use Corrosion X the Marine kind...
Any idea how this is for long term storage? I do not get the chance to shoot nearly as much as I would like. I live in Phoenix Arizona so humidity is not much of an issue here. Still firearms are not cheap and I would hate to lose one due to rust. (I typically keep the guns in a safe with desiccant so not much in the way of humidity changes.)