Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 hunting with fixed power scopes >

hunting with fixed power scopes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

hunting with fixed power scopes

Old 09-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default hunting with fixed power scopes

Does anyone hunt deer or elk with a fixed power scope? I hear that they are more durable then the varibles.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting with fixed power scopes

I’ve hunted for years with a fixed 4x scope and it has served me well. This year I decided to use a 3x9 variable scope. I have had no regrets with the 4x but now it’s time for something new and different . I still have my fixed scope just in case.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have used fixed power scopes for many years. I much prefer them to variable models. They are getting harder to find though as everyone want the variables anymore. I have had a lot of cheap fixed power scopes and have never had one problem with them. I would however be a little leary of cheap variable though as some of them will change point of impact as you change power. I have three 4X tasco Pronghorn scopes which sold for about twenty bucks each. I have shot three hi power rifles for three years with these scopes. Never had to resight or change a thing and they are hitting right on target after hundreds of rounds each. They are vary clear as well. Not bad for tweny bucks.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use both fixed and variables,...but my favorite rifles wear fixed. I have found that a fixed 4 power will serve just about anyone unless you plan of shooting over 150 yards for sure. Even then, a fixed 6 power will probably do the job. I hunt in fairly close quarters most of the time where a 125 yard shot is rare....so a fixed 4 is fine.
For those hunting in wide open spaces and being presented with shots out beyond 250 yards as a rule, then a variable in invaluable.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Leupold 4x33 on a 338 and will be replacing the zeiss conquest 3x9 on my KS mountain rifle with a 6x42 Leupold
Old 09-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted ten days in RSA and never changed the 3X9 scope from 6X

I still have a coveted Weaver K-6 that I love.....

There' s no law that says that if you have a vari power scope tghat you have to change it. Vari power is about the same price as fixed....

I like the vari power in case I want to crank up the power to look at horns...but a fixed power is a fine scope. I' d pick 4X or 6X in a fixed scope.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:49 AM

One big advantage of a fixed power scope is they are brighter due to have less lenses for the light to travel thru. That is a big bonus for people who do late hunting.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 10-01-2003, 02:59 PM

Don' t let worries about the reliability keep you from buying a variable. A variable gives you much more versatility than a fixed power.
Back in the day reliability was an issue, but with todays modern variables from a good manufacturer reliability is not an issue.
In addition if by some stroke of bad luck something should go wrong with your scope (fixed or variable) several manufacturers have great warrantys like Leupold and Sightron for example.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:50 PM

For years I used only an old Redfield 4x. It was a great scope, and I never felt the need for a variable. One day I took a bad fall on the ice and ruined it, and ended up replacing it with a Leupold Varix2 3-9x. It' s a great scope as well. I always keep it set on 4x since normally that is all I need. The only advantage of the variable to me is using it to zoom in and check for antlers.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

i used both....a 6x redfield and a few varible powers.....i had a cheap tasco shotgun scope(1.5 to 4.5 i believe) on my mauser the first 2 years because the rear sight was big and i didnt want to mill it off and we didnt have time to get a real scope on it...it worked fine the first year...second year i sighted it in fine...always had it on 4.5 power to see the target at 50yds(i rarely shoot deer past 30yds) took it down to 2.5 to hunt...wounded 1...then missed one..then wounded another...i was sick.....i was going to quit hunting period..i thought it was me and lossing 2 deer and missing one had me very upset..i really considered hanging it all up....my dad took my scope to put on a sluggun he was going to hunt with the next year..took it to our gun guys to have it mounted...the guy always checks the scopes before mounting...he checked it changed the powers and watched the crosshairs move drasticly....found out why i had such a bad year and found out it wasnt my shooting(ever since i was little i would amaze people with my shooting ability...its just something i am pretty good at...my dad couldnt believe it was me and was even pretty....upset/angry with me after that year) then we found out it wasnt me..he apologized because he knew he was acting like it was my fault and blammed me...i saved all summer from grass cutting and bought a leupold varix II 3x9x40 and shot it.....havent had a problem yet....this will be the second year with that scope....so much clearer then the cheap scopes....im going to put a good scope on my 22 too..my only other scoped rifle...i dont know if it was because it was a tasco or the variable power or what but it cost me 3 deer and made me very upset...it takes alot for me to want to quit hunting...i live and love to hunt...i learned my lesson....and it wasnt the recoil of the 3006....they are made for slugguns!!!! i should have wrote tasco and sent it back complaining but i didnt....

Quick Reply: hunting with fixed power scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.