Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New shotgun

Old 03-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

How often are you going to be shooting any of the game or sports you mentioned?

That's the second most important aspect to choosing the proper firearm for you. Fit and feel is the first.

If you'll be shooting trap primarily with a little hunting on the side, the shotgun will be very different than if you'll be turkey hunting primarily with a little upland hunting on the side.

If you'll be doing a little of everything, then an all around shotgun, 24-26" barrel will do everything you need. I highly recommend the Benelli Supernova for an all around scattergun. The Rem 870 would be my second choice, with the Mossberg 500 a distant 3rd.

If you'll be specialized into one more than the others, then get an appropriate firearm for that purpose. You mentioned that turkey will be your primary use, with a little of a lot of things on the side. An ideal turkey gun, in general, is a pretty specialized model, with adaptations that make it less-than-ideal for wingshooting. Skeet guns are specialized, trap guns are specialized, waterfowling guns are specialized, and upland guns are specialized.

If you're talking about competitive level shooting in either trap or skeet, then don't even consider anything but the ideal weapon for those sports. Casual shooters playing trap, clays, or skeet games for fun can get away with it, but if you want to compete, get the right kit - you can't drive a minivan at the Indy 500.

Spare barrels are a good option, but watch your prices. You generally have to buy used spare barrels to really save money. In plain terms, the difference between owning TWO Rem 870's versus one with two barrels might be within $100. I'd be confident that you could buy two used Rem 870's for cheaper than a New 870 and a New spare barrel.

So you have to make your pick for whether you want a master of all that's a master of none, or a model that might be perfect for your primary use, but could still occasionally do the others well enough for government work.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

nothing wrong with an 870, but if price isnt an object id look hard at benelli. Buddy of mine has a super black eagle that i love, if i ever run across a deal on one its my next shotgun.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Spike

There is no "do all" shotgun. A pump, whether a Remington 870 series or a Mossberg 500 is a good start. If you end up liking shotguns like I do it will become an addiction. You have been warned. Buy another gun cabinet/safe. There are so many wonderful shotgun brands and models out there. . . . .I have nearly every action type, and several of some. Beware of side by side guns, they are one of the most addicting.