HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Few ar questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/386414-few-ar-questions.html)

bigtim6656 10-27-2013 02:38 PM

Few ar questions

So im buyin an ar for primarily hunting but for defense and i just love shooting them.
Question one. Will a collapseble stock effect long range accy
Second would a vert fore grip be a benefit or issue for hunting
Third. Since it will be usef for hunting. 16 inch or 20 inch barrel.
My thought is i can use the collapseble stock when not hunting and if need be chane to fixed for hunting

Centaur 1 10-27-2013 05:32 PM

My opinion fwiw. Assuming you're looking at a 5.56 and that you're talking about deer hunting. The 5.56 doesn't carry enough downrange energy to be a true long range caliber. The little bit of extra velocity that you get from the longer barrel isn't going to extend the useful range. If you like the 16" barrel get it, same with the collapsible stock. Keep the barrel's twist rate in mind when selecting a rifle, you need a fast twist to stabilize the heavier hunting bullets. Hopefully I'll get to try mine out on a deer this year. I have a Daniel Defense DDM4 V4, it has a 16" 1-7" twist barrel. I have a Nikon P223 fixed 3 power scope and I use Sierra game-king 65 grain bullets.

Nomercy448 10-27-2013 06:32 PM

20" is worth the length and weight for hunting. If you want an hbar and don't like weight, flute it to keep your balance proper.

Rifle length gas system and recoil buffer.

0.750" gas block, keep the weight near you.

1:8" or 1:9" twist in case you do decide to shoot longer ranges with heavier, slower bullets.

Collapsible stocks of GOOD MANUFACTURE are fine for hunting, but you may not fit the cheek weld well, especially for a scoped rifle. You will honestly never for one second need a collapsible stock for any purpose.

An AR-15 in .223rem is not a deer rifle. I won't waste my time arguing it with you if you believe otherwise. Just because a 16oz hammer can drive a railroad spike, that doesn't make it the proper tool for that job.

50-55grn bullets out of a .223rem seem to be the ideal weight for predators, in my experience.

Vertical foregrip isn't really functional for a semi-auto hunting AR. If you want one, but one, but it doesn't really serve much purpose on a semiauto hunting rig. It's just extra weight.

streetglideok 10-27-2013 06:37 PM

Collapsing stock would be a benefit in fitment of the gun for the shooter. Vertical forearm grips would likely create one more thing to snag in brush IMO, and not needed for hunting. A good upper with rails would let you detach the grip for hunting use. 1:7" twist would be a must, heavy bullets of the correct type to hunt with, assuming like what was said, you would use 5.56mm. I know more people use it now than before, but it isn't my favorite big game caliber, and there is a smaller margin of error for shot placement IMO. I would suggest one of the larger calibers in the AR platform, and save the 5.56 for home defense. 16" would aid in making a compact carbine, while 20" would give you a little more velocity. Mags, of course use the legal mags for hunting, and make sure your choice of caliber is legal where you hunt. Also do note, that while I'm not going to judge you for using it to hunt with(it is just a semi auto rifle that looks mean,lol), antis, and fudds will be quick to point out anything you do is bad, including vertical forearm grip, etc.

homers brother 10-27-2013 07:13 PM

"Primarily for hunting", "for defense", and "love shooting them" don't all necessarily go together well. The .308 AR you buy to hunt with is overly powerful for defense unless you live out in the sticks or your neighbors don't mind the possibility of bullets coming through their kids' bedroom walls should excitement happen at your house. And to top it all off, .308 isn't the cheapest thing to love to shoot anymore, either - 5.56 is somewhat more available, but not at all suitable for game larger than deer.

From what you describe, I'd stick with a 20" .308 rifle. Stocks aren't a matter of a simple "swap" (you'll need tools, different parts, and some familiarity with the platform), so stick with a fixed version. I'll be the "fudd" and tell you to save the money you'd have spent on a cool-looking but otherwise only marginally useful vertical grip and put it into quality optics or rings instead.

NjHunter85 10-27-2013 07:18 PM

in my opinion and from past knowledge and shooting an AR..id say the stock really is just for comfort. it really wont make a difference on your shooting as long as its comfortable for you. The foregrip will prob be a pain for certain cases while hunting. definitely a better addition for home defense. They do sell ones that have a spring mechanism on them to flip up and lock out of the way. same for bipods you can add to the rail that flips up. As far as the barrel goes, the longer the better for distance I think. But that caliber is a good one but not neceseraily for long range. You can get a .308 or something in the same platform if you wanted a longer range gun. But good luck on whatever you get

streetglideok 10-27-2013 07:40 PM

The one advantage of the AR platform would be the ability to have an upper in 450bushmaster or similar, or a 243/25 WSSM for hunting, then an upper for defensive purposes in whatever floats your boat. There was a 30 caliber variant of the 5.56x45mm IIRC as well. An AR10 platform would perform better for hunting, but like what was said, urban home defense would not be ideal with one. For the cost of the platform, there are plenty of inexpensive bolt action rifles available in calibers easier to find right now.

bigtim6656 10-27-2013 09:27 PM

Sorry guys shoulda added im goin with a 308/762 ar. Ill be deer elk maybe moose hunting not really gonna bear hunt next seaspn but the seasons over lap alittle so buyin a tag incase i see a bear.
I think a hollow 556 will do fine for deer wouls not be my first option but was my huntin rifle when i started huntin at 18 with an ar
I think ill buy the collasble stock for home defense if need be an adjustable fixed stock for huntin like with a raiseable cheek bar

So givin u now know im goin 308. Should i go 16 20 24 inch barrel. My ultimate goal is not have my huntin gun be for defense recent fin trouble killed my gun collection. So this buy will make the only gun ill have till prob may. Where im at i doubt ill needa shoot anyone but i like be prepared luckily if it came to a shoot out itll probably be in my down stairs which is underground all but one wall and the houses out side that wall are almost below my floor level

Plus if my insurance settlement is what its lookin like ill be buyin a new glock

homers brother 10-28-2013 04:06 AM

Yes, for the cost of what you're going to put into something like this, you could have a very capable, high-quality bolt gun. You're trying to create a "jack-of-all-trades" and may find yourself with a rifle that is a "master of none". You're WAY overthinking this.

streetglideok 10-28-2013 05:09 AM

I agree you're making this harder than it really is, or you're trying to justify the expense. The AR10 platform is decent, but expensive. Far cheaper to get a dedicated hunting gun, and an ar15 platform. 7.62/308 is not an ideal round for home defense, period. Rural defense its ok, it has a longer intended range. For it, 20" would be the minimum. Better off buying a lever gun, as it can serve both purposes as well. It is politically less volatile, lower key, compact and can be powerful or mundane. When AR stuff became unobtanium after last December, I picked up an extra lever gun to fill the need.