Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Few ar questions >

Few ar questions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Few ar questions

Old 11-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no worries bout being robbed in co nor did i in ky. On opening day of gun season a hunter came up to me asked if id help drag his deer out as he could not do it himself. Ibwas not leaving my thousand dollar rifle. When we got to his deer he seemed more wanting to talk then get the deer out. I told him ivwanted to get back to hunting after tieing a drag rope on it he said well i think i can get it after a 30 min didcussion. When we came out of the woods there was three guys at my nlind across the dry lake bed. When we got to my blind one of them was in it. All three was the dudes hunting buddies. A few minutes into the talk. One of them asked me where i moved from when i said indiana they developed an attitude. One of the guys keep talking bout how folks there didnt like yankees talking their hunting spots and turned the talk to how alot of folks "come down here from upnorth and get robbed and sometimes shot. He then asked if i washunting alone. I lied said my buddy was down the creek. He then questioned why i was hunting with an ar. All four of them had bolt action rifles.
After the attitude and the guy in my blind i feel the guy asked me for help to get me away from my gear and gun so his buddies could steal it

A week or two later i was talking to a game warden he told me they had alot of problems with gear being stolen and a few people robbed.
I was hunting with the ar cause at the time it was the only rifle i had

I will not be hunting with a 5.56. I am buying a dpms 308 pretty sure the 308 is a popular elk round and pretty sure dpms makes one of the bedt ars out there
Im pretty sure a stock ar10 with the same high end scope on say a reminton 700 will do just as bought as good if not better then the 700

Originally Posted by homers brother
Robbed in the woods? Somehow I think you're going to find that highly unlikely in Colorado. I'm not certain of Colorado's laws, but you'd better make sure your 5.56 AR is legal for the game you're chasing first. Wyoming just made certain .22 centerfires legal this year and only for deer-sized and smaller game, not for elk or moose.

As far as accuracy goes, a good AR platform can be accurate, but it typically costs a lot more money to make it so than it does a bolt gun. I've competed with my .308 bolt gun against guys using .308 gas guns and the biggest difference tends to be the amount of coin invested.

If you're looking at gas piston guns versus traditional direct impingement, be aware that some makers simply slap something with an operating rod onto the upper and barrel to make it work. The recoil impulse is different (not more, just different), but what I've seen of the lower-end gas piston guns is some interesting wear inside the upper, and in some cases the BCG. It appears to me that with some of those systems, there may be some "tipping" of the BCG depending on the alignment/union of the op rod to the BCG which in turn may not be riding quite right inside the receiver. Just my opinion, I don't own one to strip one down regularly enough to keep track of what's going on inside. You'd probably have to shoot it a lot to wear it out. DI guns are dirty, and particularly so with junk ammo. Pick your poison. I'll stick with DI.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personall attack aside i never said i wanted to hunt with an ar cause defense like u said some parts u might need a defense gun hunting vi seriously doubt colorado is one of those places

Its not i feel il be super cool with a ar in the woods i hate the cod wonnabes who think they need a red dot sight silencer and a grenade launcher on their guns. Like u said quick follow up shot reliability
Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Nah Homer, he said robed, not robbed. But that doesn't really clarify whether that means he's worried someone will attack him and put a robe ON him, or 'disrobe' the clothes he's already wearing.

There are certain parts of the country where I'd be worried enough about 2 legged critters that I wouldn't go hunting without a defensive weapon, a lot of ammo to feed it, and a buddy with the same. But Colorado isn't one of them. Not by a long shot. That's just stupid. But we've had this conversation before, Bigtim is kinda the type that makes me worry, since his posts inevitably always involve shooting people in one way or another.

As far as "the black rifle koolaid" goes, yeah, there are a lot of dumbazzes that live in the suburbs and commute to work in town in a jacked up F-250 "because they're a man and men drive trucks". BUT, that doesn't mean there aren't people that actually DO need an F-250. I've hunted with a LOT of different rifles over the years, and frankly, I'm hard pressed to say I like hunting with anything better than an AR-15. Do I need to stoke up a 30rnd magazine to go hunt deer? Nah. Do I load one up when I call coyotes? Yup. Did I pay a lot for a .243wssm upper? yup. Was paying a bit extra for it over a cheaper rifle a problem? Nope. Can I drop a buck at 600yrds with it? Yup. Can I pick up the doe standing next to him to fill the freezer with the second shot? Yup. Is that easier with a bolt rifle? Nope.

Not everybody that drives an F-250 has a jacked up, chromed out retardmobile. Not everybody that runs an AR has a 'tricked out tacticool Call of Duty' retardrifle either.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

A rifle will do you no good in those situations. A handgun, especially concealed will though. Used to hunt an area in the south, rugged terrain and isolated, and known to have marijuana plantings and booby-traps. I had my rifle, a 44mag on my side for close up 4 legged hunting, and a 45auto under cover-legally for 2 legged vermon on my back.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, the first rule of hunting out west. Forget how you did it in _________. What's a "blind," anyway? If someone's in "your" spot, find another spot. Chances are, unless you have title to the property, it's not "your" spot to begin with.

You really need to find and befriend someone familiar with western hunting and go out with them and LEARN. This is a different business than it is back east. This is wide-open country, and lots of public land. You seem to be preparing yourself for both a hunt and a gunfight? What gives? Let that back east stuff go, you're out west, man!
Old 11-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

So is this guy getting all the hardware just to hunt out here?lol. Skip all the gunfighting stuff as homers brother said. You have two villains out here that you lack out east. The weather, and the terrain. The weather out here flips in minutes, not hours or days. It can be 70* and snow in the same day. It could be 50* one day and hours later the temps can plummet leaving an eastern hunter frozen, to death. The terrain can mess with your mind. What you think is a mile away is 10 miles away. That mountain ridge that looks just a ways away is 30 miles off. The air is dry here, real dry. You can dehydrate in hours. You need to know how to use a compass, map, navigate, and preferably know how to use a gps. Cellphones are useless in large amounts of the state. I never ran into another hunter when I was hunting out here. If you get out and walk off the trail, you wont see another person, and they may not find your corpse till spring. Instead of worrying about an expensive AR10 platform, get a bolt action or lever gun. Spend the money you saved on glass if you go with a bolt gun. That is the best advice I can give you. If you want to spend a bunch on a rifle, knock yourself out. We'll see you next season on here asking about a good rifle to use, because the one you got proved less than worthwhile for your needs.