Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Few ar questions >

Few ar questions

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Few ar questions

Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are very accurate at long range. They can be accurate shooting, but so can many guns and for less money as well. They tend to be pretty decent guns, but not the perfect gun. They are a grown man's erector set. They are nice because of the ease of changing the uppers out. The piston driven uppers to me, are more desirable. I don't buy into the gas impingement system. Sure the 5.56 has little recoil, but it isn't all because of the gas system. It's almost as silly as the guy I heard at a sporting goods store, talking about the heavy recoil of his AR15, and how it beat him up. Yes, I verified, 223 ammo,lol. I like the AR platform, but I don't love it. I like it for its unique traits, but I think too many drink the black rifle koolaid and don't really understand what is good about them, and what isn't. They probably play Call of Duty, and wear full tacticool gear while they play it,lol.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

I'm surprised Jim Zumbo's name hasn't come up yet in this thread.

Personally, if a guy likes ARs and has one in a caliber up to the job he wants to get done I'm all for him. It's not my cup of tea but it's a personal preference thing.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think ridge runner hit it on the read. I was shooting and owned an ar15 before the koolaid was mixed. I want one cause i really liked my 556 bushmaster i liked hunting with it. Having it in the woods over a say bolt action keep me from getting robed. I see no reason not to hunt with one not saying there the best but i see nothing wrong if a person wants to use one. I want somethin i can have fun shooting and hunt with. To me thats an ar. Sure if things keep goin good ill fill a safe back up but for now i can afford to buy the ar but not it and a hunting bolt action gun. So im buyin the ar

Iv never know anyone to complain bout the recoil of a ar15 id hate to been at the range with the guy if hed had a bolt action or 50 cal muzzleoader
Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Robbed in the woods? Somehow I think you're going to find that highly unlikely in Colorado. I'm not certain of Colorado's laws, but you'd better make sure your 5.56 AR is legal for the game you're chasing first. Wyoming just made certain .22 centerfires legal this year and only for deer-sized and smaller game, not for elk or moose.

As far as accuracy goes, a good AR platform can be accurate, but it typically costs a lot more money to make it so than it does a bolt gun. I've competed with my .308 bolt gun against guys using .308 gas guns and the biggest difference tends to be the amount of coin invested.

If you're looking at gas piston guns versus traditional direct impingement, be aware that some makers simply slap something with an operating rod onto the upper and barrel to make it work. The recoil impulse is different (not more, just different), but what I've seen of the lower-end gas piston guns is some interesting wear inside the upper, and in some cases the BCG. It appears to me that with some of those systems, there may be some "tipping" of the BCG depending on the alignment/union of the op rod to the BCG which in turn may not be riding quite right inside the receiver. Just my opinion, I don't own one to strip one down regularly enough to keep track of what's going on inside. You'd probably have to shoot it a lot to wear it out. DI guns are dirty, and particularly so with junk ammo. Pick your poison. I'll stick with DI.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nah Homer, he said robed, not robbed. But that doesn't really clarify whether that means he's worried someone will attack him and put a robe ON him, or 'disrobe' the clothes he's already wearing.

There are certain parts of the country where I'd be worried enough about 2 legged critters that I wouldn't go hunting without a defensive weapon, a lot of ammo to feed it, and a buddy with the same. But Colorado isn't one of them. Not by a long shot. That's just stupid. But we've had this conversation before, Bigtim is kinda the type that makes me worry, since his posts inevitably always involve shooting people in one way or another.

As far as "the black rifle koolaid" goes, yeah, there are a lot of dumbazzes that live in the suburbs and commute to work in town in a jacked up F-250 "because they're a man and men drive trucks". BUT, that doesn't mean there aren't people that actually DO need an F-250. I've hunted with a LOT of different rifles over the years, and frankly, I'm hard pressed to say I like hunting with anything better than an AR-15. Do I need to stoke up a 30rnd magazine to go hunt deer? Nah. Do I load one up when I call coyotes? Yup. Did I pay a lot for a .243wssm upper? yup. Was paying a bit extra for it over a cheaper rifle a problem? Nope. Can I drop a buck at 600yrds with it? Yup. Can I pick up the doe standing next to him to fill the freezer with the second shot? Yup. Is that easier with a bolt rifle? Nope.

Not everybody that drives an F-250 has a jacked up, chromed out retardmobile. Not everybody that runs an AR has a 'tricked out tacticool Call of Duty' retardrifle either.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
What is the advantage of using an AR over lets say a Browning Bar when hunting big game ?
The advantage of an AR over a BAR?

Simple, the BAR is butt ugly!

Had to say it, only cuz I love ya amigo!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by streetglideok
...They probably play Call of Duty, and wear full tacticool gear while they play it,lol.
And take selfies when they're all dressed up...
Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
1) ar's shoot better
2) I shoot them well
3) switch out the upper and go from gophers to grizzley
4) because I can
RR
#4 is the most important !

#1 I question.................??

You're right with #4, I cede.

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-02-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by homers brother
And take selfies when they're all dressed up...
They likely have tacticool nicknames too!
Here we go, this fits some of the black rifle guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2U-ZQMf56I

Last edited by streetglideok; 11-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The advantage of an AR over a BAR?

Simple, the BAR is butt ugly!

Had to say it, only cuz I love ya amigo!
I said "BAR" (not that I like them) because I knew you were going to bring up the follow-up shot !

RR & NoMercy - you both know, I don't care what gun anyone uses - I'd recommend a suitable caliber with proper bullet construction, that's all !

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-01-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.