Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Few ar questions >

Few ar questions

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Few ar questions

Old 10-28-2013, 07:28 AM
  #11  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buffalo, WY
Posts: 992
Default

AR15 type rifles make great defensive weapons and would be a neat thing to carry in the truck to bang away at coyotes. ( I prefer Mini 14s for this )

I wouldn't carry one for serious hunting. There are way too many better rifles for this purpose. They do look cool though......... hence their appeal.
Bullcamp82834 is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
  #12  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
bigtim6656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,867
Default

I agree with u too a point but im not gonna buy or not buy a gun cause its political volital or thought negatively by the left

I think im gonna stick to my origanal plan and build it strictly as my hunting rifle ya their little heavier then most bolt action guns but im a big guy and i used one in ky with little issue. I think built for long range shooting and huntingvintended ill have a great hunting gun. Imma go with the glock for everything else. I doubt ill need a long range defense gun lol
Im not tryin to justify the cost. I want one so feel no need to justify it to my self. Just tryin to met my hunting need with my desire in what i want for a fun target shooter and defense. I think tryin to met all thing would hurt all three areas

I seriously doubt ill need an ar for defense. Iv had four times in my life where i nedded a gun for defense every time a handgun has been what was in my hand and the best choice for the issue at hand. Luckly iv not had to pull the trigger


Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
I agree you're making this harder than it really is, or you're trying to justify the expense. The AR10 platform is decent, but expensive. Far cheaper to get a dedicated hunting gun, and an ar15 platform. 7.62/308 is not an ideal round for home defense, period. Rural defense its ok, it has a longer intended range. For it, 20" would be the minimum. Better off buying a lever gun, as it can serve both purposes as well. It is politically less volatile, lower key, compact and can be powerful or mundane. When AR stuff became unobtanium after last December, I picked up an extra lever gun to fill the need.
bigtim6656 is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 07:21 PM
  #13  
Fork Horn
 
streetglideok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 360
Default

Here is what I mentioned in another post: http://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=1

I'd look at that, as that will give you a lot of options. The hydra will convert from the ar10 to ar15 platform quick and easily. I've seen one in person, it's really trick. The center piece of the AR system, the only thing I consider that makes it worthwhile to me(yes I own a delton frankengun) is adaptability due to ease of swapping parts. I prefer the Garand action in a battle rifle, or in a gun where reliability is paramount. That would be the M1, M1A, M14(rock and roll variant of the M1A), and mini-14/30. Scoping the M1A really requires a rail with extended eye relief, and stock isn't always a tack driver, but the gas system is battle proven(in a war we won). Not ideal for hunting, but I would take it over an AR10, and you are in the same neighborhood of pricing. Your first post is missing a word or two I think so it does not really make it clear if this a defense/hunting rifle, or strictly hunting.
streetglideok is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM
  #14  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
bigtim6656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,867
Default

My first plan was hunting defense but now im goin for just hunting. Besides any gun can be used for defense. Though i think a 50bmg might piss off a judge lol
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Here is what I mentioned in another post: http://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=1

I'd look at that, as that will give you a lot of options. The hydra will convert from the ar10 to ar15 platform quick and easily. I've seen one in person, it's really trick. The center piece of the AR system, the only thing I consider that makes it worthwhile to me(yes I own a delton frankengun) is adaptability due to ease of swapping parts. I prefer the Garand action in a battle rifle, or in a gun where reliability is paramount. That would be the M1, M1A, M14(rock and roll variant of the M1A), and mini-14/30. Scoping the M1A really requires a rail with extended eye relief, and stock isn't always a tack driver, but the gas system is battle proven(in a war we won). Not ideal for hunting, but I would take it over an AR10, and you are in the same neighborhood of pricing. Your first post is missing a word or two I think so it does not really make it clear if this a defense/hunting rifle, or strictly hunting.
bigtim6656 is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM
  #15  
Giant Nontypical
 
Sheridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 5,130
Default

I can't think of a single reason to use an AR to hunt big game.


Unless you need to kill a lot in one seating ??


I enjoy shooting AR's for fun, shooting paper, shooting "live" targets, predators, pigs, etc....................
Sheridan is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM
  #16  
Fork Horn
 
streetglideok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 360
Default

Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
I can't think of a single reason to use an AR to hunt big game.


Unless you need to kill a lot in one seating ??


I enjoy shooting AR's for fun, shooting paper, shooting "live" targets, predators, pigs, etc....................
How so? In order to hunt legally with it, you have to use a magazine that holds the limited number of rounds. No different than a Remington 7400(or whatever that semi-auto they made was), the Browning BAR(civilian not the great military model) which are all semi-auto, and can not hold any more rounds. What's the limit, 5 in most states? No different than a lever action rifle as well. I'm not advocating using the AR for hunting, but it is plain ignorant to use that argument to justify not using them.
streetglideok is offline  
Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 PM
  #17  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
bigtim6656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,867
Default

I disagree they are very accurate at long distance reliable they can be changed up farly quickly so if u want a 14x zoom for hunting open range and the next day a 3-9 for brush hunting or easily add or remove a bipod and a quick follow up shot. Iv killed every deer with one shot but with elk second shots are common i see no reason not to hunt with an ar. Not saying their the end all be all hunting gun

One could say i can see no reason to hunt with nothing but a recurve bow
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
I can't think of a single reason to use an AR to hunt big game.


Unless you need to kill a lot in one seating ??


I enjoy shooting AR's for fun, shooting paper, shooting "live" targets, predators, pigs, etc....................
bigtim6656 is offline  
Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 AM
  #18  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern wv
Posts: 2,732
Default

I use them a lot for hunting, nothing wrong with them once ya get use to them




RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 10-30-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Ridge Runner is offline  
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM
  #19  
Giant Nontypical
 
Sheridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 5,130
Default

Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
I can't think of a single reason to use an AR to hunt big game.


Unless you need to kill a lot in one seating ??


I enjoy shooting AR's for fun, shooting paper, shooting "live" targets, predators, pigs, etc....................

My point is simple;

What is the advantage of using an AR over lets say a Browning Bar when hunting big game ?

One more time - I LOVE shooting and hunting with my AR-15

I thought I was clear from the outset ??
Sheridan is offline  
Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM
  #20  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern wv
Posts: 2,732
Default

Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
My point is simple;

What is the advantage of using an AR over lets say a Browning Bar when hunting big game ?

One more time - I LOVE shooting and hunting with my AR-15

I thought I was clear from the outset ??
1) ar's shoot better
2) I shoot them well
3) switch out the upper and go from gophers to grizzley
4) because I can
RR
Ridge Runner is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.