Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I ran across this old 10 Gauge >

I ran across this old 10 Gauge

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I ran across this old 10 Gauge

Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I ran across this old 10 Gauge

I've been told this old gun has a Damascus barrel.

The only markings on the gun seem to be from someone using a punch to keep score of the kills made with the gun.

Does anyone recognize this old gun, and do you have an idea of it's value?

Here’s a couple more pics of the gun

Old 09-26-2013, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Until the 1920's, there were hundreds of small regional gun companies making cheap single shot shotguns. It could have been made by any one of them. A Damascus barrel would put it somewhere in the 1890's. Check the top of the barrel near the breech to see if there's a company or model name.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Spike

I had an old Savage Steven with that same style release lever. Pop the forearm off and break the gun down look at the bottom of the barrel for markings that are hidden when assembled.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't shoot modern shells out of a damascus barrel shotgun. We have an old side/side in shotgun and rifle and one that is a 12ga side/side hammer gun. They are show pieces behind glass now.

Not sure about value. I suppose we should get them reappraised soon for insurance purposes.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I may be wrong, but I wouldn't shoot modern shells out of a damascus barrel shotgun. We have an old side/side in shotgun and rifle and one that is a 12ga side/side hammer gun. They are show pieces behind glass now.
No reason to set them aside. I know some guys that have Damascus barreled shotguns and they hunt with them. BELL makes brass shotgun shells. You can get those and load them with blackpowder and an overcharge wad.

The data for blackpowder loads is readily available and as long as you stay away from hard steel shot, they can be used. If you had to use non-toxic shot you could use bismuth in place of lead. Bismuth like all shot can be bought in 25 lb bags. Seeing pheasants or grouse falling through a cloud of blackpowder smoke is pretty cool.

Just because a gun is from a different era doesn't mean it can't be used today.