Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
woman needing gun selection advice >

woman needing gun selection advice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

woman needing gun selection advice

Old 09-24-2013, 02:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DanMorgan
Smoky what is the smallest caliber you can use in your state? I found a new light weight rifle that has an adjustable stock and weighs less than 5lbs, and almost no recoil.

DanMorgan.
We have no caliber restrictions in North Carolina, guess we believe in less government...A .22 rimfire is legal...

As mentioned, rifle weight would be the same with these calibers...A nice Remington Model 7 would fit you nicely, my brother has one in 7mm-08...The problem with a big guy like me is it feels too short and too light, which means it should be perfect for a dainty thing like you...

Keep in mind though that the lighter a gun is, the more it kicks...It would be best for you to shoot a few different calibers and guns...Do you have someone to help mentor you???
Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 AM
Spike

OK......That's good info. Bushmaster Carbon 15. No weight, no kick, kills out to 300 yards. Also a good zombie rifle.

That's what my wife uses now that Wyoming changed their laws. She took an antelope at 125 yards and destroyed it. No lungs left. Put a Burris 3x AR332 optic on it and BOOM deer rifle with benefits. Now that's if your going to be just shooting at deer in your state. If elk or large game is in your future, you might want to go bigger.

DanMorgan

DanMorgan
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are just about the same size as my wife. Her favorite rifles are a .257 Roberts for deer sized game (similar to a .243), and a .270 for larger game such as elk. Both rifles are good quality, light, and bolt action.

She shoots with stocks that have been shortened, or "youth" stocks. The "youth" stocks are short enough for her to handle the rifle well. Full length stocks are simply too long for her place correctly on her shoulder and to shoot comfortably. I would suggest looking for a model that offers the shorter stock.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seeing as to how you are aquainted with the 270, that should be your choice. Flat shooting, you can get ammo anywhere, and it has plenty of snort for deer and larger game. Every manufacturer makes rifles in that caliber, and you can check them all until you find the one that is made for you.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

My wife is a small woman and has no problem with a Browning .270 Win.

Works fine for shooting deer and elk. I have to do the rest of the work though.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
260 rem or 7mm/08, either will serve you well, if you could get lucky and find a 250 savage it would be awesome....... 52 and 135# wow you've done well.
just turned 53 here ya notice how ya got more time for hunting than ya useta?
RR
I agree 100% with the above. Savage is still making a 250 Savage AKA 250/3000 that is very nice. They shoot excelent right out of the box. you can't go wrong with any of the three listed here.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with RidgeRunner that 7/08 and 260 Rem are great calibers...the 250 Savage is also a very good caliber if you can get your hands on one...someone else also mentioned the .243, which you certainly can't go wrong with. I would also second Big Uncle's nod to the 257 Roberts (can't wait for mine to get here!)...

My daughter (who is 8 and all of 50 pounds) and my 11 year old niece both shoot .243's and have both taken Caribou and Deer with that round with 100g Nosler Partitions...the 243 is by far one of my favorite rounds.

If the 270 works for you, it's also another round to consider but the above rifles are all short actions, will have less recoil and will be a little lighter.

Bottom line there are a lot of caliber options out there that will fit the bill for your request but some will be easier to find ammo on the shelves if you are not a reloader...those would be .243, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 (7/08) ...the 250 Sav and 257 Roberts may be more challenging to find ammo for but it's still pretty easy.

Rifles....look at the list Sheridan posted...for lighter rifles I'd look closer at:

Tikka T3 Lite (accurate as heck out of the box, adjustable trigger, detachable magazine, smooth as butter bolt)

Savage Model 10/11's (get one with the Accu-Trigger...which gives you an adjustable trigger, accurate and handles nicely)

Weatherby Vanguard (my daughter and niece both have 243's on this rifle...they shoot nice, accurate, and reliable)

All three rifles are reliable, accurate, adjustable triggers, and are available with lightweight synthetic stocks...

Spend time handling several rifles to find one that fits you will be more important than many of the other decisions...a rifle that fits you well will be easier to shoot accurately. Any of the calibers mentioned (243 Win, 257 Roberts, 250 Sav, 260 Rem, 7mm/08) will do everything you need/want.

I would discourage you from considering the Bushmaster Carbon 15 or any other rifle chambered in .223 for a variety of reasons...shot placement with a .223 is more critical and not what I would put a novice hunter into...I lived in Wilmington, NC for a couple of years and hunted over on the coast...unlike Wyoming, NC is mostly thick hardwood forestland as opposed to wide open spaces where a really light round like the .223 can be easily deflected when it hits a small tree limb or even leaf...again, not something I would put a novice through. Plus, unless you are a reloader, good quality hunting rounds for the .223 can be hard to come by even in places like Cabelas or other large sporting goods stores.

I am not anti-223 as a hunting round, there's a time and place for everything and heavy forested hardwoods hunting for a novice just isn't one of those places I would recommend this round for.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Spike

emtrescue6,

Good advice, never thought about hitting leafs and limbs, we don't have any. : )

Shot placement should be with every rifle. My children cannot hunt big game animals until they can hit a 8" plate at 200 yards 10 out of 10 times, in the prone position. Period. They just don't get to hunt until then. Not fair for the game your hunting.

Good post.

DanMorgan

Last edited by DanMorgan; 09-24-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My recommendation is a little different from the others, take a look at the Marlin 336y in 30-30. It has a 12" length of pull and a 16" barrel, it should fit you just fine. These guns are more accurate than most hunters and ammo is easy to find. The recoil is also very light, about the same as a .243.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...Hardwood+Stock
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

But didn't she say bigger game may be on the agenda later?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.