Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
AR Hunting Platform >

AR Hunting Platform

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR Hunting Platform

Old 09-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
I think the new regulation also requires a bullet 60 grains or heavier as well?

We're so used to the .243 being the unspecified minimum, it's probably going to take a couple seasons for people to accept the .223 as being viable for pronghorn and deer, though it's been in use in other states for some time already. I'm going to try it myself during deer season.
try the 60 gr partition or the 64 gr win. power point, not the best deer gun ever but adequate.
RR
Old 09-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Spike

I can see that, but my wife took hers with the new Bushnell Carbon 15. Don't knock it until you try it. Shoots as well as any other AR I have. My wife is a small lady. So two lbs makes a big difference when packing it around and holding it up standing. O ya her fingers don't get cold from the metal either. LOL. We used Barnes 62g I believe the TSX.

Last edited by DanMorgan; 09-20-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Spike

What was your yardage on those?

Last edited by DanMorgan; 09-21-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

RR
Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
try the 60 gr partition or the 64 gr win. power point, not the best deer gun ever but adequate.
RR
Thanks-

I was going to try to build a "hunting" load this summer around 70gr bullets that I never could find (along with the time), but I came across two boxes of Winchester factory loads a couple of weeks ago loaded with the 64 gr PowerPoint. Hoping to run them through the 16" (1:8) and 20" (1:7) barrels this weekend to see which shoots them best.

What powder and charge have you used with the Noslers? I might be more inclined to use that bullet than a 70-gr (if I can find them)
Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DanMorgan
I can see that, but my wife took hers with the new Bushnell Carbon 15. Don't knock it until you try it. Shoots as well as any other AR I have. My wife is a small lady. So two lbs makes a big difference when backing it around and holding it up standing. O ya her fingers don't get cold from the metal either. LOL. We used Barnes 62g I believe the TSX.
I'm not familiar with the Bushmaster Carbon 15 - haven't even seen one yet. I'm sure my wife would use it on me if I ever brought one home, even if I said it was for her!

My wife's handled my A2, but I can't seem to get her to think that my carbines are anything other than "machineguns." Methinks she's been watching too many movies or too much CNN?

Nice goats!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Spike

Homer Brother,

I reloaded mine with the Barnes 62g, Varget powder, and federal primers, brass was federal as well. They destroyed these animals. I mean the vitals looked like tomato soup. The one shot at 305 yards, both rounds went completly threw. I would have loved to see the expansion on these bullets. I have a 1-9 twist on both of these AR's.

DanMorgan
Old 09-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DanMorgan
Homer Brother,

I reloaded mine with the Barnes 62g, Varget powder, and federal primers, brass was federal as well.
DanMorgan
I use Varget in quite a few different loads, so I have a fair amount of it on-hand. It's probably what I'll start with. I've used BL-C(2) with 60 gr HPs, but wasn't generally impressed with the results. Then got into a cheap source (back then) for M855 ball and stopped loading for the ARs.

I've been loading 50 gr V-Maxes for three bolt guns using Varget for coyotes and prairie dogs in both .223 and .22-250 and have lots of bullets and powder on hand for those two loads, but nothing that would be suitable for big-game hunting with either. I don't think the .22-250 is going to stabilize a heavier bullet well, so working up a load with a heavier bullet in the .223 may become my winter project.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always used H335 in the 223 for 60 and 64 gr loads, the 64 gr will stabilize in a standard twist 22-250, also nosler just came out with a bonded bullet in .224 which is designed for the standard 22-250 twist.

RR
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Spike

I have never used H335 powder before. Might have to give it a try. My idea was to try Varget just because I have read it's the best powder for temp change. Now I don't have a clue if that's true, but that's why I started with it and got good results. I am not a reloader hound. If it can shoot better than 4 MOA I am a happy guy and meat is on the table.

Have you seen a difference in H335 with big temp changes?

Thanks for the info.

DanMorgan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.