Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Scope on 700 >

Scope on 700

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope on 700

Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Scope on 700

Ok im goin with a rem 700 prob 3006. Lookin for a recommend for the scope. Id like to stick round 200 or so dam budget cut. Id like to get a bdc scope if i can i loved my omega bdc on my triumph. So can i get it for 200 and what should i put on the remmy. Plannin to bear and elk hunt unit 28 and maybe 18 in co
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't believe in BDC reticles, since you'll rarely find a load that even comes close to the ballistics that they use, but to each their own.

Personally, I think you're underbudgeting for your scope, putting a $5 saddle on a $40 horse doesn't make sense any more than putting a $40 saddle on a $5 horse makes.

For $200, you're looking mostly at 3-9x40mm scopes: Nikon Prostaff BDC, Bushnell Legend DOA or Trophy (or Elite 3200 on sale), Vortex Crossfire or Diamondback, Leupold Rifleman (or VX-1's on sale), etc will all meet your price specs.

I'd personally up the ante $50-100 more and get a Bushnell Elite, Nikon Buckmaster, or Leupold VX-1 or 2.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Solid choice in rifle and chambering.

I'll echo NM448's comment above regarding BDC reticles (my experience has been EXACTLY the same) and budget. I've also been in the boat where my system budget has been consumed by the rifle with little left for the scope and mounts. So, I bought fully intending to upgrade at the first opportunity - which was forced upon me the first season I used that setup when it fogged so badly I ended up having to borrow a rifle. Fortunately, the only mounts available to me were from (the old) Redfield, which that rifle still wears. Know the risks up front.

I'm assuming you're also looking at having to spring for the base and rings with the $200 you have left? That's going to make things tight. Nothing will make a good rifle shoot like fecal matter faster than a marginal scope in a junk ring/base setup. Ugh. I don't envy you here.

Just a quick look on "that internet auction site" and it looks like you can probably pick up a 3-9x or 4-12x Vortex Diamondback for something between $150 and $200. The others mentioned above could be similar. If you're going to skimp on the scope to start with, at least get one with a reputable warranty. I'd highly recommend you put some budget into good scope mounts that'll be worthy of whatever you top that rifle with down the road. Who knows, you may luck out on your scope skimp and not have to change anything?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Spike

My first scope was a Vari-X III 2.5 X 8 Matte about 20 years ago (mol). I was so pleased with it on my Rem 700 .270 that I bought two more of the same model when I got a .300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag. Although higher powered variables have been the rage for several years, I still believe that this model is the perfect size for western big game hunting in the UK, and it remains the best value in a hunting scope.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others on the BDC, for about $100 more if you can swing it get the Leupold VX-2, I like the 3-9x40 with a plex
Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 AM
Typical Buck

Under $400.00 I personally like Weaver over Leupold. Weaver scopes have crisp clean 1/4" MOA adjustments. My Cheaper Leupold's do not. 1/2" MOA at a 100 yards or more adjustments. I'm not banging on Leupold's I like the glass I like the durability I just don't like having to sight one in, but once it's there it stays there. Even the Weaver Kaspa scope in the $100.00 plus range is a solid scope. Have never had a Nikon scope so they might be good.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Spike

i have a 700 in 243 with a redfeild 3x9x50 and I love it prolly gonna get another one for my 45 70 i think i pay $169 half the price of a leupold in the same size
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I typically opt for premium optics, your specs are doable. There has been some good suggestions offered. I would urge you to go over to S.W.F.A. and check the Samplelist for slightly used, trade-ins and discontinued models.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I personally don't believe in BDC reticles, since you'll rarely find a load that even comes close to the ballistics that they use, but to each their own.

Personally, I think you're underbudgeting for your scope, putting a $5 saddle on a $40 horse doesn't make sense any more than putting a $40 saddle on a $5 horse makes.

For $200, you're looking mostly at 3-9x40mm scopes: Nikon Prostaff BDC, Bushnell Legend DOA or Trophy (or Elite 3200 on sale), Vortex Crossfire or Diamondback, Leupold Rifleman (or VX-1's on sale), etc will all meet your price specs.

I'd personally up the ante $50-100 more and get a Bushnell Elite, Nikon Buckmaster, or Leupold VX-1 or 2.
Yeah I agree with Nomercy448...I would also suggest you also look at Swift's Premier line of scopes. I especially dislike BDC scopes...
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

BDC reticles work good for a guy like me where the window of opportunity opens and closes so quickly.

I like to still hunt mostly - can't just sit there all day..................

Certainly if I always had the time to "dial in", I would prefer target turrets.

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-24-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.