Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Difference between a handgun and pistol? >

Difference between a handgun and pistol?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Difference between a handgun and pistol?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Spike

Question Difference between a handgun and pistol?

I was looking at antique firearms and checked laws on them, it seems very confusing, here is what i found regarding small arms. "a license is required to possess, collect and carry antique pistols. The licensing statute defines an antique pistol as: any single shot, muzzle loading pistol with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or before l898, which is not designed for using rim-fire or conventional center-fire fixed ammunition; and any replica if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rim-fire or conventional center-fire fixed ammunition, or uses rim-fire or conventional center-fire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade. To the extent that an “antique pistol” is not also an “antique firearm,” a license would be required for lawful possession.

NY Law has interpreted this to mean antique rifles, shotguns, handguns, and replicas thereof, are generally exempt from the above restrictions and can be bought and possessed without a permit. (Persons who shoot muzzle-loading handguns must be properly licensed.) However, to fall within the exemption, antique handguns must be unloaded and possessed without the materials required for loading."...... So whats the difference between a pistol and a handgun? Any answers are appreciate.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Handgun = two (2) types

Revolvers & Pistols

Revolvers, which are a type of handgun, have multiple revolving chambers; pistols have a single chamber.

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-18-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

So I guess the .256 Ruger Hawkeye is a pistol on a revolver frame.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

How laws are written don't usually reflect reality when it comes to firearms. A handgun is generally classified by the BATFE to be a firearm that is designed NOT to be fired from the shoulder (i.e. doesn't have a buttstock), plus considerations for overall length and barrel length.

Revolvers are obviously a class of handguns. Autoloading pistols are also a class of handgun. Bolt action handguns are often called "Specialty handguns" or "specialty pistols", as are break action handguns.

The word 'pistol' often gets applied to any handgun except revolvers, even by learned shootists.

Now, the law you're referring to, I would expect, is meant to prevent the purchase and ownership of antique handguns or replicas thereof without some sort of license. I'm assuming that in that area, you have to have a FOID card or some other type of firearms license to purchase and own modern pistols/handguns. In that case, antique handguns would not qualify. For example, in Kansas you only have to be 21 to purchase a modern handgun and pass the NCIS check. But to purchase a replica black powder cap and ball revolver, you only need to be 18. So one way to get around the law is to buy a cap and ball revolver, then buy a conversion cylinder. Giving you a legally purchased cartridge firearm without being legally able to buy a cartridge firearm.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Augustus MCCrae said he had ........."shot many a sassy bandit with just my pistol." ( a Walker model Colt revolver)

Works for me.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thought for this morning:

You'll see a lot of shooters correct others for incorrectly using the term "clip" to refer to a "magazine". I usually don't jump on people for this, but they are well defined terms that are properly used by 99% of shooters, even if they are commonly mal-assigned by non-shooters. Some people choose to be elitist and be "mag-Nazi's" and jump down the throat of anyone that mistakenly calls a magazine a "clip". Mostly that's their way of saying "I'm smarter than you".

If anyone calls any handgun a "pistol", it's generally accepted. Revolvers would be the only class that are RARELY get called "Pistols" but it does happen. Specialty Handguns (break action and bolt action) are very commonly called "Specialty Pistols" even by those in the know, and obviously Autoloading pistols of course are "Pistols". It seems to me that the term "pistol" was very common use for all handguns at one point, then once more varieties were available, some guys started reclassifying it. We used to call all motorized vehicles "Motor carriages", and then once there were "cars", "vans", and "trucks", we stopped using the general term "motor carriage" and assigned more proper names. BUT, remind yourself that we all buy our trucks from a "car dealership". We all buy our "guns" from "gun shops", but for what it's worth, I make a conscious effort to NEVER call a firearm a gun. Rifle, shotgun, Pistol, Revolver, firearm, weapon, never a "gun"...

So for what it's worth, and this goes to the person that might use the terms interchangeably, and those elitist that might condemn someone that does, my opinion is that if someone calls any "handgun" (except a revolver) a "pistol", no foul. If someone jumps on you for calling bolt action XP-100 a "Pistol", they're just being a prick.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 08-20-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mostly that's their way of saying "I'm smarter than you".
Uumm no..that is my way of correcting a person.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm. Interesting. Generally, you could probably get away with calling a revolver a "pistol" in most conversations. Where you might find disagreement is if you were to call Colt's M1911 a "revolver" (what "revolves" in a semi-auto?)

I usually choose a more universal term - "handgun," but if I were pressed to make a distinction, I'd suggest that there are revolvers (that which has a rotating cylinder AND holds more than one round), and everything else is a pistol.

Splittin' hairs....