Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
10mm Rock Island Armory, Finally got it!!! >

10mm Rock Island Armory, Finally got it!!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

10mm Rock Island Armory, Finally got it!!!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 10mm Rock Island Armory, Finally got it!!!

I finally was able to go pick up my RIA Tactical 2 in 10MM this past week. Great looking weapon!!! It comes with a blue satin finish. TIGHT slide to frame fit!!!! Red fiber front, 2 white dot rear. Skelotenized trigger and hammer. Bushingless, heavy barrel. Grips are rather sharp for now, will wear in as I handle/carry it more. Only 1 8rnd mag with rubber bumper base. Sit it on a table with my Remington R1 Enhanced .45 and walk across the room and you could not tell which was which!!!! Was only able to shoot it a mag's worth off the deck the other night and it shot like a champ!!!! I hope it shots as well as my other RIA in 45. Trigger was crisp and clean. Mag drops cleanly. It even has a beveled mag well!!!! Nice touch especially for a carry weapon. Will have to get back with range results and pics when I remember!!! Here are the pics and my new Rock River A4 Varmint just came in as well so I thought that I would throw a pic of it as well!!!!
Attached Thumbnails 10mm Rock Island Armory, Finally got it!!!-100_2901.jpg   10mm Rock Island Armory, Finally got it!!!-100_2903.jpg   10mm Rock Island Armory, Finally got it!!!-100_2902.jpg  

Last edited by SecondChance; 09-01-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds awesome, post pics.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got the pics now.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! The only problem I ever had with my Rock Island 45 was jamming. In the first 250 shots, it jammed like crazy. I paid a gun smith 30 bucks to polish the slide and I NEVER had another problem. I think the mixture of getting broke in and the slide being polished fixed the problem. What a great gun for the money!

What's the recoil like on the 10mm? You could use that thing for bear protection!!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had not even fired a shot out of it and I had both polished the slide and the ramp!!!! I do that with all my autos. I even done it with my R1 and it is stated to have it already done.

Recoil is like that of a 45, just more sharp. I usually shot 200 grn out of my 45 and I am shooting 180grn out of the 10mm are pretty close in the target load realm. I carry it with Black Talons and they have a pretty good kick when you light them up.

As far as a bear side arm goes, I would not feel undergunned in black bear country, but would much prefer something with MUCH more lead if I had my choice. But it would beat a 22 in the instance though!!!! We shot an old 60ft mobile home last week with the 10 with a 180grn FMJ that was getting ready to be torn apart and the frame used for a trailer. Everything was intact including the appliances in the kitchen. I stood outside the back bedroom and shot from end to end. We went inside to find the round lodged in the compressor unit of the fridge on the other end!!! It hit one wall stud going through the bedroom and then just paneling and insulation till it hit the fridge. A real test of the round, no, but was rather impressed with the horsepower of the load. A reload. I would carry it as a bear country backup if I were bowhunting. More rounds than a 45. More horsepower than a 357 or 40. Seal teams use the 10mm in the their MP entry weapons. Ted Nugent carries it in a Glock as a side arm.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Spike

I had a glock 20 and a 29. I sold the 20 but still have the 29. Great gun.
Really great round!
I carried the 29 on my Bighorn Sheep hunt recently anticipating for an encounter with a Cat.
No Cat,No Snakes but killed a nice Ca. Bighorn in Oregon.(rifle)
When I returned from the hunt I too picked up one of the RIA 10mm Tactical (no rail)
My dealer was kind enough to hold it for me until I got back. This is a fun gun to shoot!
I have shot it 50 rounds and everything is good. I need to polish the ramp and slide also maybe some light trigger work but I want to get to 500 rounds then look at it again.Winter is coming and I will have plenty of time after Elk season. I had a couple of no feeds with a full mag. when babying the slide I got a little more aggressive with it and it worked fine. I think the ramp along with break in will cure the issue.
I am shooting Nosler 180gr hand loads with 11gr. blue-dot and the recoil is very manageable.
So far great gun for the money and accurate.
I am happy with it.
I also have a STI 1911 spartan in 9mm and it is also a great gun now that it is broke in.
They are made in the Philippians as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

That is my next caliber. I love the 10mm. Ive got lots of his little brothers (40 s&w )but still want a 10mm
Old 09-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
That is my next caliber. I love the 10mm. Ive got lots of his little brothers (40 s&w )but still want a 10mm
I have enough to start a family reunion!!!!!!! I really like the 10 as well. Just makes a nice in between 40 and 45. Just a PITA finding brass back though!!!!! Those puppies REALLY sling the brass!!!!! You have to shoot on concrete, indoor or have a really big tarp.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Spike

Hi Ya'll,
I've got a Glock 10mm with an additional 6" barrell. I love this gun. really accurate and never jammed. The black talons i shot are slow, sub-sonic I think. I like (so does the gun) 175 gr.Win. silvertips. My bro-in law reloaded some with cor-bon bulletts that are a real handful. My opinion is the best all around back-up, self defense and soon to be Hog hunting gun !!
Good luck.