Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Some insight to why a light barrel and heavy barrel can be equally accurate. >

Some insight to why a light barrel and heavy barrel can be equally accurate.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Some insight to why a light barrel and heavy barrel can be equally accurate.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Spike

[QUOTE=Mystro;4075628] For me as a hunter with a sporting rifle, if I can put 4 bullets in one hole at 100 yards with factory ammo, or 2"MOA at 300 yards, I am impressed and that rifle/ammo has surpassed all my expectations for a light weight hunting rifle./QUOTE]

I would still like to know how many people in the world have shot an elk off a bench. Now a lot of you back east hunters take your deer in a deer stand "sometimes nicer than my house I might add" and you have a bench like set up right there. But most of your shots are not over 100 yards. I don't care what MOA you shoot to or what your rifle will do. It only matters what MOA you shoot to out in the field with no bench. Think about it. How many people go out and shoot 3 rounds off the bench then go deer, elk, ect.....hunting. Blows my mind.

DanMorgan
Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

This post is sorta on target.

A heavy barrel can withstand many more variables than a light thin barrel. Different weather, different temps, different humidity, all affect the way a bullet exits a bore and accuracy.

I have been privileged to meet a few actual snipers in my day domestically and other. And I agree with them when they say, there's a reason gunsmiths are not in the field. And good tactical shooters are not in a shop.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

As long as I'm the one having to carry it I'll take light every time over heavy. I've never seen a light sporter weight rifle that wasn't capable of better accuracy in the field than the guy behind the rifle. Bench rest competition is another matter of course. I'll get into the bench rest debate over on "benchrestnet.com".