HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   new handgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/384117-new-handgun.html)

bigtim6656 08-15-2013 09:00 PM

new handgun

During a bout of stupidity I sold most my guns. Mainly over a dumb chick
Well in a few weeks I'm gettin a new one mainly cause the move to the rockys. Want one for hunting incase of lions pissed of moose or bears ohh my. Always been a glock man but gonna look at my options. If had a glock 45 and 9mm in both full size and subcomp. I want to stick to 45 but could see goin 357 Revolver
So what u guys recommend if shot the xd40 so kinda thinkin bout an xd45. But imbopen to suggestions. I'm a big guy and i can conceal a glock 21 With a thin Hutton up over it so size a non issue

Tundra10 08-15-2013 09:49 PM

I'm going with the buy what you are comfortable and shoot accurate group.

Bullcamp82834 08-15-2013 10:04 PM

You said you are getting a new one but didn't specify new gun or new chick.

The smart move is get both.

As for guns I'd go with a 4 inch DA 357 mag. Cougars are your biggest concern here and even that is way remote.

As for chicks I recommend a babe who either is or once was a barrel racer. Trust me. ;)

bigtim6656 08-15-2013 11:43 PM

Agreed on gettin both lmao

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834 (Post 4073314)
You said you are getting a new one but didn't specify new gun or new chick.

The smart move is get both.

As for guns I'd go with a 4 inch DA 357 mag. Cougars are your biggest concern here and even that is way remote.

As for chicks I recommend a babe who either is or once was a barrel racer. Trust me. ;)

Nomercy448 08-16-2013 06:24 AM

If you're looking at .357mag revolvers seriously, which I highly recommend you do, then I'd also highly recommend the Ruger SP-101 if you want something on the smaller side, or the GP-100 on the larger size. The Ruger SP-101 might be my favorite handgun ever made. (In my own defense, my proclaimed favorite is the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Cassull, but she's not very nice and a little chubby to carry around everyday. The SP-101 is like a Mini-Me version with more class and none of the sass).

Teach Deer 08-17-2013 02:53 PM

If you are still thinking of a Glock, it is hard to beat a G20 in 10mm for an outdoors gun...though finding quality ammo (not the watered down stuff) is difficult...

The 10mm Winchester 175 grain Silvertip is a handful and as effective on nuisance wildlife as you are likely going to want to carry around...

Mystro 08-17-2013 03:38 PM

If you like Glocks then you NEED a Glock 20. I am a Sig fan but still own a G20 for heavy woods work. You just can't beat the firepower and weight. Its a big gun but on the hip, it carries well. I have killed a few deer with mine and it seemed to kill faster than a 357mag. I reload my 10mm and have come up with some very nasty rounds but over the counter Winchester SilverTips are a great round at 175grain pushing 650lbs. It will take care of Black bears efficiently and will destroy two legged threats. The real beauty of the G20 is the speed of follow up shots on aggressive game. Even if you get only half the rounds into the charging game, you still are hitting more than with a full cylinder of perfect shots from a revolver. If the G20 is too big then look at a G29. I have owned a G29 for a while and the only issue was the short barrel was noticeable on the chronograph. It basically gave a 40S&W spec performance, and that's not a bad thing either. I went to the much smaller G27 for easier carry. If you live rural and can only have one gun, then the Glock 20 should be at the top of your list.

bigtim6656 08-18-2013 04:01 PM

Im thinkin a glock 21 no real need for a compact and my buddy just told me he has my glock 45 mag i left at his house and 25 rounds of 45 hollows i had there

Mystro 08-18-2013 04:25 PM

A G21 is a fine gun and there are some very hot 45acp rounds that would work for woods protection. To be honest, I am a die hard 10mm fan and even competed with it but the brass has gotten so much better for the 45acp and the factories are putting out some strong +p 45acp rounds that I tend to carry my 1911 45acp more these days even in the woods.