Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buyin from walmart >

Buyin from walmart

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buyin from walmart

Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Buyin from walmart

I saw the rem 700 i want at walmart for 417 100 bucks or more cheaper then anyone else. Iv heard things as not to buy guns at walmart as their lesser quality. Is there any remote true to that with Remington
Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

just a myth....Walmart buys in large volumes of product therefore the prices can/will be cheaper
Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, just a myth!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

MYTH! I'd buy there any day! I bought a Marlin Model 60 there the other day and it shoots lights out! They are carrying AR15's here in Colorado.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not entirely true.

At times Walmart has offered to buy X number of say...a muzzleloader but they want it far cheaper. T/C for example has made a cheaper version just for them and some parts are not the same. Such as castings instead of machined parts in the trigger group. Some of these "shortcuts" in manufacturing eventually were used in later models sold to other retailers.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-09-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

GM54 has a valid point. A local big 5 store sells the cheaper (less expensive) models of different guns (especially shotguns and rifles). Walmart may or may not have a cheaper model. Something you'd want to confirm before buying. still, everybody likes to get a good deal on a gun.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

99% of firearms sold at Walmart are the EXACT same model that you would buy at any other shop. EXACT same.

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Not entirely true.

At times Walmart has offered to buy X number of say...a muzzleloader but they want it far cheaper. T/C for example has made a cheaper version just for them and some parts are not the same. Such as castings instead of machined parts in the trigger group. Some of these "shortcuts" in manufacturing eventually were used in later models sold to other retailers.
In the event of this low volume of 'Walmart Exclusive' (the 1%), there are three VERY simple ways to determine if the model you see on the Walmart Rack is lower grade than other shops.
  1. Look it up on the manufacturer website. If the specs on the Walmart version don't match up with any given model online, i.e. model numbers, specs, etc etc, then decide whether you care about the differences, or would rather save the money. Ruger used to sell Walmart cheaper stocked 10/22's, did it effect anything? Only the sale price... If you don't have a smart phone, they'll let you use their computer at most Walmarts, or retreat home to research it.
  2. Look at it with your eyes. If the stock is lower grade than you want, don't buy it. If it has a plastic trigger guard and you aren't into that, don't buy it.
  3. Pick it up and feel it in your hands. Even walmart lets you handle firearms before you buy them. Test the action/stock fit, trigger feel, etc etc.

Long story short, buying guns isn't rocket science, and Walmart is a great place to buy them. The expense of producing distributor exclusive models usually prohibitive, so it just doesn't happen that often, and when it does, frankly, there is no value in changing how you machine critical components like barrels, actions, triggers, sears, etc. It's the extraneous components, trigger guards, mag plates, magazines, stock materials, sights, etc that a manufacturer can skimp on that can shave production costs, most of which that don't actually effect the function of the firearm in the least.

For what it's worth to me: I like to see guns in every mainstream store that I can. Keeping the average person used to being in proximity with firearms is good for our industry. They might not like guns, might not own guns, might not support the RIGHT to own guns, but the more times I walk by my neighbors pitbull and it doesn't bite me (she's actually quite the doll), the less I expect EVERY pitbull to bite me.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 700 is a 700, no matter who is the retailer. These "specials" have nothing to do with a 700.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what it's worth to me: I like to see guns in every mainstream store that I can. Keeping the average person used to being in proximity with firearms is good for our industry. They might not like guns, might not own guns, might not support the RIGHT to own guns, but the more times I walk by my neighbors pitbull and it doesn't bite me (she's actually quite the doll), the less I expect EVERY pitbull to bite me.
Completely agree. A part of the fear of guns is that they are not commonly seen. A kitchen knife can easily kill. Part of why we do not fear them is because we see them so often. If I am not mistaken this is part of the reason for the open-carry movement. Firearm advocates want the general public to see firearms more often and open carry where legal is a good way to do this.

Regarding the original topic: I once purchased a Marlin .22 magnum at a Wal-mart. It was an outstanding shooter and as far as I knew the rifle was true to any other rifle of the same model. I sold the rifle but only to fund a different purchase. I would not hesitate to buy from Wal-mart in the future.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

WalMart not only sells cheap grade Rem 700s , they also have a secret deal with the government in which the guns they sell have tiny transmitters imbedded under the buttplate that allows the Feds to track your movements.

My brother in law is a janitor in the Federal building in Casper and he told me all about it. A file clerk he is doing told him so it has to be good info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.