HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Please suggest a 30-06 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/382494-please-suggest-30-06-a.html)

Dave in Hawaii 06-25-2013 05:11 PM

Please suggest a 30-06

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I was referred here because you guys know your stuff on hunting.

I'm wanting a 30-06 and was wondering if you guys could share some opinions.

I'm looking for an all around 30-06. Something that can be used for everything from deer in a stand to elk in the mountains.

I could go for a nice older Sako or a new Tikka. Those are about the only rifles I'm familiar with. My budget for the rife is in the $1000 range and another $500 or so for the scope.

I do like a nice crisp trigger that is in the 2.5 to 3 pound range. It would be a big bonus not to send it to a gunsmith.

Lastly, I would like to please ask in advance that this does not become a caliber debate. I want a 30-06...just cuz. (Thanks for your understanding on that).

I'm looking forward to your suggestions,

Dave

Just for fun, here's a photo of me at our local range.

OhioNovice 06-25-2013 05:14 PM

$1000 will buy you just about any .30-06 out there. Tikka's are very nice but you cant go wrong with a Remy 700. But others on here are far more experienced than I.

Mojotex 06-25-2013 05:36 PM

Two suggestions come to mind.

Styer Pro Hunter "Mountain". I have one 308 Win. Excellent trigger. Great accuracy. Easy to tote - 20" barrell. Stock length of pull is adjustable by adding removing spacers.

Ruger 77 Hawkeye. I have shot a friends 7mm 08 at the range. Trigger is adjustable. 22" barrel. Shot great groups. This design has a control feed action witch might be of advantage if you run into a critter in the mountains that hunts back.

As for scope ... you should have plenty of room if $1500 total is your budget for a really good scope. My opinion as far as a great value is the Ziess Conquest 3-9x40 mm. These are available with several retical options. I prefer the German #4.

Dave in Hawaii 06-25-2013 06:14 PM

Cool, thanks for the thoughts. I was not familiar with some of those rifles.

I think I will jump on one of those Ziess Conquest 3-9x40 scopes with all the great reviews.

I appreciate your input,
Dave

bugsNbows 06-26-2013 03:19 AM

IMO, your Sako idea is great. Perhaps an older model 75 (I have had that gun for over 10 years and it's still my favorite). The triggers are great, fit and finish flawless and they SHOOT.

sconnyhunter 06-26-2013 08:17 AM

What fits the best is what you will shoot the best. Go to several guns stores, handle some different guns.
You may find that a Ruger fits better than a Sako (Sako is a fine gun) but may not fit your frame as well as a Remington or Winchester.

Mojotex 06-26-2013 10:01 AM

Sconnyhunter makes a great point. Fit and balance are a big deal in a hunting rifle.

I mentioned the two that I did because they are somewhat compact and both shoot great groups. So, if toting "extra" weight around tough terrain is an issue, the more compact rifles might be to some advantage.

Dave in Hawaii 06-26-2013 10:32 AM

The Sako fits me well.

I have two options in Sako, same price, same condition. Which would you get:
a. TRG-s
b. AV

Thanks,
Dave

GRIZZLYMAN 06-26-2013 11:52 AM

If you can find an old Sako L691, it may be worth the money. I suspect a lot of people that bought those, as I did, aren't selling them. They are silky smooth in the action and very accurate.

emtrescue6 06-26-2013 01:14 PM

You can't go wrong with a Tikka in my opinion...for the money they are a great rifle...adjustable trigger is crisp and breaks like glass and is easy to adjust; accuracy is really good out of the box; bolt is smooth as butter; detachable magazine is a plus. I have a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in 270WSM and really love the rifle for all of the reasons above.

That being said...other good options out there include Browning A-Bolt...also adjustable trigger is nice and crisp and easy to adjust; detachable magazine is easy to use; good accuracy out of the box; and can be had in a nice wood stock if desired. I have one in 25WSSM and am very impressed with it's accuracy.

Savage Model 10's and 11's are also another good option...again, very accurate from the box; very nice adjustable trigger (if you get one with the accu-trigger); detachable magazine is available in most versions; accu-stock option is a plus for upgraded beaded stock options...I have a model 10 in 308 and a model 11 in 7mm-08...both shoot very well and like most "food" I feed them.

Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) is also another good low-cost option. My daughter and niece shoot Vanguards in 243 and they are very accurate out of the box, have a nice trigger and handle very nicely.

You most certainly can't go wrong with a Sako...I own a Sako, but it's a Finnwolf (lever action)...so can't provide you any personal experience with them. Remington 700 and Winchester Model 70's would also make the list...I have several 700's but they are all older BDL's and a onder 70 (pre-'64)...so again can't give any person input on never versions of these rifles. I am not a big fan of Ruger bolt action rifles...they are durable and certainly reliable and will get the job done, I just despise their crappy factory triggers.

All of the above will serve you well.

Optics options in your $500 budget...

- Nikon Monarch (clear as an Zeiss for less $$). I have one on a new build that is just about finished and am very impressed with its clear optics!
- Nikon Pro-Staff (will certainly serve you well, but you can see the difference side by side with a Monarch)...I have a couple and they have served me very well in the field.
- Swift (very good scope for the money, American made glass and components, great warranty, very clear and well worth looking at)- I have several, some for over 20 years and all have been trouble free
- Bushnell Elite 3200/4200...have one on my 25WSSM and a 243 and they are amazingly clear and is well built.

Invest in good rings/bases from Warne (my personal fav...Made in USA and steel!), EGW, Millett or Lupy

Sheridan 06-26-2013 05:10 PM

Knowing what I know now, I would;

Split my $1,500 budget closer to 50-50 (rifle-scope)

Rifle; All work done by qualified gunsmith
Buy new "drop-in" trigger
Barrel hand lapped & floated (if not already done by manufacturer)
Bed action
Follow "proper" break-in procedure

Take a look at these;

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/weatherby-vanguard-rifle-vgs270nr4o-winchester-griptonite-stock-stainless-finish-p-121954.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/marlin-bolt-action-rifle-xl7270-winchester-black-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-117249.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/ruger-hawkeye-bolt-action-rifle-hmk77rfp-7119-winchester-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-99578.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/tikka-lite-bolt-action-rifle-jrtb318-winchester-bolt-action-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-90826.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/remington-stainless-bolt-action-rifle-7267-winchester-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-86358.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/howa-1500-rifle-whogue-stock-hgr62612-winchester-bolt-action-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-99595.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/savage-116fcss-weather-warrior-rifle-17799-bolt-action-black-stock-stain-steel-finish-wdbm-p-86703.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/thompson-center-icon-weathershield-rifle-5547-winchester-synthetic-stock-weathershield-finish-p-112298.html

Scope
Lifetime Warranty
Side adjustable objective
Fog proof & rain guard
BDC reticle or target turrets

Gm54-120 06-26-2013 07:09 PM

A friends grandson just got a Tikka T3 SS Lite in 30-06. I really liked the weight and balance. I thought it was very nice for the price.

SnakeEater 06-26-2013 09:45 PM

I've had my Remington 700 for 12 years now. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I just recently took down 2 hogs with it. I use a Nikon prostaff with mine. 30-06 is the way to go. Just my 3 cents.

Dave in Hawaii 06-27-2013 09:59 AM

Thank you for the excellent input. I appreciate the help,
Dave

Centaur 1 06-28-2013 05:39 PM

Take a look at the Thompson/Center Icon Classic. It uses a bedding block system, 5R match grade barrel, scope bases are machined into the receiver, and a 3 lug 60* bolt.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon_classic.php

Sheridan 06-28-2013 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Centaur 1 (Post 4064808)
Take a look at the Thompson/Center Icon Classic. It uses a bedding block system, 5R match grade barrel, scope bases are machined into the receiver, and a 3 lug 60* bolt.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon_classic.php

...............sounds like a darn good place to "start" too me !!!

Dave in Hawaii 06-28-2013 06:26 PM

That's a real nice looking gun.

My buddy has one that he's real happy with.

Thanks,
Dave

mn trucker 06-29-2013 06:43 PM

It's been a long time since i saw that range.
I have a Tikka in a 300WSM wish I would have got it it a different caliber though. it's a great rifle mine has a leopold VXII on it. that should be under your $1500 budget.

Dave in Hawaii 06-29-2013 07:05 PM

What caliber do you wish you would have gotten in your Tikka?

Here's another photo for you.

How about this view? Recognize it?

Okefenokee Knives 06-30-2013 04:49 AM

I shoot a Remington 700 with a Bushnell 3 x9 x 50 scope on it. If you will be hunting the Scope is as important as the rifle.Here in South Ga. the game moves better in low light or in the thick brush which also limits the light. Go to the gun range on a Saturday and shoot a couple od shots with other peoples rifles to see which one feels the best.
Nice pictures

mn trucker 06-30-2013 11:03 AM

I was stationed there from 89-92 with a few pumps in between.
when I bought my Tikka i was getting ready for a elk trip. My buddy was a Magnum freak and was convinced to get a magnum rifle. i was ignorant at the time. The tikka is a long action rifle and getting it chambered in a short action is silly to me now ,but I wanted a 300wsm at the time (wsm were the flavor of the month) I have not been elk hunting since. Here in MN hunting the woods the shots are to close for something moving that fast. the 300wsm is expensive to just play at the range. i don't reload now when i gun hunt i use my dads 30-06 Remington 742 but i mostly bow hunt now.

Dave in Hawaii 06-30-2013 12:20 PM

I hear ya. Someone was telling me to get a WSM but there's very little ammo out here for that.

Dave

WV Hunter 06-30-2013 01:03 PM

Lots of good rifle options mentioned. Personally, I'm a fan of Rem 700's. Scopes...obviously the Zeiss Conquest is very good, as well as Leupolds, and I really like Sightrons also...the Big Sky is incredible. Good luck :)

Mr. Slim 07-03-2013 06:52 PM

I have a rem 700 sps 06 and topped it off with a leupold 4x12 vx 2 scope. it shoots very well and does the job for me. I load 165 grain btsp for deer.

Colorado Luckydog 07-03-2013 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dave in Hawaii (Post 4065003)
I hear ya. Someone was telling me to get a WSM but there's very little ammo out here for that.

Dave

They were giving you GREAT advice. There is more 300 WSM ammo out there than 30.06.

I'd go for a Remington 700 or a Browning A-Bolt or X-Bolt.

emtrescue6 07-04-2013 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dave in Hawaii (Post 4065003)

Dave

As COLucydog stated...300WSM ammo is actually more easy to come by now than 30-06. And it is a great caliber! Shoots flat, accurate, less recoil than an '06 and takes advantage of a short action making it quicker handling and lighter.

I too would recommend the Browning A bolt, as well as the Tikka T-3.

leeman 07-08-2013 05:41 PM

30-06 is a great round. It's not the fastest or the coolest newest thing on the block but it will FLAT get it done. And one of your responses hit it right on the head fine ammo is readily available for it. Had a Remy 7400 30-06 nothing wrong with it but I let friends convince me into something else. Need I say a bad move. So if a 30-06 avails itself to me in a BAR or a nice bolt gun it will be coming home with me. All that to say take the time to find what you want and you will be happy with a nice 30-06.

jdhaines32 07-09-2013 06:53 PM

I am also a fan of the Remington 700. Last year I purchase a 700 Sportsman LSS with the Laminate stock and stainless barrel in 30.06. I am very happy with the purchase and the accuracy. But as others have said there are also many other great rifles out there. Another of my favorites in the Savage 110.

Dave in Hawaii 07-09-2013 07:16 PM

It is awesome to have so many great choices.

I ended up sealing the deal on a NOS Sako TRG-s (M995) in 30-06. My understanding is that it was a sporter version of their TRG sniper rifle and made back in the 1990's. I seem to get off on the more odd ball stuff. Hope it works out.

Thanks,
Dave

Sheridan 07-09-2013 07:58 PM

That's an odd-ball, but it's a Sako !!!

Let us know how it shoots ?

Dave in Hawaii 07-09-2013 10:19 PM

Yea, sometimes I go off and get funky.
So many cool guns...so little space in the safe.
Dave

leeman 07-11-2013 09:27 AM

SAKO heh. That is probably be a jewel of a gun. Seems you've done well hopes it turns out great for you.

Savage_99 07-11-2013 06:26 PM

Dave,

Hawaii is a paradise. Lucky you!

I have shot the 30-06 and other similar rifles since the 1950's and today my favorite hunting rifle is so chambered!

I like it as much for the quality and features of the specific rifle. I have other 30-06's including my late dad's.

The control round feed bolt action 30-06's with a M70 type safety is what I find best. You should get the Sako, Tikka or what rifle you want. Keep in mind that you may get more rifles later. I still am after half a century or more.

Get what's available that you like now. Make sure it was a soft recoil pad and the LOP fits you.

Shop for a pre-64 M70 Featherweight with a soft pad that fit's you.

The third rifle from the top, an MS, is one of my 30-06's.

Dave in Hawaii 07-11-2013 07:00 PM

Hawaii is nice. It's a melting pot and that's kind of cool. Lot's of very kind and loving people. And, lot's of hot chicks to look at (I'm a married, bald dude...but still fun to look).

Anyway, nice guns. I was kind of hoping I would reach critical mass on the guns before too long. From what you are saying I should be planning for a second safe. Who knows, maybe that new Sako will be the perfect hunting rifle and I can cross that off my list. :)

It's all good.

Dave

Savage_99 07-13-2013 08:22 PM

Besides those big game hunting rifles there are guns for varmints, targets and other reasons.

I also enjoyed sailing for many years. Lucky you on those islands!

Jbergy 07-17-2013 08:43 PM

You should look into the Howa rifles. Those rifles are fairly inexpensive and they shoot pretty well and very durable. Ive guided many hunters within the last couple years and this seems to be a popular rifle. The trigger seems to be great also, which is a big plus. You should be able to pick one up for less than 1000 and then splurge on the scope.

Dave in Hawaii 07-17-2013 10:42 PM

Nice looking boat there Savage99.

Thanks for the Howa tip. Those look nice too.

I'm waiting on the Sako to arrive. My permit to purchase long guns expired and I started the renewal process today. That will take two weeks. Once that comes in I can apply to register the Sako. I think that only takes one week (compared to 2 weeks for handguns). So, I should get it in about 3 weeks. How's that for gun laws?

Most of you guys can probably walk out the store with your gun. Oh well, I've pretty much accepted it...
Dave

Dave