HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Please suggest a 30-06 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/382494-please-suggest-30-06-a.html)

Dave in Hawaii 06-25-2013 05:11 PM

Please suggest a 30-06

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I was referred here because you guys know your stuff on hunting.

I'm wanting a 30-06 and was wondering if you guys could share some opinions.

I'm looking for an all around 30-06. Something that can be used for everything from deer in a stand to elk in the mountains.

I could go for a nice older Sako or a new Tikka. Those are about the only rifles I'm familiar with. My budget for the rife is in the $1000 range and another $500 or so for the scope.

I do like a nice crisp trigger that is in the 2.5 to 3 pound range. It would be a big bonus not to send it to a gunsmith.

Lastly, I would like to please ask in advance that this does not become a caliber debate. I want a 30-06...just cuz. (Thanks for your understanding on that).

I'm looking forward to your suggestions,

Dave

Just for fun, here's a photo of me at our local range.

OhioNovice 06-25-2013 05:14 PM

$1000 will buy you just about any .30-06 out there. Tikka's are very nice but you cant go wrong with a Remy 700. But others on here are far more experienced than I.

Mojotex 06-25-2013 05:36 PM

Two suggestions come to mind.

Styer Pro Hunter "Mountain". I have one 308 Win. Excellent trigger. Great accuracy. Easy to tote - 20" barrell. Stock length of pull is adjustable by adding removing spacers.

Ruger 77 Hawkeye. I have shot a friends 7mm 08 at the range. Trigger is adjustable. 22" barrel. Shot great groups. This design has a control feed action witch might be of advantage if you run into a critter in the mountains that hunts back.

As for scope ... you should have plenty of room if $1500 total is your budget for a really good scope. My opinion as far as a great value is the Ziess Conquest 3-9x40 mm. These are available with several retical options. I prefer the German #4.

Dave in Hawaii 06-25-2013 06:14 PM

Cool, thanks for the thoughts. I was not familiar with some of those rifles.

I think I will jump on one of those Ziess Conquest 3-9x40 scopes with all the great reviews.

I appreciate your input,
Dave

bugsNbows 06-26-2013 03:19 AM

IMO, your Sako idea is great. Perhaps an older model 75 (I have had that gun for over 10 years and it's still my favorite). The triggers are great, fit and finish flawless and they SHOOT.

sconnyhunter 06-26-2013 08:17 AM

What fits the best is what you will shoot the best. Go to several guns stores, handle some different guns.
You may find that a Ruger fits better than a Sako (Sako is a fine gun) but may not fit your frame as well as a Remington or Winchester.

Mojotex 06-26-2013 10:01 AM

Sconnyhunter makes a great point. Fit and balance are a big deal in a hunting rifle.

I mentioned the two that I did because they are somewhat compact and both shoot great groups. So, if toting "extra" weight around tough terrain is an issue, the more compact rifles might be to some advantage.

Dave in Hawaii 06-26-2013 10:32 AM

The Sako fits me well.

I have two options in Sako, same price, same condition. Which would you get:
a. TRG-s
b. AV

Thanks,
Dave

GRIZZLYMAN 06-26-2013 11:52 AM

If you can find an old Sako L691, it may be worth the money. I suspect a lot of people that bought those, as I did, aren't selling them. They are silky smooth in the action and very accurate.

emtrescue6 06-26-2013 01:14 PM

You can't go wrong with a Tikka in my opinion...for the money they are a great rifle...adjustable trigger is crisp and breaks like glass and is easy to adjust; accuracy is really good out of the box; bolt is smooth as butter; detachable magazine is a plus. I have a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in 270WSM and really love the rifle for all of the reasons above.

That being said...other good options out there include Browning A-Bolt...also adjustable trigger is nice and crisp and easy to adjust; detachable magazine is easy to use; good accuracy out of the box; and can be had in a nice wood stock if desired. I have one in 25WSSM and am very impressed with it's accuracy.

Savage Model 10's and 11's are also another good option...again, very accurate from the box; very nice adjustable trigger (if you get one with the accu-trigger); detachable magazine is available in most versions; accu-stock option is a plus for upgraded beaded stock options...I have a model 10 in 308 and a model 11 in 7mm-08...both shoot very well and like most "food" I feed them.

Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) is also another good low-cost option. My daughter and niece shoot Vanguards in 243 and they are very accurate out of the box, have a nice trigger and handle very nicely.

You most certainly can't go wrong with a Sako...I own a Sako, but it's a Finnwolf (lever action)...so can't provide you any personal experience with them. Remington 700 and Winchester Model 70's would also make the list...I have several 700's but they are all older BDL's and a onder 70 (pre-'64)...so again can't give any person input on never versions of these rifles. I am not a big fan of Ruger bolt action rifles...they are durable and certainly reliable and will get the job done, I just despise their crappy factory triggers.

All of the above will serve you well.

Optics options in your $500 budget...

- Nikon Monarch (clear as an Zeiss for less $$). I have one on a new build that is just about finished and am very impressed with its clear optics!
- Nikon Pro-Staff (will certainly serve you well, but you can see the difference side by side with a Monarch)...I have a couple and they have served me very well in the field.
- Swift (very good scope for the money, American made glass and components, great warranty, very clear and well worth looking at)- I have several, some for over 20 years and all have been trouble free
- Bushnell Elite 3200/4200...have one on my 25WSSM and a 243 and they are amazingly clear and is well built.

Invest in good rings/bases from Warne (my personal fav...Made in USA and steel!), EGW, Millett or Lupy