Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot >

Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for versatile bolt action rifle, with ranges of 600+ yards for a good shot

Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

For kicks take a look at a 6.5 Grendel. At 200 yards the 308 and Grendel ballistics are very close. After that the Grendel rocks. Seriously last year I was looking at building a 308 in a AR platform. Where I stumbled on the AA 6.5 Grendel. I was impressed and excited. My goal is to shoot 500 yards by summers end. With the Grendel it would be a piece of cake. I just have to do my part Good luck!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BlackLab
For kicks take a look at a 6.5 Grendel.
Might also look at the 6.5mm Creedmoor or the .260 Remington.

A little on the light side for elk, but if I had a nickel for everyone here who wants to hunt elk but lacks the geography to do it....

This day and age, ammunition being scarce as it is, you're going to have fun hunting for ammunition for something unique like the Grendel, Creedmoor, .260, or .308 (anything "military" for that matter). Good luck finding empty brass for anything. Lately, about the only calibers I CONSISTENTLY see on the shelves are .243, .270, .30-06, and .300 WSM. Of those four, the one I see chambered most often in a "long range" rifle is - surprisingly - the .243.

If you're not reloading, you're going to be even more subject to ammunition availability - and there's one thing that's certain here: Long-range shooting DEMANDS a solid foundation of shooting fundamentals and disciplined practice which consumes ammunition.

My "go to" deer rifle started out as the "puny" .243 before transitioning to heavier chamberings, but experience with them over the years has led me right back to the .243. A tremendously versatile cartridge, varmints through anything deer-sized. If, some day, you have the geography and will or the funds to hire an elk hunt, you'd want something heavier. Don't base your selection today on something that may never materialize. Excepting places like Bremerton, the Navy typically doesn't tend to station people where elk live.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

6.5 Grendel as a 600yrd elk rifle? Not even 260rem in my book, and not likely a .308, but I'd take it. (For the record "matching ballistics" is a very loosely used term. My I have loads out of a short barreled .223rem that are almost a 'ballistic match' to my .30-06, but that don't make it good for deer hunting. ENERGY people, not just trajectory).

The reality of it:

Carrying a 13-17lb rifle into the field sucks, even if you're hunting from a stand. (I do it quite often, and recognize why)

Hunting at 600yrds+ requires a LOT of shooting at 600yrds+ to practice. Wind conditions, temperature, elevation, humidity, etc all factor in so much at that range that ensuring clean kills requires a LOT of dedication at the range.

600yrds 1MOA = 6". At best you're looking at 'somewhere in the lungs' with a 1MOA rifle. Keep in mind that a 1/4MOA rifle at 100yrds may not keep it together at 600yrds (rather you likely will not be able to keep it together). You really need something that you can put up 1/2MOA groups at 600yrds off the bench, recognizing you won't shoot that well in the field at go-time. (1/2MOA @ 600yrds = 3" group = just a touch smaller than the size of a deer or elk heart). Realize that before you send a bullet 700yrds after game animals.

Making shots at 600yrds requires a solid rest, which means your set/stand design will be different than conventional hunting styles. Most of my longer range sets are designed to let me lay prone either off a X-bag sand bag or a shooting rest, or shoot off of a bench from the same (in a blind). 600yrds+ off of sticks is a VERY low percentage shot, 600yrds+ offhand is only common by outdoor sports writers...

You absolutely need GREAT glass at that range. Leupold VX-3 LRT's are about the cheapest in the group, Bushnell's 6500 Elite 4.5-30x50 is pretty reasonable. Nightforce can't be beat, but the scope will cost more than your budget.

Getting a 600yrd+ rifle for $1000-1500 isn't realistic unless you're talking used, or getting lucky. $2500 should get you there, but might be iffy. You should plan for about $1200 into the rifle (with prices right now) and another $1000 into the glass. Shooting rest not included. A bulls X bag will put you back about $100 these days, and will work well enough. Bipods are decent, harris or nothing in my book, but sand or solid rest = better. Rock BR = great front rest.

Factory ammo CAN shoot that well out of a factory rifle and kill game at 600yrds+. Is it likely or common? No. Since you'll be mobile, setting up a reloading system probably isn't in the stars.

I'm a huge fan of Savage 10 and 12 for factory accuracy. Rem 700 Sendero's will cost you more than your budget I believe, but that's my other factory favorite for long range precision. At $2500, I don't believe you could get a proper custom job done for long range precision work, not with satisfactory glass.

A rifle that surprised me a lot: Savage 16 Bear Hunter .300WSM. All the savage accuracy out of lighter barrel, same high performance Accu-trigger, and a very reasonable pricetag.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

I sure hope it isn't deleted in 2 days--that would be a shame. Your sequence in building up a long range hunting rifle is interesting and not one I had ever considered. What did you find worked better doing it that way? Also, I'm curious as to your input on the type of rests you used on your 450-1350 shots. I am considering a longer range hunting rifle and have been reading this topic for some of the experienced posts. to date, I've only hunted out to 375-400 yards which is a much different (and easier) performance window. My only true long experience was in the Marines but that was a long time ago, somewhat different and with iron sights with much younger eyes.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Really sad to see you go RR...I wondered why we hadn't seen much of you lately, was hoping everything was OK. I for one will miss you as I have learned so much from interacting with you and really enjoy your shared thoughts. Do you post on another forum?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ridge,

NEVER let ANYONE ruin YOUR fun !!!

I can only reiterate EMT's thanks for you & your input here on Huntingnet.com

Look forward to hearing more from you in the future.............................
Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JsoldanUSN
I am currently at a training command in the US Navy, so i will be moving around, but I'm looking for a bolt action rifle that would be good for hunting game from white tail to mule elk. Also with the ability to shoot over ranges accurately, i was thinking a heavy barrel. Overall just a solid platform I can put a nice scope on and can depend upon being a straight shot. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated

jon

(price range up to around 2000, but preferably around 1000-1500)
jon,

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm
Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

600 yard shots on game?

ALL of the guys I've known who were capable of such shots. (Trained military or police snipers) were way too smart to engage in such stuff.

Get closer. It's called hunting.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

".......600yrds+ off of sticks is a VERY low percentage shot, 600yrds+ offhand is only common by outdoor sports writers... NoMercy

Apparently, I missed reading this the first time around........Excellent !!!