Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Model 70 Sporter to Featherweight conversion >

Model 70 Sporter to Featherweight conversion

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Model 70 Sporter to Featherweight conversion

Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Spike

Default Model 70 Sporter to Featherweight conversion

I have a M70 Sporter Classic model in .30-06. I'd like to replace the stock with a slimmer featherweight model stock. Is there any part of the gun that will have to be replaced/modified in order to do this? The floor plate is one that I am not sure of. Any advice is appreciated!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

You should be able to find what you want if you look hard and Google on some of the major stock manufacturers. What is special or different about the floorplate on it? This link to Boyds may be exactly what you want and are asking about as far as the floorplate.

http://yjt7u.4bkax.servertrust.com/T...ester-s/28.htm

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-02-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

CDNN Investments has replacement featherweight stocks at a very reasonable price
Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

Your sporter weight rifle will have a different barrel contour. You will need to relieve some of the wood in the barrel channel to drop in your action. I believe the floor plates are the same dims just the Featherweight has been aluminum to save weight.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Superpig
Your sporter weight rifle will have a different barrel contour. You will need to relieve some of the wood in the barrel channel to drop in your action. I believe the floor plates are the same dims just the Featherweight has been aluminum to save weight.
Thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for. Does anyone know of a good source to find an OEM Featherweight stock? Or at least one that includes the checkering that came with them? I have only been able to find blank stocks so far.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Numrich has some OEM stocks

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...225.htm?page=8
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Yoter
Thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for. Does anyone know of a good source to find an OEM Featherweight stock? Or at least one that includes the checkering that came with them? I have only been able to find blank stocks so far.

Try Ebay or Gunbroker too...
Old 06-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Unless the present stock is broken I would keep the rifle as a back up or sell it outright.

Just buy a Featherweight and get the real barrel contour as well with the deal.

I have M70 Featherweights since they came out and I like them. These days I like the Kimbers even more.

The Kimber rifles also have an excellent M70 type three position safety that controls the firing pin and the desirable CRF as well.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles

Last edited by Savage_99; 06-08-2013 at 11:43 AM.