HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Good 22-250 bolt action under 500$ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/381200-good-22-250-bolt-action-under-500-a.html)

Black Betty 04-29-2013 04:08 PM

Good 22-250 bolt action under 500$

Hey guys i need a Good 22-250 bolt action under 500 bucks I want a stainless barrel and i want to shoot coyotes up to 350 yards any suggestion thx

Black Betty 04-29-2013 04:09 PM

and synthetic is prefered

emtrescue6 04-29-2013 04:31 PM

Look at...

Savage 11's or 10's...I have a Model 11 in 7mm-08 and a Model 10 in .308...they both shoot great and can be had for under $500...get one with an accu-trigger...

Tikka T3...have one in a 270WSM...shot sub-MOA out of the box with 3 different handloads...adjustable trigger breaks like glass, bolt as smooth as butter and detachable mag...well worth every penny I spent on it...

Browning A Bolt (or X Bolt)...I have an A bolt in 25 WSSM and it too shoots very nice...adjustable trigger, detachable mag...shoots very well...have heard the same about the X Bolts...but may be over your $500 budget...

Weatherby Vanguard (AKA Howa 1500)...my daughter and niece both shoot Vanguards in .243 and they too are very accurate and handle nicely...

Those are my recommendations...many others will add several rifles to the list (Remington 700...I love the older ones not so much a fan of newer ones) and so one and so on...bottom line is find a rifle that has the options/accessories you want that fits you and feels good in your hands...fit and comfort are the most important elements when I buy a rifles these days.

Good luck in your search.

NebBuckHunter 04-29-2013 07:44 PM

Save your money and get a bull barrel. Be prepared to spend another $500-$700 on a scope. If you aren't ready to dish out that $$$. Keep saving.

emtrescue6 04-30-2013 09:47 AM

Don't listen to people who insist on a bull-barrel...if you are gonna want to hunt with it, that barrel just get's too dang heavy and lug around...I have several heavy barrel guns and most the time they hang out in the safe unless I am headed to the range. if you intend to ride the bench and punch paper...a bull-barrel may be a good option, but at the end of the day I see minimal improvement in my bull-barrels over my standard barreled rifles most of the time. Also don't believe anyone who insists you have to spend $500 - 700 on a dang scope...there's a time and a place for those optics (I love my Kahles and Zeiss scopes...but they don't ride my most hunted rifles). You can find a very good piece of glass from Nikon, Swift, Burris, Lupy or Redfield for well $300 to get you stated and can always upgrade later if you want/need. A Nikon Monarch or a Swift Premier will do you as well as any $500 scope out there. Get out there and sling some lead!

A Savage Model 11 and a 3-9x50 Nikon with rings and mounts will do what you want and can be had for close to your $500 budget.

NebBuckHunter 05-01-2013 06:59 PM

Excuse me,...but my nikon monarch WAS $500. On sale!

A bull barrel with a nice backpack style sling and good bipod hasn't been any more inconvenient for me than any of my other rifles. My 22-250 is a designated coyote rifle and I like the added weight for increased stability for those longer shots off the bipod. To each their own.

NebBuckHunter 05-01-2013 07:04 PM

And really, my point was that in today's climate, $500 isn't going to get you much of a rifle. Definitely isnt enough to get you a "good" rifle that's ready to shoot. (Still need the scope). Seen it too many times, people have some change in their pocket,Maury the first thing they an afford, and then wish they would have saved the extra $200 and got something they really wanted. Uilty of it myself. I have a weatherby vanguard S2 25-05 ($500 gun) with a zeiss scope on it that I haven't even fired. Wish I woulda just saved for the MK V

homers brother 05-02-2013 03:57 AM

I tend to agree that you're not going to get much rifle anymore for $500 if you're buying new. I don't know that a bull barrel is an absolute necessity, though.

I've found myself not to be a raving fan of the .22-250. It's usually marketed as a varmint cartridge and packaged in a "varmint rifle" - not something really well-suited to clunking around after coyotes on skis or snowshoes. Further, it's draw often seems to be centered around that blistering 4000 fps, 40 grain bullet. I've found that behond 300 yards, that little pill sheds performance at an alarming rate. So much so that I'll take a .223 with a 60-gr bullet over a .22-250 with a 40-gr bullet any day I expect to be shooting beyond 300 yards. I'm happy with the .22-250 now, but only now that I've shed 200 fps by moving to 50-gr V-Maxes. It's weight is still a problem, thanks to a 24" bull barrel and varmint stock, and it's best suited set up over a prairie dog town. I might be tempted to use it on coyotes if it weren't so heavy.

If you can find a .22-250 with a sporter or simliar taper barrel, it'd probably be fine as a walking coyote rifle. It'd be better loaded with heavier (higher BC) bullets. And then there's glass. Varmint rifles tend to get those 50mm objectives and 20-plus power on the top end Hubble telescopes. Not useful on a walking coyote rifle.

emtrescue6 05-02-2013 04:31 PM

I do think it is unlikely to get a complete package for under $500...You can certainly get the rifle for under $500...a Savage Model 11 can be had for under $400 and you can actually find them on shelves right now...and it will certainly be good 'Yote medicine at the 350 yard mark, assuming the shooter is up to the task at hand. I would also say an acceptable piece of glass can be had under $300 for a 350 yard gun...Nikon Pro Staff, Nikon Monarch (if you catch them on sale and don't go for a 8-32x50...), Swift Premier, Burris, and Red Field can probably be had under $300 if you shop in a 4-12x50 which is plenty of scope for 350 yards...

I too am not a huge 22-250 fan, don't even have one in the safe currently...like Homer, I tend to prefer my 223 with a 50g or 55g Nosler BLT or my .243 also loaded with a 55g Nosler BLT over the 22-250.

Point is, if you look hard enough you can find the rifle under $500...but not with glass...his post wasn't clear if the $500 included glass...I assumed it didn't.

dog killer 05-04-2013 04:56 PM

Add more dollars for a bipod,sling and bullets. It will add up fast. I use a Mueller scope on my setup. A decent scope for the money.