Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns
257 Weatherby 4 Sale >

257 Weatherby 4 Sale

Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

257 Weatherby 4 Sale

Old 08-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Great round if your hunting cape buffalo or elephants it ruins way to much meat on deer and elk...and god help ya if ya hit a bone...you'll have a hole big enough to stick your head in LOL!!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Spike

Default 257 Weatherby

Originally Posted by finnbear
Great round if your hunting cape buffalo or elephants it ruins way to much meat on deer and elk...and god help ya if ya hit a bone...you'll have a hole big enough to stick your head in LOL!!!!
LOL is right cause obviously you don't know anything about ballistics.
The 257 is a 25 cal. bullet and can be loaded hot or not and even if you did it wouldn't destroy any meat with the proper bullet placement. You should read more. This rifle is a fine rifle for anything from rodents to Elk and in the hands of some even more. But as for destroying meat I've killed 6 deer with mine and the worst I did was to take out a shoulder. What can I say I missed the heart.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by finnbear
Having hunted Africa 5 times I can assure you that no PH on that continent is going to take you after buff or ele with a 257 Wby. Minimum caliber in most places would be either the 375 H&H or the 9.3x62 Mauser.

As to meat damage, that would depend on the bullet being used. Something like a soft Hornady will do a lot more damage hitting a bone than something like a Barnes. Or I could use a solid and just have 2 nice little round holes. But, no matter what bullet you use you will not have a hole big enough to stick your head in.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 AM
Typical Buck

My father's 257 any shoots 117 Sierra.bullets, and don't ruin meat. Shot behind shoulder no more meat damage than 20/06 with a way bigger bullet.
It's been.said weatherby shot a cape buffalo lengthwise with a 257 weatherby. It was one of his favorite cartridges.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
It's been.said weatherby shot a cape buffalo lengthwise with a 257 weatherby.
Yes he did with a solid bullet. But, and this is a big but, he did it years ago in Kenya under a special permit, under controlled circumstances and was backed up by a PH with a big double rifle. That is something that nobody will legally duplicate now.

W.D.M. Bell shot over 1000 ele with things like a 318 WR., 303 British, 7x57 Mauser and a 6.5x54 MS. But the days of using light calibers for heavy game are over. Every country with legal safaris observes a minimum based on either caliber/bullet weight or energy in joules. The 257 WBY is a great deer/antelope round but it isn't a dangerous game round.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 AM
Typical Buck

Not for sale. Change of heart. I purchased a new stock to make the rifle free floating, and I also ordered a new trigger. I am also getting into reloading and would love any input about reloading this caliber.