Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which is better for the $$ >

Which is better for the $$

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which is better for the $$

Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which is better for the $$

I was doing a comparison of the Savage Axis .308 vs the Mossberg .308 4x4. I know these are a lower end guns, but for the dollars which would be a better gun?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The mossberg is a cheap knock off of a better savage model than the edge. I'd personally go savage, then do the 2cent trigger job, but either will be a good shooter for the price.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The mossberg is a cheap knock off of a better savage model than the edge. I'd personally go savage, then do the 2cent trigger job, but either will be a good shooter for the price.

I agree as well with a trigger job no matter which one you choose.

I hear more good things about the 4X4 than the Edge ~ i'd suggest to save your money and take one more "step up".
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

The Savage Axis would be my choice. However, for that price range I think the Ruger American is a better choice.

That said once you step up to the Savage 110/111 with the accu trigger for not all that much more it's better than all of them and the way to go in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 AM
Spike

I agree. My 111 Savage in 270 shoots much much better than any other gun I could afford for the same results.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

the marlin xl7 and the ruger have really good reviews, probably the same money and moa out of the box
Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Marlin xl7 is about the same money, Ruger American a tad more. If I remember right, the Ruger has an adjustable trigger (like the Savage Accutrigger). I looked at them all pretty close last summer and bought . . . a Savage Model 11, much nicer gun for about $150 more (also liked the Weatherby Vanguard 2 for about the same money as the 11). I'd shop around and take a serious look at the Ruger if that's what the budget says. And of the 2 specified, I'd go with the Axis.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

I just looked at the Ruger and the Savage. I went with the Ruger because it shouldered better. I personally think the Vangaard is a better rifle, but it was $150 more and I still had to buy a scope, so it didnt fit into my budget.

If I could do it over, id buy the Ruger is .30-06, because .308 is waaaay too hard to find right now. Everyone has .30-06 laying around.