Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rifle weight >

Rifle weight

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle weight

Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 AM
Spike

Default Rifle weight

Hello, been looking to get a rifle for my dad for his birthday. He is kind of sensitive to recoil. Do you know of any good rifles that have a substantial weight to them? He likes the browning x bolt but i'm worried about that its too light.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

Laminated stocks usually weigh 1/2 - 1 lb more than a standard wood stock on most models. I hate breaks but maybe if he wears hearing protection a break is in order.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

NS - The X bolt as well as the A bolt are fine rifles. As for recoil it would depend on the model and chambering. What does he plan on using it for? Varmint, deer, black bear, or larger game.
If nothing larger than deer or black bear, a 7-08 or .308 is plenty of power. IMO (or it could have been the stock design) but I've found that a synthetic stock seems to absorb more recoil than a wood stock. But I must say I do like a finely grained wood stock. And a good recoil pad like a limbsaver or even a recoil absorbing system could help your dad cope with recoil. Good luck
Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just buy a caliber that doesn't have much recoil. .243, .260, 7mm-08.... pretty much any model gun in those don't kick much at all, even the lightweight models.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

While i like a light rifle in moderate calibers i acquired a ruger 77 in 25-06 with a heavy barrel and laminated stock. Kind of afraid to weigh it but it is definitely heavy.
Recoil negligible,would be nice to let him try it. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Just buy a rubber pachmyer pad to slip on the end. Does wonders. Also the savage model 12 bvss is about a 10 lb gun with the laminated stock and heavy stainless barrel, before scope
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

What is the rifle for?

The X bolts are made in ***an. Not much pride in owning a gun made by those that started WW2.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Several questions....what does he intend to do with it? Target shoot, hunt big game? Varmint hunt? That drives caliber (which impacts recoil)...

I have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 25 WSSM...it actually kicks more than I expected it to, but not enough to require changes like a brake or recoil pad. I have rifles with brakes and/or recoil pads (I really prefer Limb Saver recoil pads, the ones I have I really love!)...but they are all magnums...

Also, how recoil sensitive? A wood stocked Browning A or X bolt in .243, 7mm-08, 25-06, and even 308 should be relatively easy on recoil....I would even add 270 WIN to that (my 270 actually kicks less than most of my 308's)...the .243, 7mm-08 and 25-06 are all great deer rifles and easy on the shoulder...my 8 year old daughter and niece both shoot .243's without trouble.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I much prefer my rifles to be light than concerned on how much they kick.

My first concern will always be how accurate they are !!!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are recoil reducers that you can have installed inside the buttstock that add weight and reduce recoil by having a liquid inside of them. The movement of the liquid during recoil absorbs or slows the recoil pulse. The recoil pad is removed from the stock, a hole is drilled, the reducer is popped in, and the recoil pad goes back on. I see them sometimes in heavy kicking rifles used for dangerous game. A recoil reducer will add weight to the stock, but a reducer and a good pad will cut the recoil by a considerable amount.

There is a model available that can be installed into the forearm also.

Here is an example: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...-prod6728.aspx

Example of forearm: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod25270.aspx

Last edited by Big Uncle; 02-26-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.