HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   See through scope mounts? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/379235-see-through-scope-mounts.html)

thelukai1100 02-20-2013 07:11 PM

See through scope mounts?

I have some on my Remington 760 and thinking of getting them for my 308.

I really like them on my 760 because most shots around here aren't over 50 yards. but I occasionally hunt open fields and the scope is great.

Whats your opinion on See through scope mounts?
are there any downsides? I cant seem to find any.

Wingbone 02-21-2013 03:03 AM

I have a very low opinion of see-through mounts. It seems like a nice idea, but there's a reason that you see very few see-through mounts on rifles. They usually put the scope up too high. Your scope should be mounted so that when you put the gun up, you're looking through it instantly. If you have to stretch your neck or move your head around to see the sight picture, it's not good. Once you put a scope on, you have a tendency to use it. With a variable powered scope, you can set it at low power to be useful for the closest distance your situation calls for. You can still shoot a deer at 100 yd. with a 2x scope. I've shot deer right below my tree through my 2.5 power scope.

thelukai1100 02-21-2013 03:27 AM

Thanks for your opinion, I really like mine. I have a tendency to use the sights instead of the scope. most of the hunting I do is deer drives, so its really nice using the sights when the deer are running. a scope doesn't do well at tracking running deer (tried it before with normal mounts). when I'm hunting or at the range and use the scope I don't seem to notice that I'm stretching my neck up.

WV Hunter 02-21-2013 03:41 AM

My opinion is the same as Wingbone. I really don't care for them. It takes you out of optimal shooting position when looking through the scope. And I personally can use a scope for deer up really close, out to real far. I have used a scope for so long, its very easy for me, even on moving targets. That said, I know alot of folks have trouble tracking with a scope, and if you have to search for the game in the scope your odds go way down.

It sounds like you are probably using that setup the exact opposite way that MOST people plan on. Most use a see through setup to be able to use the open sights "in case" they need to. You are using the scope "in case". In your situation, thats probably not a bad set up. I honestly never really thought of anyone using them that way.

And really....the key for YOU is do what you like, don't worry about what is said here. If it fits your style and needs, go for it! :D

8mm/06 02-21-2013 06:30 AM

I've used see-thu's before, from the ridiculously high Holden Ironsighters, to some that I still have on a couple .22's that are very reasonably low.
The ones on the .22's just barely allow me to use the irons below the scope, and the scope is not lifted much off the usual line of sight. Seems like a great use of see-thrus on these 2 .22's. And I've found them to be very useful for squirrels in the woods using the scope, and then pests around the house up close and personal using the irons.

However, I've solved the problem of being able to use my irons AND my scopes for center fire on a couple rifles that are relegated to my fairly close-up swamp hunting, crowded timber hunting, and other brushy areas.

My solution is the old system by Weaver known as the Pivot-Mount system. Some don't like them b/c they don't return to the exact POI every time, but in my practice in use I find that the POI shift is almost legible. This could be b/c the 2 rifles I use that employ the Weaver Pivot-Mount system are both quite low recoiling cartridges (.243 and 6.5 X 55) but I'd be surprised if properly installed that POI would shift more and .5" @ 100 yrds, and I certainly will never get a shot beyond 150 yrds in the places I use these 2 rifles.

The Weaver Pivot-Mount system uses a special base and ring that snaps over to one side if wishing to use the irons, then snaps back down in place held by a tough spring steel retaining clip. I don't believe they are made anymore, but I got into collecting them a while back and have a crap load. I plan to sell them off on eBay soon, but I'll keep a few for the rifles I own.

You can still find them available on eBay, and also in very limited amounts in some very well stocked gun accessory shops. I'd also think you might do well to check with older generation gun shops that have been in the same location for generations.

Again, I wouldn't use this set-up on anything where I needed to use a heavy recoiling round AND needed to ever make shots beyond 175 yards, but it works great for me in the applications I mention above.

Big Uncle 02-21-2013 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 8mm/06 (Post 4037761)

My solution is the old system by Weaver known as the Pivot-Mount system. Some don't like them b/c they don't return to the exact POI every time, but in my practice in use I find that the POI shift is almost legible. This could be b/c the 2 rifles I use that employ the Weaver Pivot-Mount system are both quite low recoiling cartridges (.243 and 6.5 X 55) but I'd be surprised if properly installed that POI would shift more and .5" @ 100 yrds, and I certainly will never get a shot beyond 150 yrds in the places I use these 2 rifles.

I remember those mounts. I have not seen them for sale since the 1960's, but a friend of mine's father had a set on a deer rifle. The scope would swing away to the left, and would return to within two inches of zero at 100 yards (well within "minute of whitetail"). They allowed the user to take a normal hold and get the same cheek weld with both the scope and the iron sights. They are not perfect but I like them much better than see-through mounts that take the cheek off of the stock.

8mm/06 02-21-2013 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4037794)
I remember those mounts. I have not seen them for sale since the 1960's, but a friend of mine's father had a set on a deer rifle. The scope would swing away to the left, and would return to within two inches of zero at 100 yards (well within "minute of whitetail"). They allowed the user to take a normal hold and get the same cheek weld with both the scope and the iron sights. They are not perfect but I like them much better than see-through mounts that take the cheek off of the stock.

And on a left-handed bolt or a lever action a lefty can mount them to swing to the right!

They will acutally return closer than 2" @ 100 yrds if you ...

A. Mount carefully and use proper force to tighten the bases. Also apply a little clear nail polish or the proper loctite color, and ...

B. Tighten the rings onto the scope using proper force also, then ...

C. Make sure the spring clip is mounted well with the 2 screws that hold them in place, and make sure the clips are bent in such a fashion to get a real good "snap" hold on the pivot clip.

And I can't stress enough that use in harder kicking cartridges than I use will likely result in more "walking" from original POI than I experience.

I find them to be a VERY acceptable solution to having scope AND irons at my disposal. ESPECIALLY if you employ a light kicking cartridge like, .243, 6.5 X 55, 7mm/08, or for that matter a heavier than usual rifle that will absorb the punishment from the discharge instead of shaking shooter and scope to death.

bugsNbows 02-21-2013 01:51 PM

I abhor see-thru mounts. Worst case scenario, put QD mounts on... flick two levers, remove scope (then vice-versa).

8mm/06 02-21-2013 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by bugsNbows (Post 4037861)
I abhor see-thru mounts. Worst case scenario, put QD mounts on... flick two levers, remove scope (then vice-versa).

Thats basically what the old Pivot-Mount system gives you, but without the exact POI return that the new and best QD mounts give you. Its actually faster than the 2 levers of the QD systems cuz you merely grab ahold of the middle body of the scope and push it over. The one positive the Pivot-Mount gives you is that in an instant you can go to irons and you don't have to find a spot in your pocket or on the ground for your scope. It stays there with the gun.

No way is the Pivot-System better than the best QD systems ... but it can serve a purpose as in my case where I'm trying to pick up shots from about 20 to 50 yards in a tangle of stuff. Works for me in couple of cases. And besides, it's kinda nostalgic to use this old system WITH a older vintage Weaver K-3 or KV 2.75-5.

thelukai1100 02-22-2013 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by bugsNbows (Post 4037861)

I thought about those but when I'm hunting and I see a deer at 200 yards, I don't want to have to fumble with pulling the scope out of my pack and putting it on while my adrenaline is going.

With the see through scope mounts when using the scope I keep a jaw weld. I get 1 Moa accuracy with the scope at 100 yards, which is supposedly really good for a Remington 760.