Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
See through scope mounts? >

See through scope mounts?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

See through scope mounts?

Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the same camp as the rest, i don't like them. Had them on a Marlin 336 and took em off.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

I see a lot of posts downing the see through scopes. I kind of go the other direction when it comes to these. We used ACOG's when I was in Iraq. My personal weapon had a Trijicon 4x32. The only downside I saw to this is having to zero your weapon 2 times. With the scope I would hit 37 to 39 out of 40 targets on a timed pop up range out to 350 meters and the good part about it was that there was no time lost in switching to iron sights at the 50 -100 meter targets. No adjusting, no kentucky windage. Maybe it is because I was in the military and the type of shooting I did out there was a bit different than deer or elk but like Iraq, you never know when your target is going to pop out and at what range. In my hunting experience you can set up in the perfect spot with trails coming in and know when they're coming in but the day you hunt something will change their patterns.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will not use see through mounts. If I want a scopes rifle that occasionally would need a snap shot that would necessitate irons, I would put a red dot on an offset mount or on top of some Burris rings.

In that way, my cheekweld is ideal for my scope for the majority of my shooting, then only moderately compromised for shorter range work that has a bit more margin for error.

Will not waste my hard earned money on see-thru mounts.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
how close does something hafta be where you have to have iron sights to shoot? I've shot running deer at 30 yards with a straight 6X leupold, and at 50 yards with a variable set at 12X. with a variable in the 2.5x8 or 2x10 they shouldn't be able to get too close.
RR
Try as I might, I'm not quite as bada$$ as you just yet my friend! :fightin g0007:

I generally agree, well practiced, there is no such thing as too much magnification or too close for a scope. I started using a two sight system at the end of my 3gun running, a red dot set up at 25 yrds and the scope on 8-10x for the 100-300 yrd work. Liked the set up, so I converted to it for hunting.

Also helps for low light morning shots when the glass isn't quite bright enough yet.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had them on a 30-30 and didn't like them at all.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
how close does something hafta be where you have to have iron sights to shoot? I've shot running deer at 30 yards with a straight 6X leupold, and at 50 yards with a variable set at 12X. with a variable in the 2.5x8 or 2x10 they shouldn't be able to get too close.
RR
most of my deer are shot at 30 yards and less.
the closest was less than 5 yards running with see through scope mounts (using the sights of course) I wouldn't of got that deer if i had been using just a normal scope.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really dislike see thru mounts also, but for the opposite reason than others have. Having the scope sit up high isn't ideal, but it's workable for deer hunting. I find that the open sights are harder to see with those rings and the scopes eyepiece and objective lens just hovering above the sights. It's much harder to see a deer that's up close or running, with everything distracting from a clear view of the sights. I'm with Ridge Runner when it comes to scopes, if you're using the right scope for the job there's no such thing as being too close for a scope. Take a look at the Bushnell banner 1.5-4.5x32mm scope, this is my favorite scope for my lever action 30-30's. When mounted properly and turned down to 1.5 power, it's more like using a shotgun. Practice shooting with both eyes open, for me it's easier to use crosshairs than it is to align both sights with the target.