Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Cant decide which caliber >

Cant decide which caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cant decide which caliber

Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
may be old, but the saami specs for that cartridge hasn't changed, win. 760 has been around for eons, and pressure still makes velocity.
all I can say is work ya up a load in a 338 winny that runs 3300 with a 185 and chrony it then see if the case will still hold a primer.
RR
Yeah, but apparently loading data changes. I do remember you proving this to me on the STW awhile back.

I will be testing the 180 Accubonds this spring and I will be slowly and carefully working up the load and shooting it over the chronograph. I wil let you know my findings.

Have you tried the new Long Range Accubonds yet?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Spike

Fritz, I am using Nosler #6 and your numbers are correct. the manual state a max velocity of the 338 with a 180 accubond at 3281 with a compressed load.
Personally I find that surprising however it is there. It is a compressed load.
I would doubt if that is a usable load. The Weatherby is built with long lead for a purpose.
To reduce pressure with max loads. A standard rifle with standard lead will build excessive pressure at max length. a Bi-product of compressed loads
As I stated before the biggest problem is the lack of sectional density with this particular mid bore/light for caliber bullet. However if you could get it to shoot accurately it would make a great long range Light game round.
This is interesting to me because this is VERY close to the 150 gr. Accubond load from my 300 wsm. Velocity is close slightly in favor of the 300. ballistic coefficient is substantially higher with the 30 cal bullet. Sectional Density is virtually the same.
Meaning penetration will be pretty much the same.
That 300 load is very effective on deer sized game and is not dangerously overloaded or compressed.
with the Higher BC the .30 Cal load is clearly a better choice than a light for caliber bullet from a .338
Have fun with your .338 experiment I hope you do not get hurt
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

.300 wsm as a starting point...

up to .340wby?

.270 is pretty close to a 7mm rem mag IMO.

so if you do want to step up and have long range I'd start at the .300wsm.

stepping up to a .338 cal will definitely be a step up in bigger bullets etc...

I chose a .340wby for a similar situation, fast, big, flat.

but any 300, 338 mag would do a good job I think.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stevenm2
Fritz, I am using Nosler #6 and your numbers are correct. the manual state a max velocity of the 338 with a 180 accubond at 3281 with a compressed load.
Personally I find that surprising however it is there. It is a compressed load.
I would doubt if that is a usable load. The Weatherby is built with long lead for a purpose.
To reduce pressure with max loads. A standard rifle with standard lead will build excessive pressure at max length. a Bi-product of compressed loads
As I stated before the biggest problem is the lack of sectional density with this particular mid bore/light for caliber bullet. However if you could get it to shoot accurately it would make a great long range Light game round.
This is interesting to me because this is VERY close to the 150 gr. Accubond load from my 300 wsm. Velocity is close slightly in favor of the 300. ballistic coefficient is substantially higher with the 30 cal bullet. Sectional Density is virtually the same.
Meaning penetration will be pretty much the same.
That 300 load is very effective on deer sized game and is not dangerously overloaded or compressed.
with the Higher BC the .30 Cal load is clearly a better choice than a light for caliber bullet from a .338
Have fun with your .338 experiment I hope you do not get hurt
Yep, that is the same book. I also got the Barnes manual vol. 3 that has the 185gr. XLC doing 3303fps with 77.5grs. of Win 760 powder. the load is on page 496 of that manual.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Yep, that is the same book. I also got the Barnes manual vol. 3 that has the 185gr. XLC doing 3303fps with 77.5grs. of Win 760 powder. the load is on page 496 of that manual.
Barnes #4 does not mention 760 for the .338 WM 185 gr.

Their hottest loads are:
Varget 63.5 3,013 fps
AA2700 70.0 3,011 fps
IMR4350 71.5 3,067 fps
Hunter 78.5 3,141 fps
IMR4831 73.5 3.046 fps
H4831SC 76.0 3,018 fps

The .340 Weatherby has a 760 load (86.0 grains) that shows a blistering 3,247 fps.

My chronograph and the Barnes Promotional Publication (Reloading Manual #4) have not matched very well. It is a waste of money.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I normally do not load to maximum. If more punch is needed, I use a bigger stick. My loads are normally the ones that give the best consistent accuracy which for me has been somewhere in the middle for most cartridges. However, there are exceptions...

Good luck to all those that work close to the sharp edge!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
if ya push the envelope it will cost ya (ask me how I know this)
Ok....how do you know this LOL, sorry had to do it

How do you know when you see pressure signs, what is that?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Spike

RR I was aware that max loads may not be overpressure. my point was there is no relief for a longer seated bullet with compressed loads on a rifle without long lead.

I had some loose primer pockets erode a ring in a bolt face on some hot and longer OAL loads. getting close to the lands. At that point things are getting dangerous .
Old 02-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Spike

Here is the weird part the bolt did not jam up. Just pushed the primers out and cut a ring into the bolt face.
I wonder if I have a slight headspace issue?
Anyway that is how you get there pushing a bullet faster from a rifle than it wants to go.
I was lucky I was not hurt and got a way with a ding in my pride along with a repair bill.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Spike

I will double check but I swear I was .010 off the lands. I checked prior to loading and that was the max OAL I could get to feed through my Magazine and I wanted to know how far off the lands the bullet was. needless to say I will run them a tad shorter now.
Converted 98 Mauser to 35 whelen with Magazine work.
Load OAL 3.350
250 gr. bullet touches lands OAL at 3.360
Max saami OAL is 3.340 maybe they were too close but I am pretty sure the were not jammed against the lands.
This all reinforces my point that if you try hard enough you can do damage.