Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.270 Weatherby Magnum >

.270 Weatherby Magnum

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 Weatherby Magnum

Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Spike

Default .270 Weatherby Magnum

I have inherited a very nice early Southgate Mauser in .270 Weatherby
The rifle has a custom synthetic stock and is butter smooth. the rifle is obviously been refinished and is excellent shape. I do not have the wood stock but would love to locate one.
the original Mauser weatherbys have a 1-12" twist barrel.
My Question is what bullet?
I called Barnes and they are saying they think it will only stabilize their 110 gr. TSX
Nosler says 130 gr. Max
research tells me it should stabilize 140 speer grand slams but I do not have any experience with that bullet.
Do any of you own one of thse? Can anyone share some experiences with this set up?
Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

The 270 Weatherby has enough case capacity to make it shoot 150 gr bullets like a 270 win with 130 gr velocities. Which would be ideal on longer range ft lbs and higher BC. But the 270 Weatherby we have likes 140 gr Accubonds and 150 gr Speer Boat tails the best. It's about an even race on accuracy. Down range I have found the Speer to be more consistent in that gun. It also has a 1 in 12" twist. I would stick around 140gr and 150gr bullets in the Weatherby when you start loading for it. The 130gr velocity out of a 270 Weatherby might need a tougher bullet at those velocities.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

Forgot to say yes 110 and 130gr bullets would be optimal for the 1 in 12" twist but depending on the gun those are not always obsoletes.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Spike

Thanks for your response. Mine is very accurate with the factory 130 ammo. That stuff is cheaper than buying just the brass. I don't think I would want to shoot a game animal with the sp bullet provided at that velocity. I bet they would be great on coyotes
It is good to hear that someone has shot 140 accubonds without issues. with the price of reloading components and the current scarcity it is a lot easier to ask someones experience before starting the search for components.
JBM Ballistics has a chart of bullet lengths and that helps with the search
www.jbmballistics.com also a twist calculator that will tell you what will stabilize and what shouldn't...in therory
however that information does compare to actual experience.
Thanks again I am going to try a box of 140 accubonds in this rifle.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Steve never played around on that site. Started playing with the maximum distance calculator and compare loads interesting results compared to another topic where comments were thrown about. Not that it makes a difference but might add to terminal ballistics vs. long range shooting. Of course no one is going to shoot 5000 to 6000 yards with much luck. Haha
Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting the Hornady 140 grain boat tails out of mine for deer and yotes. For elk and moose I like the 150 grain Speer hotcores. I do load the partitions and grand slams, but don't really notice much difference on how fast a critter hits the dirt. they like to be loaded warm to hot, and will take anything on this continent with authority.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Spike

redgreen is your rifle the early 1-12 twist (Usually a southgate mauser or early german made gun) or is it a Mark V with a 1-10" twist?

Last edited by stevenm2; 02-17-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is a 26" krieger 1 in 10 twist.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Spike

So ridge you are suggesting that I pay no attention to bullet length? because the added speed of the weatherby will spin the bullet about the same as a .270 win?
It is not that I do not believe but rather surprised because it is contrary to what the stabilization calculators are saying. It would appear the magic length for the speeds this cartridge can generate is max around 1.25 at 3000 fps meaning a 150 gr. partition or grandslam,swift or woodleigh. (not accubond,Hornady IB or Barnes)
I am no doubting you guys with experience (as this is new ground for me) but rather sharing what I have been able to find elsewhere.