Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
bullet preference >

bullet preference

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

bullet preference

Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default bullet preference

I might be opening a can of worms here. LOL

Just curious to see what peoples preference was on hunting bullets (for deer sized game)? There seems to be so many types on the market today, and honestly I've not tried most of them. I shoot 139gr Hornady SPBT Interlocks in my .280 with handloads and they always have performed perfectly. Always a pass-through, and put the deer down in a hurry. I've not used anything different in the last 25yrs in that gun and killed a pile with it.

I know many folks are a fan of Nosler Partitions, and some like the Ballistic Tip. What about the Hornady SST? Any other type bullets you guys like, and/or pro's cons?

Do some types perform better in smaller cartridges (.243, .260, etc) and others better in larger (.30's +)?

My son actually shoots 100gr CoreLock's in his .243 and they have worked flawlessly as well, on every deer he's ever shot at - and the one my daughter shot this year too. (we actually recovered that bullet - hard qtring shot, was just under the skin on the off shoulder - it did well). I know many folks are not a fan, but I can't say anything bad about them.

Figured I'd post this to see what others like and have had success or failure with. Hopefully this won't become an all out war - as I know personal experiences can vary.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to use Rem Corelokts out of my .30-06 and haven't had any issues. But now I'm more into accuracy. I recently had GA Precision custom build me one of their GAP-10s chambered in .308. I have done some research and have found that Nosler Trophy Grade ammo is the most accurate out of a precision gas gun like I have. That is what I'll be using when I hunt with it. For punching paper I'm going to be using either Black Hills Match Ammo in 168g BTHPs or Copper Creek's 175g match ammo.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 154gr. Hornady SST's in my 280 for deer, they shoot great and are devastating on deer. For my 223 I use a Nosler 60gr. Partition for deer. For elk, I use a Nosler 225gr. Accubond in my 338. For bear I use a 350gr. Hornady RN in my 45-70 and a 300gr JSP. Seirra for my 44 mag pistol. 180gr. Seirra Pro-Hunter in my 30-06's and 165gr. Hornady SP Interlock in my 308. My 243 I use a 90gr. Speer Hot-Cor. I use what ever bullet shoots really accurate for my gun and will perform as intended for the range I plan on hunting.

Last edited by fritz1; 02-09-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

I've never found deer that hard to kill. I've probably killed the most deer with 117 gr Sierra GameKings from my .257 Ackley. I've killed deer with just about everything from a .22 LR (legal in Montana) to a .45 cal lead round ball from my blackpowder percussion rifle.

Bullet placement is far more important than bullet type or size.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

if im just using factory ammo i usually opt for the low to mid priced stuff. fusion right now is my go to brand with the exception of hornady for my enfields and 7.62x39s. i get good penetration with both brands in all the offerings ive used from them. one really didnt make the deer more dead then the other. if im punching paper american eagle or s&b. in my opinion, if your not reloading some premium brands really arent worth the time and money for deer. most factory ammo really shouldnt be used beyond 500 yards so most of the cheaper stuff will do the job providing your barrel likes the load. the only time i go out of my way to use premium bullets is when i cook up the load myself. waaaayyyy down range is where premium bullets really make a difference on deer. knowing how much can go wrong i dont trust someone else to make a load for me. if im loading it myself, the 178 .308 hornady a-max is probably my favorite bullet in anything from 30-30 (single shot rifle) to 30-06
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

140 grain Hornady bts have flattened everything that I launched them at. I have hundreds of grand slams, partitions and silvertips, and haven't really noticed much of a difference in performance on deer sized game. On moose and elk I use the partitions and grand slam. The lighter cup and cores explode in deer. I have had good success with the Speer hot cores. As soon as my 140's are gone, it will be 150 grain hot cores. They work.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

Some how Speer's Spitzer BT. Has found it's way into every big game rifle I own. It's a cup/core bullet and I have connected with a ton of animals and the ones that stayed in the animals looked like perfect mushrooms. My .308 diameter 165gr. SPBT has a BC of .520 that's pretty high in a hunting bullet. I've won several match shoots with it also so that's very nice to double as a intermediate match round too. After 25 years I'm more than convinced of it's durability. I'm bias it's a family tradition my dad has used it for almost 40 years without fail. I do also like Hornady Amax bullets but I don't hunt with them on big game. If it don't have a boat tail it don't have no appeal to me.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
any cup/core bullet that any given rifle shoots accurately will work for deer if the impacts are held to around 2800 fps, faster than that ya need a controlled expansion bullet mainly to cut down on meat loss. but then again it also depends on how much resistance the bullet meets.

RR
What types do you recommend for faster speeds?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
What types do you recommend for faster speeds?
Nosler Accubonds. They shoot great and are a really tough bullet. I bought some Swift Scirocco II's that I am going to try this year. I havnt shot them yet but they are a really good looking bullet and are a bonded bullet like the Accubond. I cant wait for the snow to melt here so I can get out and work up some loads. I have also heard good things about the Hornady Interbond, but I have never shot them. Then there is the old standard for a premium hunting bullet, the Nosler Partition, not much you can say about this one, it is a great bullet that works!

Last edited by fritz1; 02-10-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Spike

I have always been a partition nut. But things do change.
I really am impressed with Accubonds myself. Last years Buck I had a similar exit wound at 80 yards from a 300 wsm 150 gr. moving 3100 fps. the bullet did not blow up as I expected it would.
I had a hard time believing the exit wound after breaking the entry leg clean in half at that speed would not have more meat damage. You could almost eat up to the hole. Awesome bullet performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.