Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Winchester Model 70, 30-06. Synthetic Black Stock. >

Winchester Model 70, 30-06. Synthetic Black Stock.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Model 70, 30-06. Synthetic Black Stock.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Spike

Default Winchester Model 70, 30-06. Synthetic Black Stock.

It's a G serial number, but I can't get any other info on the gun. Looks like a Black Shadow, but doesn't say Black Shadow on the barrell. What do I have.
Came w/ a Leupold VX-3, 3.5x10 gloss black scope.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one. I believe it mid 1990's vintage. Nice shooting gun and fairly accurate. Trigger should be lightened up a bit but other than that a great gun.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Mine says XTR on the barrel, has a matt blue finish.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 AM
Spike

Finally found what it is. I've been reading its a wally world special and all this depressing Literature due to the fact I traded a nice Savage .270 model 11 wood w/ a Meopta Meastar R1 4x16x44 scope for this Synthetic Model 70 30-06, w/ a Leupold Vari X-3, 3.5x10x40 and $160.00.
Why...? It's lighter and I wont beat up the synthetic stock in the mountains, while bear hunting.
Anyway, It's the Model 70 DBM. NOW, I'm just hoping the gun isn't a Wally world speacial. But atleast the scope is higher end.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camo Mike
Finally found what it is. I've been reading its a wally world special and all this depressing Literature due to the fact I traded a nice Savage .270 model 11 wood w/ a Meopta Meastar R1 4x16x44 scope for this Synthetic Model 70 30-06, w/ a Leupold Vari X-3, 3.5x10x40 and $160.00.
Why...? It's lighter and I wont beat up the synthetic stock in the mountains, while bear hunting.
Anyway, It's the Model 70 DBM. NOW, I'm just hoping the gun isn't a Wally world speacial. But atleast the scope is higher end.

Being from Walmart will not contribute or detract from it's quality or accuracy. The gun will have come off the line with the same specs that others of that model possess. You might get lucky and get a shooter or get unlucky and get one that won't shoot 3" at 100. You could get the same thing by buying that same model anywhere else. Winchester, or any other manufacturer doesn't have time or money to set up different lines to produce varying levels of quality for the same models.

Hope you enjoy your M70. I always wanted one and someday I plan to place one in the locker. Don't know if I'll buy a vintage pre-64 or not (probably not) but I'd be happy to have one of decent quality that was a decent shooter. Don't need a pretty gun, just a decent shooter. I'm thinking I might buy a used m70 of a more recent manugacture aFTER they went back to the controlled round feed.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Spike

I guess your right. I've read many different opinions on this subject. Many say that Walmart carries a lower end product because of there buying power to sell at a lower price then all competitors.

Since the gun was on Winchesters site and there's literature on it, I'm feeling better about what I have. I've read many strong reviews about the DBM, except for one problem. The spring in the Magazine apparently breaks. But, since it's 20 years old and still kicking, I shouldn't have to much to worry about.

Now, since the gun was only made for ONE year, I need to get in line and find a couple back up magazines, just in case. Apparently they're extremely hard to find.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just spent about 15 minutes looking and found that you're right ... they will be pretty hard to find.
I did find this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/896...70-long-action

But it's pretty pricey and calls for a bunch of fitting (according to the one written review in the link). It also says it doesn't include the magazine, so probably no spring either.

I'd say you could probably get a gunsmith to fashion a spring for you that would serve the purpose, but waiting until it breaks will have you without the gun whether you're waiting to have a spring fashioned or whatever.

I'd take the gun, whole and unbroken as it is now, to your gunsmith and let him know your concern. He'll probably give you the best advice possible about either acquiring the part in question or about how he can get one made for you.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default Winchester DBM Magazines

Hey, Camo Mike!

I was digging in several boxes of magazines in the basement of a gun store today. I thought I had found some FN Patrol box mags because they looked the same. Stainless body, stamped blue base, tabs to latch into rifle, black polymer follower, funky over engineered springs tacked on fore and aft, D stamped on side, etc. Sound familiar? I got home and found they were longer than my 308 mags. I slipped some 30 06 cartridges in them and they fit perfectly. I don't think the police rifles ever came chambered in 30aught6 or I could do some scalping on an FN forum. The mags have no wrapper but appear brand new after I wiped the dust off. If you could reimburse me for them(20 bucks each) and some postage, I will be very happy to unload my shopping mistake. chilke @hotmail
Old 02-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Spike

Right on!! I'll take them. Just tell me how to get you paid.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that's what I call serendipitous!!!

Way cool of you Bloke. Lucky find and nice offer to help out Camo Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.