Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Nikon M-308 vs M-223 for .223 >

Nikon M-308 vs M-223 for .223

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Nikon M-308 vs M-223 for .223

Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nikon M-308 vs M-223 for .223

I know the obvious is that one says 308 and the other says 223. BUT!!! I am looking at the NikoPlex and and NOT BDC for my reticle. I saw that Cabelas has the M-308 with mount for an AR on sale now for $540 or so. I am wanting to put this on my upcoming RRA A4 in 5.56/223.
So can they calibrate the turrets for that style of projectile even with the Plex crosshairs and not the BDC? They want $486 just for the 223 scope without a mount and the mount is another $100. Whats your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

[quote=SecondChance;4036770]
So can they calibrate the turrets for that style of projectile even with the Plex crosshairs and not the BDC? quote]

Per the Nikon website:
"Rapid Action Turret Technology: This incredible new system, based on a .223/5.56mm 55-grain polymer tipped bullet"

Looks like they have it calibrated for only the above bullet, no mension of different bullets.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't buy factory calibrated turrets, but to each their own.

Considering myself in your position here, $36 isn't enough for me to fuss with getting a scope with the wrong turrets and mess with trying to buy new turrets for it, that will likely cost you more than the $36 you're trying to save anyway. If you're looking for a scope calibrated to your cartridge and load, then buy the right one...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Major Woods;4037091]
Originally Posted by SecondChance
So can they calibrate the turrets for that style of projectile even with the Plex crosshairs and not the BDC? quote]

Per the Nikon website:
"Rapid Action Turret Technology: This incredible new system, based on a .223/5.56mm 55-grain polymer tipped bullet"

Looks like they have it calibrated for only the above bullet, no mension of different bullets.
Just got off the phone with Nikon Tech staff and they said that I am good to go. I was correct with that the BDC could for a .223 could not be used with the .308 and vice versa. BUT, I could use the Nikoplex system with either on any weapon. Their NikoPlex Monarch systems do not use the calibrated turret caps unless specified.