Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
338 WM groupings >

338 WM groupings

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

338 WM groupings

Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
... having a grip on the fore arm instead of letting it jump on its own.
These types of rifles have a bunch of jump off of the front bag if you don't hold them down. I have seen guys shoot them like target/varmit rifles - and the results have always been poor. Even if you did manage to sight it in without a forend hold, you probably would have had a big difference in POI when you shot it from field positions.

Remember the jump issue if you shoot it from a hard rest in the field (log, rock, etc.), and don't rest the rifle directly on the hard surface. A small pad like a hat, gloves, etc. between the rifle and a hard rest will make a world of difference.

It sounds like you have it solved.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
I went out and shot 2 groups last night and really took my time. First group had 2 touching and one about 1" above. The second group had 2 touching and one about 2" above. Only difference was have lots of time and having a grip on the fore arm instead of letting it jump on its own. I am thinking it may have been the shooter and a bit of fear of the recoil of the 338. I will try again very shortly when I have enough time to not feel rushed. I was about to send it in and just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. Now I have at least caused myself to question the first sessions.
My neighbor was having a problem like that and eventually found that the monting screws on the scope mount were just snug, not tight. I was all in the scope.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad its performing better. I'd still have it bedded, make sure the stock touch is removed and if need be while at the smiths have him touch up your trigger too. No need for a hair trigger but 3lbs ish seems to work for a lot of big game hunter rifles.

I agree you have to shoot it or know it better then a 270 though don't over do it either. I like to take a low recoiler when going with a stouter recoil rifle, this gives me a break and time to cool between groups.

Good Luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Spike

I would recommend buying or borrowing a lead sled. You do not want to develop a flinch while "learning" or becoming accustomed to the increased recoil.
I shoot a .340 weatherby and Have shot and handloaded this round for years. I do not use the sled all the time but when I start ramping up my shooting activities in the spring I use it.
Recoil that is generated from these mid bore magnums is serious stuff and can affect your shooting for a long time. Get a sled, use it until you feel like the gun is not going to hurt you and your confidence is up because you KNOW you will hit your target. Then start shooting from field positions to build your confidence. If you feel a flinch coming get back on the sled. eventually you will not need the sled.
I still use my sled often with sand bags especially when I am breaking in a new rifle or early season shooting some bigger stuff.
The up side is you have chosen a wonderful caliber. My hunting partner shoots a 338 win mag in fact I handload for him. He is very happy with it.
I would for sure bed the action and do the trigger work you will more than likely own this gun a long time.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

i have been shooting from my lead sled for sometime now but i am still getting 1 out of 3 not where i am happy with it. last night i shot one group @ 100yards. all were at the same elevation one was dead on one was perhaps 1/2" to the right and the other was 1 1/2" left making for an over all 2" group. still not happy but i may have rushed a bit because of other activity on the public range. i will try again today and hopefully be able to take plenty of time.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Spike

I would try different ammo. It is not uncommon for a rifle barrel to not like a particular load.
That is one of the real advantages of handloading. You can change components until you find what your rifle likes to eat. And you are not dropping 60 bucks a box to try it out. sometimes you hit it right off the bat and other times well...you don't.
action bedding/free float barrel is still a good idea.