Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tell me about HOWA rifles >

Tell me about HOWA rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tell me about HOWA rifles

Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tell me about HOWA rifles

I don't know much about them, been doing some research online and I like what I see. Sounds like they are pretty well built, and personally I like the looks of them. I've not seen much negative at all.

Anyone out there use HOWA rifles? Tell me about them. No one around here sells them, so I can't go touch one. Anything models to look for or stay away from?

They don't offer a .260 from what I could see, wish they did. I like the smaller model, ranch hand I think its called. Nice compact gun.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had two Smith and Wesson 1500's which is the Howa. One was a sporter model 338. That thing was too light and kicked like a mule. The other was a bull barrel 223. The strange thing about this gun was I had to sight it in every time I took it out. It was super accurate but it would not hold zero. I found out that it was the stock that was taking on moisture and would warp a little. I traded the gun for a 243.
I think they are good rifles but at the time I was new to shooting and wanted to go a different direction. I would buy another and I like the looks of the Howa Axiom camo. I would take one in a 223. Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

My daughter and niece both hunt with Weatherby Vanguards (in .243 Win) which are Howa 1500's and they are very accurate, well built and handle well. For the price it is hard to beat them. I also have a friend, he and his son both use S&W 1500's...think it may be the only rifles they have ever hunted with...both in 30-06 and they really love them.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default Howa 1500

This is a good solid rifle. I prefer the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard to a Remington 700 anyday. I own Remington 700's & Howa's in many forms. The Howa has been labeled Weatherby Vanguard, S&W 1500, Mossberg 1500 & 1700. This rifle has been around for a long time. The Howa is offered in 6.5X55 which is very close to the .260 Rem. you're looking for. If you don't mind ordering your ammo there are many loads available for the 6.5X55 & the ones loaded by Lapua are the best. If you have a Wal-Mart near they often have the Weatherby Vanguard's in stock. If you want the 6.5X55 Howa you will have to order it but you can't go wrong with a Howa in any form. Good luck on your purchase!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Spike

I've got a Vanguard which is a Howa built rifle. Even says made in ***an on the gun. They are superb rifles. Rock solid action and accuracy on par with Remington and Savage. Mine has a nice trigger around 3.5 pounds with just a tiny bit of creep, but it breaks like glass. Though I would just get a Vanguard Series 2.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Spike

LOL the name of the country (J-A-P-A-N) was filtered for the first three letters.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

My 1st cf was a 308 howa, I still have it. It started off life as a barreled action in a bc stock. I've added to the collection with a couple of more over the years, I wouldn't hesitate to get another if I need or wanted another
Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good info guys, thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

I shoot a Vanguard 270 and love it. I also have my Dad's old 308, which is a Howa. I haven't shot it much, but have seen it dust a lost of deer in my lifetime. From what I've seen they seem to be solid guns!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a .300 Weatherby Vanguard, made by Howa, about 5 years ago. I'm getting sub-moa groups with both 168gr and 180gr Barnes TSX bullets, and almost half moa groups with 168 gr Barnes TTSX bullets. It also shoots several types of Cup and core bullets very well, and 160 gr cast bullets well enough for very cheap practice.

I've used it on hunts in Texas, Montana, and South Africa, and it is one of my favorite rifles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.