Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
SS T/C Omega Barrel Scratched >

SS T/C Omega Barrel Scratched

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SS T/C Omega Barrel Scratched

Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Spike

Default SS T/C Omega Barrel Scratched

I am looking for some help. I noticed some rust on my stainless steel T/C Omega muzzleloader and read to use a scotch brite pad and some light oil to remove the rust. Unfortunately, I used a green abrasive pad which is all I could find at the store and it ended up leaving some scratches on the outside of the barrel. I did not realize this pad would be too rough and I would need a lighter one. I have tried blending the scratches by working the pad over the length of the barrel but I don't really like the look of the grain. I picked up a grey and white scotch pad from an auto parts store to try and rub them out but it hasn't really helped. I was hoping I could get some tips on what I should try. I've considered having the barrel refinished but don't know much about it or how much it would cost. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depending on how bad you messed it up I would try steel wool to get it squared away and then get some cold blue and follow the instructions to try and blend the scratches in and prevent more rusting. It may require repeating the process several times to get it close to where it should be. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, you'll probably have to decide whether to leave it as is or go to a smith that can do a hot blue on the entire thing.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-10-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Depending on how bad you messed it up I would try steel wool to get it squared away and then get some cold blue and follow the instructions to try and blend the scratches in and prevent more rusting. It may require repeating the process several times to get it close to where it should be. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, you'll probably have to decide whether to leave it as is or go to a smith that can do a hot blue on the entire thing.
TG from the OPs post I believe the barrel is stainless.
Stop sanding, find someone who can bead blast it.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

"TG from the OPs post I believe the barrel is stainless."
Stop sanding, find someone who can bead blast it.

Mea Culpa! Yep, I read too fast and missed the stainless part. That explains why he was using what he was and not going through the procedure I mentioned. Maybe my post will help others having some minor problems with blued guns!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was looking at a couple different rifles that I own with stainless barrels trying to figure out how they finish them. They appear to be bead blasted...I was hoping someone would chime in that knows.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I did a google and think that the following link will answer your question:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=345633
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I did a google and think that the following link will answer your question:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=345633
Thanks TG. Good information there. Should help the op too.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Spike

Thanks for the responses and the link top gun. Any idea how much bead blasting the barrel would cost?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

This place in the link is as reputable as you will find for all types of services and it looks like right around $125 including shipping:

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-price-list.php
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could also have the whole gun camo dipped prob in the $125 range. Or just the barrel, for less.