Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Mini 14 won't completely cycle . . . >

Mini 14 won't completely cycle . . .

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mini 14 won't completely cycle . . .

Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Banned

Default Mini 14 won't completely cycle . . .

14 year old (but very little use) mini 14. Just got it for Xmas. It worked fine first time I took it out. Flawless.
Then I took it apart and back together (using Ruger's videos) to clean. Now it will fire, eject casing, insert new cartridge, but not fire. It's as if it is not cocking the firing pin. Once fired and new cartridge is in chamber, I can pull the bolt back 1 3/4 to 2" with new cartridge in it and then it will fire. . . once. Then I pull back again and it fires.
Have I screwed something up by not putting it back together properly? And what is it?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Simple math would say: 1Worked fine+1Took apart and put back together=2 Doesn't work now! I would take it apart again slowly while following instructions to find out where you screwed up that is making it not cock after the initial firing/ejection cycle.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Banned

I just shot it again and it is working perfectly. I must have not got the bolt in right the first time I disassembled and cleaned it.
Practice . . . practice . . . practice!

"LIKE MY WIFE ALWAYS TELLS ME . . . NO BRAINS, NO HEADACHES!"

Last edited by dig4gold; 01-08-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you figured it out. Now you need to look at a bunch of Mini 14 posts and you tubes to find out what you may have done ... to insure you don't do it again.

Good to know it's functioning properly again.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read this thinking you may own the only mini 14 that didn't cycle and fire. That is one thing they are legendary for...reliability.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Banned

I know I've had trouble getting the bolt back in and the slide working smoothly.
I see why they say; "Mini 14 is the best shotgun Ruger made." Spray and pray brother . . . but I love it!