Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What makes a great hunting rifle? >

What makes a great hunting rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What makes a great hunting rifle?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really was into rifles years ago. Worked in a gun shop. Many guns are great hunting rifles. I have always preferred bolt actions for the strength, performance for a given cartridge, etc. When I was working at the shop, I picked up a used gun that I will use until I can't hunt anymore, then give it to my son. Husqvarna M 8000 with a silky smooth, very strong action, and light weight. Put it in a Brown Precision fiberglass stock. The rifle (30/06) shoots under MOA, handles loads that showed pressure signs in most of the other /06s that I had over the years. Just lucked into a gun that is good enough that I have no desire to buy any other. Never thought I would say that.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Typical Buck

For me it's fit. A rifle that you can throw up and your already looking at your animal through the scope is perfect fit. Accuracy is a given your either shooting your rifle good or your not. Triggers depending on which rifle they all have a different feel but several can be close to the same feel and release. And that saying I don't want to know when the rifle is going to fire is a myth to me. I do a lot of offhand shooting and I don't mind a little pull but anything over 4lbs is not a very good trigger. Weight has never been a issue for me I actually prefer to hold the weight. I don't own a non accurate firearm, granted I've traded a few off that were sub par. So I say if your rifle don't fit how you shoot get rid of it. Living in elk country I'd say 80% of my shots have been under 10 second time frame. So being a successful hunter year after year means you may not get that perfect set up to make a perfect shot. So you better know your rifle well and be able to shoot it in all positions well. If you and the rifle can do that then you have a great hunting rifle.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Nice looks, effective caliber, effective range, light weight, and accuracy
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

1. Overall fit & balance

2. Trigger pull crisp & 2.5 lb. or a bit less

3. accuracy, which the first two play a large part in.

4. Very flat shooting. Exact caliber would depend on what I would use it for.

5. Action would depend on my intended use, bolt action most likely.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Spike

this right here. New Haven 70 in 300 wsm, high grade FW stock bedded to a stainless barrel and action. Zeiss and warne rings. To me thats pure hunting heaven right there.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Beautiful wood.................. nice gun !!!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Beautiful wood.................. nice gun !!!
Thank you sir. Sure is a fine shooter too.