Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Stainless vs Blue >

Stainless vs Blue

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless vs Blue

Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

for me its stainless if i can get it. I think it is more resilant to weather and rust which i like. Not gonna pass up a gun because of it but if i have a choice and the price is the same or close i grab stainless.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default In either, after thirty years

they still work for me. No complaints from me.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I've got guns that I bought before we could get stainless, they still look fine...

Don't care for stainless, or plastic stocks, they are for folks that don't know how to take care of their equipment.....
DING DING DING we have a winnuh!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
DING DING DING we have a winnuh!!!

Different hunts may need a bit of extra care. If ya go on a hardcore 2 - 3 week coastal hunt in varying extreme conditions.
It may not matter how good ya take care of yer goods.
You may be the god of caring, but with extreme conditions , losing may be your nemesis.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer the look of a blued, walnut stocked rifle. But that is just aesthetics, and I know it doesn't relate to the hunting qualities of the rifle. Probably a stainless steel barrel and a synthetic stock are better materials for hunting, more robust and resistant to the elements.

Having said that -- and not meaning to rain on the parade of stainless/synthetic fans -- for me hunting is not just the killing of the animal, it is the whole deal. It is sleeping in a canvas wall tent at 11000' and smelling wood smoke, seeing the dull glow of the hot steel of the wood stove, hearing the wood snap and crackle. I suppose another form of heat might be more efficient and easier to deal with -- a propane heater? -- but it just wouldn't have the same aesthetic appeal. I like the feel of a walnut stocked rifle in my hands and the look of a deep blued barrel. I just like it better. If I have a choice, I buy the wood stocked, blued barreled hunting rifle. I'm not implying stainless/synthetic fans are ONLY about killing the animal: I'm just explaining in a bigger context my responses and inclinations.

I don't hunt where it rains much, however. If I did maybe I would change my tune.