Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New .243? Which rifle? >

New .243? Which rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New .243? Which rifle?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default New .243? Which rifle?

Ok. I've been wanting a new hunting rifle for quite some time and have settled on the .243 Win. I just can't decide which rifle. I have a thing for "pretty rifles" and I'm considering a Savage Model 14 American Classic or a Remington Model Seven CDL. Does anyone have any experience with either of these rifles?? I've owned a Savage before and have nothing but good to say about it. I have no experience with Remington however and have heard mixed things on their quality these days. All input is appreciated.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...seven-cdl.aspx
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Remington Model 7 but it's not chambered in .243Win. It is a great handling rifle and very smooth action. It is one of my favorite rifles. You could do far worse than the Mod 7. They are light weight and handle quick. I have no first hand experience with Savage other than an old model 340 in 30-30 so I can't say much about them. Other rifles to consider are Tikka and CZ as well as Howa/Weatherby vanguard, and Browning. They are all accurate well built rifles. I have heard and read good things about the new Winchesters as well.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget the Ruger models either.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, a new FN made Winchester M70 Featherweight is a very nice rifle and would be my pick over the two you listed.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

My choice would be the Remington.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Model 7's are very nice. Great combination of size, weight, and quality. My son has a Ruger M77 compact in .243, its nice too...but I personally like Remingtons better.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I bought my son a Model 7 .243-Youth Model for his 13th Birthday. Just purchased the full size stock for him for Christmas, as he outgrew the youth stock a couple years back... It's an awesome rifle. Puts the bullet right where you aim it.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

I would go with the Savage American Classic, but the Remington is nice also. You wont go wrong with either. I believe for out of the box accuracy, the Savage would get the nod. I recently bought a Savage Light Weight Hunter but also looked at both rifles you mentioned while I was there. I always liked Remington but when I looked at the new Remingtons in person I wasnt impressed. They look great untill you look at the recoil pad, it looks like it dont even fits the rifle. Other than that it was good looking gun but the Savage has a much nicer fit and finish. By the way, that wasnt just one particular Remington rifle, everone they had in the shop was like that, all models. If you look close at the picture you put up on there website, you will see what I am talking about, the recoil pad looks to big for the rifle, it doesnt line up with the lines on the stock. Although you could buy a new recoil pad and have a gunsmith fit it to the stock like it should have been done.

Last edited by Jim Burns; 12-06-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
IMO, a new FN made Winchester M70 Featherweight is a very nice rifle and would be my pick over the two you listed.
Just had that rifle in my hands a couple of hours ago @ BassPro shops.It would be my number 1 choice also.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Fork Horn

Mavwreak1975,
Of course "pretty" is different for everyone, but, I believe Browning makes a nice one. Especially, the A Bolt. It even has a "pretty" gold trigger!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.