Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bullet fail... >

Bullet fail...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullet fail...

Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I stick to partitions. May be older technology, and may not have perfect long range BC, but the things work great in magnums. The Swift Aframes would be the only thing with lead that I consider an improvement.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
kirby allen extensively tested the partition and accubond head to head, his results were interesting.
RR
What was interesting about them?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

kirby allen extensively tested the partition and accubond head to head, his results were interesting.
RR
Didn't have much luck googling for it, my google-fu must be weak. What little came up, mentioned a grossly overbore cartridge in 257 cal, zinging a 120gr partition out, and it blew its guts out when it struck the test medium, or something along those lines. Ive blasted a buck at 50yrds with a partition in a 7mm mag, once thru the shoulders with both shots complete pass-thru's. Using rather small bore bullets and running at hyper velocities, I think you are more likely to see catastrophic failures, vs using 7mm-30-8mm-338 cal. due to intended bullet design, IMO at least. When using a magnum, I also stick with heavy for caliber bullets, ie 200gr in a 300rum, 160gr in a 7mm mag.

Something else to consider, when using test mediums, they are what they are, test mediums and not real world testing. Thru technology we strive to test things by simulating the load something is likely to endure, so we can see how things will behave. Anyone in engineering will say though, that sometimes the real world test is the best test, and the only really accurate test. This is no different. Pumpkins, watermelons, milk jugs etc are nice for causing expansion, and trying to guess what would really happen, but if you really want to know, you're going to have to put it to use and see how it really performs. If there are wild hogs in your area, they are typically considered open game, and shoot as many as you can. Thats a good test bed, and if its a particularly big one, the frontal area can pose problems for penetration. Use those badboys for bullet testing, and you'll get a pretty good idea of how something will react. At least until they start a hunting season for milk jugs lol
Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

This exact ammo has also been used on two deer, neither one got pass thru's...
Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

well if you can drive a partition fast enough that the impact ruptures the H-Mantle, penetration stops cold, the accubond may become just a twisted piece of copper and lead but doesn't stop till it runs out of steam.
yes the 257 AM is over bore, but high velocity impacts are a bullets only enemy, how much velocity it can stand depends on how its made.
RR
Question is, how fast do you really have to drive a partition to do that? In the case of my 7mm mag, it's driving a bullet at about 2900fps at the muzzle, and its still flying fast at 50yds, yet it did not fail. I am sure if I drove it to over 3500fps muzzle velocity, it would blow apart, but that is beyond what is realistic in even todays hunting. With the large number of animals taken without incident with the partition, I say Allen either got a faulty lot of bullets, or drove it well beyond its engineering limits. Consider this, when the bullet makers make a controlled expansion bullet, do you think they just throw together a design, or do they consider cartridges available at the time or near future to determine the velocities it should operate? The 375 caliber bullets are a great example of this. Most guns of this caliber operate close or slightly above the 375H&H case in speed. The 378WBY is an exception and pushes most bullets well beyond their design limits at closer range hunting. Allen's test I feel are comparing apples to oranges as he is using something few use, and the far majority of guns of 257 cal are going to be slower, in other words, not a real world test. Also, if you do some research on the various federal agencies, and their ballistics tests that are run to decide what brand of bullet to run, it shows certain bullets react to obstacles differently than others. Whether it be hollowpoints, or softpoints, there can be a difference, and just like most any other testing, real world testing ALWAYS trumps all other testing. Put that partition in a hog, and show me how it blows apart.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

We shot again tonight, he had 3 left in his mag from that box. Of course we forgot the chrony, but I'm almost positive that they were NOT shooting at max velocity. He has a Leupold VX-2 with the the crosshair then two dots under it (not sure what reticle that is) and he had the hold the bottom dot! I checked it and it was nearly 20" holdover! That's waaaay too much for a .270 WSM sighted in at 200!

The first shot was low and by the third shot he was on and using the bottom dot on the scope. Switched ammo to the different lot number box, and using the same POA he was a foot plus high. Got dialed in and of course blew the jug up like its suppose to.

I believe he has 2 more from that first box, if he finds them then we will chrony those.

It also makes sense if they weren't quite full power because he's always had trouble with his gun (Benelli R1) ejecting them...
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

When the accubond first came out and I got to see a few animals hit with it I wasn't impressed at first. But then rational thinking came into place. If the bullet delivers that much terminal shock within the first few inches of entering the animal but yet still carries enough weight retention to get to the opposite side of the animals body. That is one massive wound channel. As with most bullets there's bound to be a shoulder joint or some other large bone from a miscued hit that's going to show you complete bullet failure. Especially when your talking elk sized game.

I'm not promoting Accubonds. I just think they do okay. We all know what happens when you drive a plastic wedge back into lead. Your going to lose 30% or more of your bullet in the initial impact. This is what made the v-max bullet so popular with coyotes, it didn't have the weight retention to tear up the other side most times. It's the same with most polymer tipped bullets vs high velocity. For the Accubond it's built tougher than a v-max but the concept is still there. It does okay. In the larger calibers that are slower the Accubond creates quite a devastating thump.

Barnes was mentioned before I won't comment nor hurt anyone's feelings today.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Switch over to the Swift Sirocco IIs and you won't have to worry about the blow ups and lack of penetration. They do better than the Accubonds with their bonding so weight retention is higher. Ofcourse they are more money than the accubonds.