Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
223 for deer? >

223 for deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

223 for deer?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations, fritz, once again.

You have proven that old adage correct.

Its better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and proven one.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Congratulations, fritz, once again.

You have proven that old adage correct.

Its better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and proven one.
Exactly how did I prove that? By shooting another nice deer? And doing it with a 223? By the way what did you get this year?

Not bad for a liberal hunter. Huh? A pretty consistent and sucsessfull liberal hunter, I might add.

Last edited by fritz1; 11-26-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fritz1
Exactly how did I prove that? By shooting another nice deer? And doing it with a 223? By the way what did you get this year?

Not bad for a liberal hunter. Huh? A pretty consistent and sucsessfull liberal hunter, I might add.
We didn't get a suspension,lol. For some people, no explanation is needed. They wouldn't get it if it smacked them in the head.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

You can kill a deer with a .22, does that make it a good deer rifle. In my opinion a .223 will work but the shot had better be perfect and alot of hunters may not be able to shoot with such accuracy.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Typical Buck

I've killed a bunch of whitetail with a 22-250 just to do it because in some states it's legal. I will say this the way most people can shoot I'm sure glad Colorado has a 6mm/243 minimum for big game. Except Mountain Lion then you can use a .223. Your right RR this is a can of worms because what one man can do another may not be able to replicate.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Its kind of like being an 80 year old man, and trolling the high school parkinglots looking for an 18y/o to date. Just because you could, doesn't mean you should. And judging off some other posts in other realms, I think it was all about trying to prove something. And indeed he did. Good job skinning though.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Not again !

I will still contend that you can bang a nail into a board with a wrench; however I prefer to use a hammer.

Right tool for the right job - that's all.
+1...there's a reason several states have 6mm/.243 cal minimums for big game...

PS...On the bloodshot meat issue...I shot 4 deer this year with 140g Nosler AccuBonds from a 270 WSM...ranges varied between 46 and 248 yards...I didn't lose 3 pounds of meat total on all 4 deer combined...shot placement is critical for quick ethical kills and reduction of meat loss. I wouldn't want to chance a 223 round hitting a bone wrong and simply wounding an animal that takes hours to die...or longer.

Last edited by emtrescue6; 11-27-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Here we go again....I am willing to bet most of you posting on this topic is never shot a deer with a .223! So don't knock it! A .223 is a very efficient deer killer with the correct bullet and shot placement.....now tell me shot placement is critical on a .308, .270, or my most hated cartridge the '06. I have used everything. I am a handloader and can tell you if you put a 60 grain Nosler Partion, 70 Grain Speer, several Grain Barnes X bullets, or a 65 Sierra Game King behind the shoulder of a whitetail it is all over! It is going to kill just as fast as any other rifle cartridges you guys say are better. Now my father, uncles, cousins, and myself have did it many times. Never even lost a deer on a bad shot. I live in Va now and it is not legal but I do still hunt West Va a few days a year and when I do I carry my .223. Now if your using factory ammo shoot em in the neck.... I will give you 223 haters that, but if you reload or can get your hands on a "premium" 22 cal deer bullet don't hesitate taking that shot (in the body). I will give you 223 haters one more example....I shot a 10 point 158 lb buck last Friday chasing a doe thru a laurel thicket....I was using my Ruger M77 7x57 aka 7mm Mauser loaded hot with a 139 Hornady Interlock....I saw the size of the deer and antlers saw brown and pulled the trigger....dead deer. I would never had did that with the 223 because shot placement is a lot more critical with a .22 cal deer bullet. By the way contact Nosler, Barnes, or Sierra and the bullets I mentioned above were designed and built for guess what.....deer! Now that my blood pressure has dropped a bit I will say this. If you have the patience to wait on a perfect broadside, quartering to or away, neck or a perfect straight on chest shot you can't go wrong with a .223. But hold on look at the shots I just listed....that is what you should do with any "deer killer cartridge/caliber". Now if you hunt an area like I do that was logged 20 years ago and no clear shots over 20 yards and your lucky to see a deer let alone a buck....go with a rifle....like myself and my 7X57 Mauser. And the bull crap some of you guys saying a 223 is a marginal man killer.....come on and get your head out of your a^&^s. Talk to a Vietnam vet and ask them how there "223" did. If Va ever legalizes .22 cal for deer hunting it will see action on some areas I hunt. My daughter who is 2.5 years old already has a .223 and I will bet anyone her first deer will be taken with a 223 as was my first probably 15 deer!

I did not proof read any of this...please exuse any bad spelling/grammer.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

And by the way you guys talking about a chance of a bad shot hitting bone or bad shot placement.....that dosen't happen to me unless I choose to take a running or bad shot at a big buck because I am confident in my equipment. That tells me they can't shoot!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

One more....btw....Great buck! Great Shooting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.