Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A Good .22

Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default A Good .22

I am looking at getting a .22 for my son. As with all my guns I want something that will last a "lifetime". Any recommendations? I am Remington fan and have a knights muzzleloader. I have heard CZ is good?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Marlin model 60, ruger 10-22, or the rem 597. I have all of these except the ruger which i will get some day. Both of the others work fine for me although i got the 597 in the VTR so its not really set up for accuracy. I really like my model 60 thou.. Got it for a steal with a SS barrel and wood stock for $150 at a local Gander a few years back. Haven't had any mis fires using CCI Mini mag's which are the standard by which all other 22LR ammo should be measured IMO.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Do you want a semi-auto, pump, lever, bolt or single shot? Or a pistol?

I currently have a Ruger 10-22 and a browning BLR (lever action). I've previously owned several Remington Nylon 66's and they were fun guns. I also own a few Browning Buckmark 22 pistols and enjoy them too.

It's hard to go wrong with practically any of the 22 rifles or pistols available. Figure out what your son will enjoy and that it fits him for now. If he outgrows it, he can always put it aside for his son or daughter and continue the family tradition. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Spike

My dad just gave me a marlin model 25 that he bought in 1987, the same year i was born. It's a bolt gun and i think it holds 7 rds in a removable mag. the gun has been beat up and used a lot! but still looks, feels, and functions great. I'd recommend finding one of those or something similar.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Cz makes one of the best 22s on the market imo if you want a bolt gun thats what id get. If you want a semiauto its hard to beat a ruger 1022. I also like the remington 552, i cant count the critters ive slain with mine.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=henry...Si4HAAQ&zoom=1

i like the henry's
Old 11-23-2012, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had the same dilemma awhile back. "Last a lifetime" was a criteria as well. Here are my observations:

10/22 - EVERYONE seems to have one of these. Durable, dependable, but a dime a dozen. If I wanted an auto though, this would be my choice.

Marlin 60 - I've had one of these for years. Poor man's 10/22, but not as reliable I've found. In fact, rather "picky" about the ammunition you feed it, and very sensitive to fouling.

Henry - The "nicest gun I wouldn't buy". I couldn't believe the action on these, smooth, positive. Then i got to looking at how it was built. The "action" is a "cassette"-sort of arrangement with painted pot-metal or brass sides. The barrel band was plastic. But real walnut stock (?!). I know a lot of people who have and love theirs, but I didn't see this as something destined to be an heirloom.

CZ - Hands-down the only bolt-action .22 I'd consider. The newer model was supposed to allow barrel swaps as well (the 455?), but as I understand it, also swapped the stamped steel magazines for plastic.

Remington 5 - I wasn't able to find one to look at in person, but from what I've read, this is the competition for the CZ that Remington dropped from the lineup. I suspect that one might still find one new on gunbroker if you look. I couldn't buy one sight unseen, though.

Browning BLR - This one nearly had it for me until I noticed the little plastic piece in the bottom of the receiver. Really? Browning? Everything else was great about this rifle.

Marlin 39 - Adult-sized for sure. Action is stiff, but not a plastic part in the mix, save for the tubular magazine follower. Great wood. Design's been around since .... well, a long time. The only rifle, save the 10/22 and model 60, still being made that I found myself drooling over at 40-some odd years ago when I was 10. In my safe at the moment, waiting for the youngest to grow a bit more.

To be fair, any of these rifles would be the hit of any boy's Christmas. My parents bought me a low-end Savage bolt-action for Christmas that I still wouldn't trade for anything. You'll want it to last, but you'll also want them to use it.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of the above-mentioned choices should suit just fine, as I've had personal experience with just about all of them, either owning or borrowing. I recently picked up an out-of-production Remington Model 541-S that I am extremely pleased with... It shoots really nice, and is a sweetheart to look at.. topped with a Leupy M8 6X, it really lays them in there..
Old 11-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by homers brother
Had the same dilemma awhile back. "Last a lifetime" was a criteria as well. Here are my observations:

10/22 - EVERYONE seems to have one of these. Durable, dependable, but a dime a dozen. If I wanted an auto though, this would be my choice.

Marlin 60 - I've had one of these for years. Poor man's 10/22, but not as reliable I've found. In fact, rather "picky" about the ammunition you feed it, and very sensitive to fouling.

Henry - The "nicest gun I wouldn't buy". I couldn't believe the action on these, smooth, positive. Then i got to looking at how it was built. The "action" is a "cassette"-sort of arrangement with painted pot-metal or brass sides. The barrel band was plastic. But real walnut stock (?!). I know a lot of people who have and love theirs, but I didn't see this as something destined to be an heirloom.

CZ - Hands-down the only bolt-action .22 I'd consider. The newer model was supposed to allow barrel swaps as well (the 455?), but as I understand it, also swapped the stamped steel magazines for plastic.

Remington 5 - I wasn't able to find one to look at in person, but from what I've read, this is the competition for the CZ that Remington dropped from the lineup. I suspect that one might still find one new on gunbroker if you look. I couldn't buy one sight unseen, though.

Browning BLR - This one nearly had it for me until I noticed the little plastic piece in the bottom of the receiver. Really? Browning? Everything else was great about this rifle.

Marlin 39 - Adult-sized for sure. Action is stiff, but not a plastic part in the mix, save for the tubular magazine follower. Great wood. Design's been around since .... well, a long time. The only rifle, save the 10/22 and model 60, still being made that I found myself drooling over at 40-some odd years ago when I was 10. In my safe at the moment, waiting for the youngest to grow a bit more.

To be fair, any of these rifles would be the hit of any boy's Christmas. My parents bought me a low-end Savage bolt-action for Christmas that I still wouldn't trade for anything. You'll want it to last, but you'll also want them to use it.
+1 on the Marlin model 60. I have one (I've had it for years and years - decades... ). The model 60 is a great .22 but as mentioned before, it is finicky with ammo. If I remember, it seemed prefer CCI over anything else. DO NOT feed it that cheap junk from WalMart that's on sale. The model 60 will gag and puke on it after a dozen or so rounds.

The other thing about the model 60, besides it being finicky with ammo, is it's serious demand to be kept clean. Mine has been that way since I was a little kid. It's just the way it is... Model 60's have to be cleaned after probably 50 rounds, or they will start acting funny and will start gagging and puking on ammo.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

if you can find one for the right price i would suggest getting a Winchester model 1890 .22 short. It has to be the most accurate .22 i've shot. Its group will cover a dime a 50 yards. Its a pump action and have a nice heavy octagon barrel. It balances and fits perfect for kids and adult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.